#1 ThreeFishes

ThreeFishes

Diatom

• New Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

Hi folks,
I need a little advise..
I have seen several brown flat worms on one of my monti's....i have siphoned off quite a few of these. Are these a problem and should I be worried?
Should I be trying to remove all of these and will they cause damage to my corals?
If so how should i go about removing these as i have never come across these before.
Thanks in advance
Rob

#2 Crabbit

Crabbit

Tang

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Hi folks,
I need a little advise..
I have seen several brown flat worms on one of my monti's....i have siphoned off quite a few of these. Are these a problem and should I be worried?
Should I be trying to remove all of these and will they cause damage to my corals?
If so how should i go about removing these as i have never come across these before.
Thanks in advance
Rob

Some do damage and some don't but the ones that don't they can grow in numbers and cut down the corals light intake significantly. There are a number of way to go about getting rid of these. Firstly it best to keep a reference of where the coral came from. If from a shop they might be able to help with how they are dealing with the problem. If from a friend they might not know about them in which case you can let them know. There a dips designed to help kill these animals. Coral X is one I have been using with good results. It is designed to kill a number of animals that can come in on corals. There are also nudibranchs that will eat them. But the problem is what are you going to do when they are gone as the nudibranch will starve. There are fish that will naturally eat these and be easier to keep after the problem is sorted. The fact that you can see some there is probably a few hidden. If I were you I would dip your corals and get some fish that will eat them. Wrasse will hunt and eat flat worms. Its best to try a couple at the same time. I would dip the corals as well as adding some wrasse if you don't already have some. If you do have some cut the feeding down so it will hunt more. As well as physical removal.

There are treatments designed to treat the system but the problem is the strain it put on the filtration. When these die they release toxins and if your skimmer isn't up to the job then it can all go bad. Also when the flat worms start to brake down the will more than likely increase your nitrates.
Life is to short for frags

#3 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,547 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:37 AM

Montys can be quite prone to these and often come in with them on but with a dip of Coral RX once a week for about 3 weeks to break the life cycle they should disappear .The flat worm on montys are not normally a big problem unless they multiply into big numbers .As crabbit says wrasse are a good idea too for flat worm and other pests .
It is a good idea to dip all new sps ,zoas in Coral RX before adding to your tank even if you are told or think they are clean and repeat after a week no matter how well they look .

#4 ThreeFishes

ThreeFishes

Diatom

• New Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:14 AM

Thank you for your advise chaps...
I will get some Rx and maybe look at borrowing a wrasse for a while.
Rob

#5 Crabbit

Crabbit

Tang

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

Another way because the animals are light loving is to shine a light when lights are out at night time. The flat worms will crawl towards the light and can be siphoned out. The best bet is to keep trying this for several nights are you probably have quiet a few hidden. Let all of us know how you get on. :D
Life is to short for frags

#6 ThreeFishes

ThreeFishes

Diatom

• New Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:58 AM

Another way because the animals are light loving is to shine a light when lights are out at night time. The flat worms will crawl towards the light and can be siphoned out. The best bet is to keep trying this for several nights are you probably have quiet a few hidden. Let all of us know how you get on. :D

Thanks Crabbit,
A quick update...i have used an air line to siphon out these for the last two nights and have removed around 30. These only appear to be on one coral at the moment a green confusa. They are almost extactly the same colour as the polyps and you have to look really hard to spot them. I checked again this morning and several more have appeared .....so back to the hose tonight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users