• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

If you have any suggestions on ways in which you think we could improve on the frag night process please post your ideas.

If they require any effort from the guys running it, then you'd better get some beers organised for us :rolleyes:

Chris
Posted Image

#2 Rockstar

Rockstar

Tang

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:18 PM

You guys do a fantastic job, having seen it on the night and on-line now. :rolleyes:

I dont really think you could improve it that much. Maybe get the Mother colonies photo'd earlier in the evening if you know which ones are up for Fragging. Then you could speed up the process letting you all get home a little earlier.

Many thanks again for the last Frag night. :rock3:

Rocky.
48x26x20 main tank
40x16x15 Cheato & DSB Sump
eheim 1262 return
Twin TMC V-skim 600's
2 x Seio m1500's and controller plus 2 x Seio m1100's
40Kg Fiji live rock
LPS and softies from Jasons Aquatics
Yellow,Powder blue & Regal Tangs,Convict Blennie, Pyjama wrasse, blue damsel and chromis
Blue leg & algae hermits, cerith, turbo,vibex and nassirus snails, and Linka

#3 sowenna

sowenna

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

Hi Chriss, when you and the guys have picked a date stick to it, you all do a great job. You can,t please all of the people all of the time
all the best Jackie and Paul
p.s Thanks for all your efforts.

#4 SLAPPY

SLAPPY

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hi Chriss, when you and the guys have picked a date stick to it, you all do a great job. You can,t please all of the people all of the time
all the best Jackie and Paul
p.s Thanks for all your efforts.

Jackie, it's not to do with pleasing everybody, the date changes are to do with working around all of the organisers who need to be there in order to sucessfully run the frag night. I set a date and realised that I couldn't make it and vice versa for Chris and Ben.

Tony

#5 sowenna

sowenna

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:26 PM

Jackie, it's not to do with pleasing everybody, the date changes are to do with working around all of the organisers who need to be there in order to sucessfully run the frag night. I set a date and realised that I couldn't make it and vice versa for Chris and Ben.
Tony

It wasn,t a dig at the organisers. more to the people who moan about not being able to make it, and asking if it can be changed. You all give up your time which is appreciated. All the best Jackie and Paul

#6 SLAPPY

SLAPPY

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:06 PM

It wasn,t a dig at the organisers. more to the people who moan about not being able to make it, and asking if it can be changed. You all give up your time which is appreciated. All the best Jackie and Paul

No worries Jackie/Paul misinterpreted your post. :)

#7 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:13 AM

Had a chat with a great guy today who came up with the idea of maybe a wish list for the night .Maybe a few weeks before hand start a list going and i will see if i can get them in .

jas
untitled.jpg

#8 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:14 AM

ok great idea ill start the ball rolling green hystrix

#9 Rockstar

Rockstar

Tang

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

ok great idea ill start the ball rolling green hystrix

Me too, green hystrix.

Rocky.
48x26x20 main tank
40x16x15 Cheato & DSB Sump
eheim 1262 return
Twin TMC V-skim 600's
2 x Seio m1500's and controller plus 2 x Seio m1100's
40Kg Fiji live rock
LPS and softies from Jasons Aquatics
Yellow,Powder blue & Regal Tangs,Convict Blennie, Pyjama wrasse, blue damsel and chromis
Blue leg & algae hermits, cerith, turbo,vibex and nassirus snails, and Linka

#10 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:14 AM

Personally, I'm not keen on the concept of ordering-in specific corals to be fragged, it doesn't seem 'ehtically' correct to me.

Another problem I forsee is imagine something special is requested by a number of people, it comes in and gets fragged but they miss out on the piece by not getting their request in quick enough. The frag night has always operated on a first-come-first-served basis, I really belive thats part of the fun of it. If you start giving people the ability to pre-request corals they may get the impression that they are 'reserving a frag' which is not the case.

When we have posted photos a day or two before in the past, it's caused great confusion and dissappointment since people started 'requesting' pieces beforehand, again, expecting they would get a piece by default even without taking part in the frag night. There is also the time factor, the time taken to photograph the corals and do all the postings, I'm not sure Ben, Tony or myself have the time to commit to doing that. Additionally, we don't really know whats available until a few minutes before the photo is actually taken and posted, it really is that live. Something could easily have been sold earlier in the day and we have no idea of that until we start choosing corals on the night.

However, please feel free to let us know on the night the type of corals you are after and we will see what we can find, but also, use the chatroom to work out between you what you would like. For instance, it's unlikely a coral will get fragged for one person, we really like to have takers for at least half of the coral.

We try to select a variety of whats available and post them up, kind of 'drip-feed' them. We found by posting up too many in one go, it's too difficult to keep track of who's requesting what so we try to do no more than two or three at a time.

For the last couple of fragnights, the shop has been 'quiet', and with the change to do the actual fragging later in the week has meant that we have been able to get thru more than double the number of corals. Occasionally, something nice comes up but most if not all of it gets taken by those in the shop. When this happens I do try to look out for something similar and offer it on-line only, someones got to look after you :)

Anyhow, enough ramblings.

Chris
Posted Image

#11 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

I agree with chriss ,its more fun doing it on the night of the club meet and not by request days before as not knowing whats about to be picked for fragging has got to be more exciting than waiting for a coral thats on a list .The other thing to remmember is this is a club meet so keep it fun ,dont work too hard :) :huh:

#12 RobMcC

RobMcC

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Personally I think the frag night is great as is. Keep up the good work guys.

#13 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

Got one suggestion ,how about a stool for chriss must be murder standing still for so long ,oh yeh and how about Kelly Brook helping out :)

#14 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:34 PM

I'll bring the stool, you organise Kelly, deal?
Posted Image

#15 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:41 PM

UH OH .Thats not fair.

#16 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

Me too, green hystrix.

Rocky.

Ill have a piece of that too.

If this keeps up, maybe we can do it outside frag night.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#17 sowenna

sowenna

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

We like it just the way it is, either on line or at the shop its fun, also as we are still new to this, we tend to buy from seeing it or a picture, as the proper name doesn,t mean nothing to us. Its more a case if we like it we try to get a frag of it.
All the best Jackie and Paul

#18 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,537 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:00 PM

Yes leave it as it is I think it works well.

I would like a piece of Kelly brook Tho :)

#19 SLAPPY

SLAPPY

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

Yeah, leave it as it is for the time being and if good ideas come up, we will keep that in mind.

#20 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, leave it as it is for the time being and if good ideas come up, we will keep that in mind.

Can you tie it in with Dole Money day lol.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users