• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Simon Garratt

Simon Garratt

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:28 AM

This is a link to an article that was done for Reefs Magazine in the US. It covers the ins and outs of fake live rock manufacture for the home reef, and the scope of such methods. It also has some minor but very relevant info regarding the environmental impacts associated with real live rock harvesting.

Faking It

Regards

Simon.
Regards

Simon Garratt O.C.R.D

#2 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

I to used MMLR in my last 2 setps ,approx 60+KG and had no problems ,Rock itself stayed strong and was very stable .

I used the GARF site as homework on best ways to make it ,how wet to have the mix and so on .There were no signes over the 18 + months in the 2 tanks i ran the rock in of any nutrient buildup .

The rock was porous but not to porous so would do the same job as NLR regarding the bacteria it would house .

When i made the rock i cured it for 2 months in fresh water before use,if memory serves me right its the Co2 you drive through it when bubbling flow and air through it that makes the calciums react that bring down the High Calcium and pH .

Disadvantage for some is the waiting for the pH and calcium to come down but for me this was not an issue

Advantage was you can make any shapes you want ,,flat or branch and you can plan the tank and its look on paperwork or a design program on the computer and that in itself is a fun project .

I started running MMLR approx 2 + years ago and have nothing but good things to say about it

Top post Si ,did you have to make your branch a wetter mix to keep the strength being thiner structures

jas
untitled.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users