Current FTS

f6452ace391fbb39cc1116479bd4cfb3_zps35c6

IMG_0563.jpg

System details:

Tank Dimensions: 56x24x30
Aprox 150kg LR

Sump Dimensions: 48x15x15
Deep sand bed/Cheato

System Volume: 200 UK galons (909 liters)

Equipment:

Skimmer:
Deltec AP702 Gravity Fed

Return Pumps:
2x OR3500 With feed cut out timer of 30mins

Circulation Pumps:
2x Tunze 6100’s controlled by 7096
2x Tunze 6055 1x Tunze 6025

Heaters:
2x300w 1x100 cotrolled from ATC 800

Chiller/Cooler:
Hailea 300 (not Running)

Bio Reactor:
2little fishes & Bio Pearls, with tmc v400 skimmer on outlet

Calcium Reactor:
Deltec PF501 (Aquamedic Media,
Controlled with TMC ph Controller,
Fed with 6l/h Peri pump

Ozone:
Certizon 200 with controller

Lights:
3x 250w Halides(Iquatics Bulbs 2x 30k& 1x 20k),
2x Blue Aquarays, Compact T5 lighting Sump

Top up:
SelfBuilt with float switch

RO Unit:
RO Man 4 stage 75gpd

Current Fish/Invert List:

True Percula Clownfish x3 (Amphiprion Percula)
Fiji Blue Devil Damselfish (Chrysiptera taupou)
Blue Caribbean Tang (Acanthurus coeruleus)
Yellow Tail Purple (Zebrasoma Xanthurum)
Yellow Tang - Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens)

Current Coral List:

Softies
Lavender Mushroom (Rhodactis sp.)
Thick Finger Leather Coral (Sinularia spp.)
Purple Mushroom (Actinodiscus sp.)
Green Star Polyps (Pachyclavularia)
Purple Tree Gorgonian (Eunicea sp)

LPS
Frogspawn Coral - Branched (Euphyllia paradivisa)

SPS
Cerealis Acropora Coral (Acropora cerealis)
Yellow Cup Turbinaria (Turbinaria sp.)
Pink Birdsnest (Seriatopora Hystrix)
Red/Pink Monti (Montipora Hodgsoni)
Purple Monti ( Montipora Monaseriata)
Blue Stag (Acropora Nobilis)

Water Parameters:

Temperature: 26-27.8°c
pH: 8.3
Salinity: 1.023
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.003
Calcium: 415
dKH: 9.6
Magnesium: 1290
Redox: 285 ish

Nov 11

DayafterMove.jpg

Dec 11

DEC11.jpg

Jan 12

10-01-12.jpg

A quick intro..........(sort of)

I fell upon aquariums about 15 years ago in my early teens, I was given a 3ft aquarium and had it full of Guppies, Platties and any other live bearers I could collect, all of which bred like mad. I then moved on to a few more difficult fish, no not sharks, discus. With this and saving like mad for a brand new display, working all hours a Juwel Rio240 was delivered. At my local shop one day, I was told I wouldn't be able to keep marines as they where to difficult and I didn't have the knowledge ????????(Probably because he didn't stock marines!)

I was about 15/16 at the time so it made me determined! So the story begins, as with most it started with clowns and blossomed from there.

So I saved up again! Which got me a Trigon 350 and it was converted to keep marines.

After a while I persuaded my Nan to get an aquarium as well, she opted for the Trigon 190.

Keeping these 2 tanks I learnt a hell of a lot, mainly to prove I could.

So in are new local shop, one that stocked a decent selection of marines my nan saw a RSM 250, and she fell in love, so she upgraded.

I left school I started a little buisness buying juwel aquariums and setting them up for people, A small income which helped fund things for a while but it wasn't something for dragons den.

I moved out and my trigon 350 became my dads tank. But I still Helped with it all, he just fed them.

With my job I moved around quite a bit so I didn't really have my own aquarium again for about 2 years. This was until I got married and got my own house, only problem, it was a small house.

So I went for a nano, an Osaka 155, which I sumped. I had this for around 3 years. I also had a Bi-orb life 60 with some clowns in which was nice but annoying to maintain.

With a house move imenent I decided to look for a 4x2x2 which quickly turned into a 4x2x2.5

So after trawling the Internet for about 6 months with no joy I looked into an acrylic but 3 ft high, That was the new plan. Then, in 2010 everything went on hold and I was moving to Cornwall, so Back to glass but maybe 5ft instead?

This was all started in August 2010 :wallbash:

I stripped out all Silicone and re-seeled it,

Removed the weir,

Pollished out some scratches

Removed the paint and drilled new outlet holes

IMG00490-20110423-1905.jpg

IMG00488-20110423-1905.jpg

IMG00500-20110424-2048.jpg

IMG00501-20110424-2048.jpg

This is in Cornwall

CIMG1975.jpg

On to the stand:

With the move and everything i didnt start building this till September 2011:

CIMG1976.jpg

CIMG1977.jpg

CIMG1979.jpg

CIMG1980.jpg

CIMG1983.jpg

CIMG1985.jpg

Its in the house!!!!

November 2011

Once in the house Plummed in the pipe work and silicon ed it in to be sure, then i added the weir around for access

CIMG2076.jpg

CIMG2075.jpg

CIMG2077.jpg

CIMG2080.jpg

The original fill to rinse any crap off the rocks and sand.

CIMG2086.jpg

Now on day 3 of yet another fill and this is what it looked like.

As you can see the lights are up and i have started to put the doors and panels on the cab. I have put brushed stainless on the glass corners for protection and asthetics. I also put skirting board round the top to match around the bottom.

I did have cornish sand in at first off a beach :censored2: which was replaced with coral sand. Cheers for the advice on that Jas!!!

:sign_lol:

CIMG2093.jpg

CIMG2094.jpg

CIMG2098.jpg

The day it all moved!!!!!

It was the back end of November 2011

I went balls out and it took me 14 hours.

In went the sump

CIMG2115.jpg

CIMG2116.jpg

Then over the course of the day went the fish and rock!!!

CIMG2100.jpg

CIMG2101.jpg

CIMG2105.jpg

CIMG2109.jpg

CIMG2113.jpg

Before christmas i got a purple Tang. The previous owner had neglected her whole tank, so i felt pretty good having him. The pics where taken 2 days after he went in and he is starting to come out more and enjoy life a bit. He was an Amazing fish!!!

CIMG2136.jpg

I Have just sold him on again as he was really bullying my yellow. Gutted

These are a few pics that where taken during the course of December.

I was playing a bit with the scaping

CIMG2231.jpg

CIMG2239.jpg

CIMG2241.jpg

January 2011

Got right into the scaping after Christmas Got the RHS how I wanted it, I think?

CIMG2220.jpg

CIMG2222.jpg

I then moved on to the LHS

CIMG2212.jpg

CIMG2211.jpg

Which evolved into this:

CIMG2217.jpg

CIMG2219.jpg

Well I'm pretty much up to date! :sign_lol:

Its been a busy few months but its all been worth it.

I will update with a few pics of all my equipment/sump tomorrow.

The next step for the set up is to install a GHL System and tweek the calcium reactor.

I plan on 4 more yellow tangs and an Achilles so far.

:wOOt2:

Thanks for Jas & Lynds for the Help (and Brews)

THANK YOU FOR LOOKING AN I WELCOME ANY COMMENTS.

Great write up there Ben. This tank is even better in the flesh I might add and a bit different as the skimmer is outside lol. Well I shouldn't laugh coz it was pulling out a load of c**p.

looking good :D keep the updates coming.

Thanks mate, I will try and keep it updated. I am going to keep updating the first post with monthly FTS

Ben

Great write up there Ben. This tank is even better in the flesh I might add and a bit different as the skimmer is outside lol. Well I shouldn't laugh coz it was pulling out a load of c**p.

Cheers mate it took me all night to put it up.

Yeah the skimmer is doing a great job:

Pics as promised of the skimmer.

CIMG2226.jpg

CIMG2227.jpg

Pics of the new coral

Acropora Noblis

CIMG2237.jpg

CIMG2243.jpg

CIMG2244.jpg

All looking good Ben, great write up, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Are you going to build an enclosure around the skimmer? as I can see it dropping the temp of tank in winter

All looking good Ben, great write up, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Are you going to build an enclosure around the skimmer? as I can see it dropping the temp of tank in winter

Hi mate,

Yeah I have got a little wooden shed to go round it, only to hide it though. To be honest the lights keep the temperature up anyway. Its like a little chiller, I rekon if it was in the cabinate the temp would saw during the day, more than now!

Ben

Great tank thread,you have some good looking live rock which i bet was tricky to place,the pearl reactor on a 400 could be a bit of a pain because its prone to over flowing being small and fed by a reactor containing pearls,will have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks for adding the tank thread and look forward to your updates m8.

Great tank thread,you have some good looking live rock which i bet was tricky to place,the pearl reactor on a 400 could be a bit of a pain because its prone to over flowing being small and fed by a reactor containing pearls,will have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks for adding the tank thread and look forward to your updates m8.

Cheers mate, i will keep an eye on it.

I do have it running pretty low at the moment it produces about an inch of skim in about 3 weeks. All of the water passes through my main skimmer before it gets to my sump so its just the pearls its skimming. I was thinking of running the outlet from my reactor outside through a chiller and then into the main skimmer if any problems start. what do you rekon so far, can you see anything that could cause any problems?

may see ya at the weekend

Ben

Cheers mate, i will keep an eye on it.

I do have it running pretty low at the moment it produces about an inch of skim in about 3 weeks. All of the water passes through my main skimmer before it gets to my sump so its just the pearls its skimming. I was thinking of running the outlet from my reactor outside through a chiller and then into the main skimmer if any problems start. what do you rekon so far, can you see anything that could cause any problems?

may see ya at the weekend

Ben

The thing with the pearl or pellet process is that you need to skim out as much of the bacteria leaving the reactor as possible because if a load of bacteria pass the skimmer and end up in the tank or sump they will then start to die and create a second nutrient chain,when fully stocked this could be a large amount of bacteria leaving the reactor.The bacteria are very sticky and tend to silt up and clog all in their path lol so direct to skimmer pump or feed is best,even then regular cleaning is a good idea.

I suspect that the 400 skimmer you have connected to the pearl reactor to be way to small and will allow a fair amount of the bacteria to pass it when you eventually use enough media in balance with the tank well stocked.

Right guy's got quite a big update today, my mate Connor came over today and we decided to take a trip to see Jas an Lynds.

Well it was decided that the rock work i have wasn't going to work as an end product.

So with great discusion it was to be brought right down and away from the glass. One for more flow around the corals and 2 so i have more grow out room. SO in the car on the way home me and Connor decided on a plan of action and what it was going to look like.

It began buy removing a load of rock, I tried to get the smaller pieces leaving the bigger pieces to make better shapes. Here are the pics i took during what i was doing.

14-01-11A.jpg

14-01-11B.jpg

14-01-11D.jpg

14-01-11E.jpg

14-01-11G.jpg

14-01-11H.jpg

14-01-11J.jpg

14-01-11I.jpg

I have noticed there has been quite an increase in flow, not sure if its just the debris.

When the new pumps come the flow will be immense.

Im need to remove some of the biopearls as im running to many for now, I am also going to remove the tmc skimmer and runn the exaust into the main skimmer.

Hers me thinking of getting a new Coral?????????????

:sign_lol: