• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sowenna

sowenna

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

We have had a problem with algae ever since we fitted lumenarcs, we seem to be pulling it out more than we cut the grass. So we bought a sea hare today its that ugly its endearing. It seems to be enthusiastic about the algae, but then so did the turbo snails we bought for a while. Has anyone else got one or had one, and will it remain eager. Thanks Jackie and Paul .

#2 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:26 AM

they do a great job but will need to be returned to the shop when the algae runs out,would be good to get to the cause of the problem , how high are the lights of the tank?? how long are the lights on per day?? what are the phosphates in the tank i think a phos reactor may help with this problem also an algae blennie and a sailfin tang

#3 Dave.I

Dave.I

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:44 AM

You will need to takle the root cause of the problem,that being nutrients.Check phosphates and nitrates.In the end it wont matter what you put in there you will always have problems untill you can sort this out.Also as Dylan said how long are you lighting the tank?
On the sea hare,i had one for a short time and it did a great job until it got too close to a elegance coral and ended up as lunch ! Whatch out for and lps eating it !

Dave

#4 sowenna

sowenna

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:41 PM

Here goes phosphates at less than 0.03. Nitrates at 0. Lights are now on for 8 hours was originally 10. Lights are 2 lumenarcs 250w 10k approximately 12inches from bulb to the surface of the water. Any other ideas welcome Thanks Jackie and Paul

#5 steve5reef

steve5reef

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

HI
Sea Hare's are great for keeping down algae but you'll have to watch your power heads as they have a fatal attraction to them.
Put a sponge on the inlet so they dont stick their head up inside, I even had one get its head into the slots round a saio pump, what a mess!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users