• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:03 AM

hi all ive got an aqua one that has a light set up already built into the hood.the problem is aqua one only do there own size tubes so i cant use marine whites........narva blue or actinic. what i want to do is keep the hood but carefuly take out the standard fittings and replace with ones that i can use the tubes mentioned.also are the t5 compacts any good as repacements?
at the moment they are 2x 36in 30w white(triphospher) and 1x 30in 25wblue.
any suggestions would be gratefuly recieved
cheers john h.
ps if anyone has anything suitable for sale please let me know.

#2 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:19 AM

are you sure they are not a regular type john, like t8 or t5?

#3 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

are you sure they are not a regular type john, like t8 or t5?

Sorry for seeming dumb but what do you mean regular? they are t5s
the problem im having at the moment is all the tube options from the ususal sorces are different lengths and wattages the only ones i can find are the aqua ones but then im restricted to what they sell which is a dull reef blue and the tri phosphor.
so im stuffed on either the tube length or the wattage if i find one the other is different :naughty: :naughty:
cheers john h.

#4 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:45 PM

what length are they john?
you could always replace the endcaps with ones on wires enabling you to use different lengths
tilly

#5 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:48 PM

what length are they john?
you could always replace the endcaps with ones on wires enabling you to use different lengths
tilly

they are 2x 36 inch and 1 x 30 inch the problem is the wattage
the 36 inch are 30 watts and the 30 inch is 25 watts way under any replacements!!

#6 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:04 PM

ok if yours is like mine to look at the easy option is to buy 2 double t5 compact light controls and put them in your cupboard and run the 4 cables up inside the hood where the old tubes used to be and put power compacts in, i know this is ok as my aquaone 900 has these as standard

#7 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

ps
read the thread below it might help

diy t5

#8 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

CHEERS for that tilly ill look into fitting these compacts.i looked at the spec for your tank and the lights are different to the 980 i have normal t5 tubes in mine.what combination of compacts do you use coz i see there are four in that model?
hopefuly i can retro fit them in mine easily and like you say put the controls in cabinet.
cheeers john h.

#9 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

further to my quest can any one tell me what wattage t5 compacts i should be looking at as there are several different ones
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY COMPACT T5 TWIN LIGHT CONTROL UNITS FOR SALE?????
cheers john h

#10 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

i run 2 white marine and 2 blue in the front 2, you want to advertise on all the forums for a complete aquamarine 900 hood and just change the bits over, the ones on mine come with remote ballast with timers built in
you will have a bit more choice of lamp and ive found theres quite a few places that do them
there is 2 36watt on the left in my hood and the other 2 are 24watt but as there high output compact there a lot brighter, you can even get one tube thats half white and half actinic
hope that helps

#11 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

further more ive added a standard t5 tube in front of the fitting for extra light, its easy to fit a couple of tube clips to the side of the inbuilt unit and add a marine white 30" or similar, then you have lots of light
tilly

#12 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:17 PM

further to my quest can any one tell me what wattage t5 compacts i should be looking at as there are several different ones
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY COMPACT T5 TWIN LIGHT CONTROL UNITS FOR SALE?????
cheers john h

put it in the wanted section john of all the forums

#13 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:20 PM

put it in the wanted section john of all the forums

does that mean i have to join them all???????????? i cant keep ontop of this one :ok:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users