• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#21 Dave.I

Dave.I

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

Yeh my understanding is the same as ChrisR in that its the stones that absorb the potassium and on tanks without stones it wont be such a problem to keep levels up.

Chriss,ive been looking at the threads on RC and thats what inspired me to have a go.Sonny's thread is full of info as is the Brightwell neozeo thread.Sonny uses microbacter 7 with vodka.Its funny,i checked out his maintainance dose for vodka and its exactly the same as mine was when i was on vodka.
He also doses lugols iodine solution and says he realy see's the benifits,especialy with blues.

Potassium confuses me.What kind should we dose? Potassium iodide,potassium chloride,potassium sulphide/sulphate?..........i dont realy know but there seems to be so many kinds of potassium! Also if we are supposed to dose one kind of potassium then are these test kits testing for that kind of potassium or another that isnt even relevent to us? Confusing! :)

Dave

#22 ChrisR

ChrisR

Tang

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

Personally i've just used in the past Labpak Potassium chloride to raise K levels, but you can buy the ready mixed stuff from a various manufacturers.

#23 ChrisR

ChrisR

Tang

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Personally i've just used in the past Labpak Potassium chloride to raise K levels, but you can buy the ready mixed stuff from a various manufacturers. I've also started dosing Lugol's as at the minute as i dont get a reading on my iodine test kit. As the tanks still pretty young and its still abit green i just wonder if the algae is using it up???

#24 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

Maybe a test kit for the above will explain what it test for which would make it possible to pick the best potassium to dose on the other hand it may just say Potassium :) .

#25 Dave.I

Dave.I

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:58 PM

Yeh i think they just say potassium Linds :)

#26 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

Nitrate has dropped a little :) Although i have done some water changes.

Taken out nearly 40 gallons of sludge and build up thats collected over nearly 20 months, Possibly the worst mistake i made was adding calcium chips as substrate, They look good for about a month, After that they collect shit like you wouldnt believe, So from now on bare bottom all the way for me, Never would i add sand or substrate to any future tanks, even if the flow was perfect. which is hard as sand blows around.

Also added an extra 10,000 litres per hour flow rate to the back of the tank this has killed the dead spots that produce nitrate i hope in that area
Also in the armoury although it kinda goes against ZeoVIT which im not running yet is some polyfilter, Dont think i'll use that long term as it works out very expensive

Slight improvement with this acro i can see the brighter parts coming back, although the pic is a bit bad and thats been very polite :)

Posted Image

Just a general top done shot, today the Formosa is looking a lot more fluffy .. No real idea why, Although it could be days of water changes and particals in the water making appear better not sure, Also sinse adding a skimmer the tips have gone baby blue just like it had in the beggining of the tanks set-up, 2 months ago it had no blue tips just stunted looking tips.

The abro pictured has lost all its pink colour and some polpys dont come out giving it a kinda aefw appearance, which isnt the case it been like this for months now, The millepora behind is touching right into it, whether or not this has made it lose its colour i dont know, If lower nutrients bring this back to pink i'll be happy

Posted Image

#27 Cass1

Cass1

Tang

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hi Tim
Interesting thread and am watching with interest.
However
One thing that strikes me about your efforts is I'm not sure of your motives for trying this method at a time when your tank is being changed/improved anyway.
If your no longer using vodka surely thats going to affect your tank readings for better or worse. Then you mention your skimmer improvements.again thats bound to change your readings. Then you say aout the sludge and calcuim chips, then you've addded more water turnover........
As a junior ranking private I know i shouldnt question the Majors plan...but

One thing this potsy hobby has shown me is any changes you make have to be really done one at a time. That way you can see what has the most positive effect.
Martin

#28 Dave.I

Dave.I

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:22 AM

Nice one Tim.As you know im also bare bottom and it works a treat! The amount of crap your rocks will shed will be unbelievable.I would take a high power powerhead and blast the crud out of the rocks daily and add a filter sock to the inlet pipe to the sump.The extra flow will work wonders :)
You may get a few spikes in nitrate when you blast the rocks and obviously alk may swing a little having taken out the sand but its worth it in the long run.
Looking forward to seeing some stunning pic's in a couple of months :)

Dave

#29 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hi Martin basically i'm dealing with old tank syndrome taking the sand out is something ive always done over the years it always cleans a system up
The mistake ive always made is putting it back because i dont like the look of it, It does drop nitrate and trapped po4.

Yes im making many improvements in one go but i feel confident about all changes in one go, except cleaning the sump at the moment.

To get these new bottles working faster its better they have a cleaner enviroment for them to work a little quicker, The sooner i can start adding trace elements to healthier corals the sooner my tank will get back on track.

Yeh deffo going to blast the rocks more often now :)

#30 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:30 AM

KH now at 7.7 and have turned the Phos reactor off, Looking forward to introducing the stones soon B) ..

Natural KH on a reef should be 7-8 .. One must be carefull bringing down KH when starting zeovit if trying this method DO not bring down KH too quickly as it can have adverse effects on SPS ;)

#31 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

Not just the Kh but all changes need to be done slow ,keep us posted with the good and bad aspects Tim as your tank is a long term system and it will be good to see how it deals with these changes

jas
untitled.jpg

#32 Dave.I

Dave.I

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:46 PM

Hows it going Tim?

#33 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

Did you have to slow down the calcium reactor to drop the dkh Tim ?,or is it a case that you were dosing something like bio calcium as well as the reactor and stopped using it to alow the dkh to drop?.

#34 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

Good news another table has browned out within 2 weeks! stunning blue to this

Posted Image

The reason its good is because its not a nutrient issue, Just plain and simple flow over the efflo, 2 weeks ago i took a single powerhead out that had been keeping it clean for the best part of 20 months, So obvious tbh, But with my mind so much on Nutrents it just didnt stand out, Be cool if the colour comes back.
I have another table which clogs up with shit if i can get the flow correct that might even come back to life.

Not bad Dave although its still early days the salifert po3 has dropped from 25ppm to 20ppm and thats at the end of a water change week so i guess the bacteria is building up, although the sera one is smack bang on 50ppm still.
To drop the KH i just dont add any Bio calcium to water changes, also im running calcium levels between 380 and 400ppm, which allows for easy kh control, I may just skip between Bio calcium and salifert calcium to balance it all out,

#35 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:33 PM

Good news about the tables ,keep us posted as to how they go

jas
untitled.jpg

#36 Dave.I

Dave.I

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:00 PM

You got the stones in yet Tim? Hows it all going?

#37 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hi dave no still on the basic 2 although i will be getting the works at some point, quite pleased with the small results already tho, But its need a reactor and those magic stones to make it really work more efficient.
Not to sure i'll any further than the basic 4 atm, time will only tell.

#38 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

3 weeks in and the sera nitrate test is showing 35ppm at long last so a drop from 50ppm isnt bad. :)

Salifert shows around 17ppm which i dont trust

#39 Jonesie

Jonesie

Diatom

• New Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

Good to see your nitrates are dropping.

My stones and reactor arrived today along with my zeostart ( already have zeobak, sponge power, zeofood and coral viatlizer)
Fingers crossed it goes aswell as it is for you :)

Peace

#40 Dave.I

Dave.I

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

Thats great news Tim.I would think that the results will show colour wise once you start getting below 5ppm.Im on microbacter 7 and reef biofuel.Ive removed the gfo and im seeing a bit of hair algae but thats not a worry,just need the bacteria to catch up.Have you noticed a slow down or speed up in algae growth Tim?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users