14 replies to this topic

#1 thunderstruck

thunderstruck

Diatom

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:00 PM

Hi All,
Im new to this forum and to marine kept freshwater for 6yrs decided to take the plunge.Ive got a Boyu T550 my original plan was to let the live rock it self be the main filteration in the system and just have purigen with filter floss and rowaphos in the chambers thats all including the heater and skimmer that is, does this plan seem ok any help would be gr8. :thanks: Gordy.

#2 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:34 AM

i would bother with the rock rubble persoanlly, and just have some phos remover, carbon, heater and skimmer

#3 thunderstruck

thunderstruck

Diatom

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hi, Ben,
I know a lot of nano -reefers do keep LR in there chambers i feel it could add a build up of nitrate if not cleaned proper in a tight space and if you have enough in main tank the need in chambers i was meaning for media.
:cool3: Gordy

#4 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

Stay away from live rock rubble it is the dust devil!!! have a massive focus on your mechanical filtration however. I dont think its unreasonable in a nano to change filter floss every two days?!?

I would also recommend an inert biomedia when first setting up any nano, as it is undoubtable that you will exceed the limits of the liverock in your stocking of it, especially initially. you have to remember that liverock in the ocean doesnt have that much dissolved nutrient load to deal with and most of the beneficial nitrifying bacteria is killed in the process of curing. your live rock needs to mature along with your aquarium. It is also very easy to control nitrates in such a small environment using water changes so there isnt really a reason not to use biomedia

finally, because most have closed lids and limited circulation i recommend an airstone in one of the rear compartments to increase general oxygen levels.

HTH

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#5 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

sorry gordy i mis-read the post, yeh as you say rubble is as bad as bio balls imo, so i would stick with the chemical filtration in the chambers, with the heater and skimmer

#6 thunderstruck

thunderstruck

Diatom

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:45 PM

Hi,
No worries Ben its just some many options that other people do things these days its just trying to find out what way works for you i suppose . I just want to do it right first time and not learn by ur mistakes but i bet everyone been there :lol: know doubt i will. Thanks again Gordy

#7 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

yeh as you say rubble is as bad as bio balls imo

who said that? :lol: I would actually recommend using the bioballs for at least the first part of any nano journey. Such a small environment is far more biologically stable with them in place

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#8 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

each to his own i guess tom, but i would start as i mean to go on. i guess it just might take a little longer

#9 thunderstruck

thunderstruck

Diatom

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

All u need is patience :lol: taking it easy

#10 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:25 PM

The main issue i have with liverock and nanos is that a nano will almost inevitably end up overstocked, and ive noticed most have their lives cut short by some form of spike or death. Its almost a guarantee that there will be a disaster somewhere along the line. they arent stable environments at all!

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#11 Marcus Watts

Marcus Watts

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

I dont think a Nano is dificult to look after if you are observant and sensible. Definitely keep the living rock in the main tank, no need to fill the back up too. I run a DD28 with a Deltec MCE600 skimmer, (carbon and phoshate remover in its chamber), a UV and filter wool that i change every 2-3 days. There is about 15kg of living rock in the tank, along with quire a collection of lps. The system is high nutrient due to 4 sun corals + their babies, but the skimmer pulls out a load of muck 24/7 .
CUC is massively important imo, this is natures way of keeping the waste products in balance. I think in my tank there are about 6 hermits, a lot of different snails, breeding shrimps, a large breeding population of brine shrimp, 2 clams, 2 oysters and 2 scallops, plus a sand bed full of worms and mussels tucked away all over the living rock. this mixture of livestock eats spare large food items, recycles the fish and coral waste, filters the water, etc. Keeping them alive is the most important part of keeping my tank running well. Live phytoplankton and microscopic food items seem to be working very well.

[attachment=923:tank_side1.jpg]

Here is a quick pic from the side,
KEEP A FEW TRUE STARFISH, SAVE THEM FROM BEING DRIED OUT FOR TOURISTS

6x2x2 HOME TANK

#12 thunderstruck

thunderstruck

Diatom

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

Nice tank Marcus Thanks for your view i agree its not differcult to run having patience and common sence will put you a gd track just dont like getting bombed down in first attempt gee he must of started a newbie himself pity i cant get a bigger tank eh!

#13 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

Sorry, i should have written, that the above is not to put people off nanos but my justification for using a biomedia in association with the liverock!
effing fish

Tom

#14 thunderstruck

thunderstruck

Diatom

• New Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

Sorry Tommo i think we both got off on the wrong stick of the topic no offence taking eh. Like i said earlier i listen to any advice giving im just learning. :lol: Gordy

#15 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Im a b*gger for it, I forget to put things into context i need to learn to be more explanatory!

Essentially im very much of the opinion in general that standard biofiltration isn't the danger to the reef aquarium that it is made out to be. In a densely stocked nano where water quality with regard to nitrates is easy to maintain using water changes i think that the biomedia will provide a safety net, so to speak, particularly with this being a first saltwater nano. These can be removed at a later date if you so wish.

hope that makes more sense
effing fish

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users