• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Linda

Linda

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

Waiting for my OH to have a haircut yesterday, I went for a walk round an LFS close by. This shop is one I don't normally frequent for several reasons.
They don't look after their tanks very well, they talk a lot of b******t, and will tell people anything to get a sale. They do belong to the 'no dyed fish' group.

Anyway they had about 6 nems in there which had just arrived I suspect as non had attached. One of these was yellow and very pretty. I suspect that it is dyed, but asked lots of questions of 2 different people and was informed that it was a 'Carnation Malu' anemone.

It doesn't look much like a malu to me but I'm not good at Id ing nems. It has a bright orange mantle, tentacles about 1 cm long. It was hungry this morning and had 2 pieces of lance fish, and has spraed itself out, but not moved as yet :secret:

Afraid pics are not very good, but can anyone tell me what it is, and if it is dyed?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

imo thats dyed. you can sometimes tell by looking at the skimmers on the system as when the dye comes out its collected in the skimmer cup.
a lfs i used to go to was a member of the " no dyed fish " gang , but they used to get them in saying "they came in on a delivery without being ordered".

whether its true or not isnt the pint as they were still prepared to sell them.

ive never heard of a carnation anemone so imo they are talking crap

#3 Linda

Linda

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:46 PM

Yeah - that's what I thought B)

Is it worth reporting them do you think?

#4 big chris

big chris

Diatom

• New Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

imo it could be dyed, but

it could be really unhappy and bleaching.

i think its hard to tell from that pic,
Southern Marine Club Southern Marine Club Southern Marine Club Southern Marine Club

SMC

Southern Marine Club Southern Marine Club Southern Marine Club Southern Marine Club

#5 Linda

Linda

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

It doesn't seem to be unhappy. It hasn't wandered at all, reacts well to food and it's mouth it not gaping. The colour isn't quite so garish now though, so maybe it's leaching out.

#6 AhmedLFC

AhmedLFC

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:02 AM

could it be a morph of a carpet nem? have seen them in blue/green, so wouldnt be a great big strech if one was yellow i guess?

#7 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:11 AM

if it is dyed then the dye will slowly come out and its normal colour will come back. but it will take time, good lighting and feeding. good luck

#8 Linda

Linda

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:11 AM

Time will tell.

It's still looking happy and healthy so fingers crossed B)

#9 karens roses

karens roses

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

Yup it is dyed, we call them flower or rock anemones here, I have one that came that color, I have had it for over 9 years now and it a beautiful green color. Will see if I can find a picture of her, she is in the 125 and you can see her on my web site under sharing the tank I believe.
With good food and light, she will turn to green usually , they very seldom move around the tank and will stay put where you put them.
Unless they become hungry, very hungry, then they will move just a few inches for better results in the way of catching food.
I feed mine silversides along with the BTA's and she will eat a whole one.
She is around 5 inches across.
Let me see if I can find some pics and will add them here.
Here ya go, this is what yours should look like when she loose her dye job and becomes all she can be.

Attached Files

I have 6 sugar gliders,4mini horses ,4 SW tanks and two great dogs and two cats
that are identical brothers.
40 acres of woods and ponds in East Texas.
I love to garden to.
Owner of Karensroseanemones.com

#10 wayne g

wayne g

Tang

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

it looks too 'nemo' to be natural imho.

i echo Ben's thoughts regarding the skimmer.....so expect yours to get a bit of a tint to it over time.
just treat it well and keep the water good and it should cope with it.
:wOOt2:

fwiw this practice is despicable so it may be worth seeing what your lfs's view is on it.
depending on their knowledge of the trade they should know better than to sell it on and if they DO know it is 'died' (as i call it) then i would find another shop to give your money to.
:whistling:
click here to see my puddle
:)

"I've got this 'orrible feeling that if there is such a thing as reincarnation, knowing my luck I'll come back as me."

Rodney Charlton Trotter.

#11 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

Well I'm not to clued up on nems to tell the truth but looking at the nem i would say dyed.
Karen knows her nems so i think you can much take it to the bank it is dyed, but with care should get back to its real colour

Its good to see you back Karen ,i hope all is well with you now

Chat soon

jas
untitled.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users