• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#201 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

Not used this before,but i do have a question for those who have,if the phosphates are bound,which sounds like what kalk used to do and fell out of preference because it could bind phosphate,what happens to the bound phosphate after the use of this product?can the bound phosphate become un bound ?.

I'd assumed it would allow it to be skimmed out more efficiently once bound.

Chris
Posted Image

#202 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

I suspect it does chris also this product claims to improve turbidity and they arent wrong my water is now so clear you would think id overdosed ozone!

Got a bottle of nitrate reducing bacteria on order for thursday not messing about with one drop etc this is bulk bacteria so fingers crossed
it might bring down the nitrate im not so sure it will work .. But you never know!.

Will post up results

#203 Guest_Quigs_*

Guest_Quigs_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

Any updates on the bottle of bacteria Tim?

#204 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:47 AM

Erm they seem to make things worse is all i can say the liquid remover did the trick for a while but now i'm going back to rowaphos the quicker the better, Re the nitrate reducing bottle i tipped a whole bottle in a few days ago and my nitrates seem to be on the up .. heading towards 100ppm not good.
Wish i could post something good up but these couple of new products arent filling me with confidence, I'll give it another week to see if anything positive happens, Although im not holding my breathe jst yet

Personally the phos binders work but you have to to perform major water changes and have a uber skimmer to work side by side, It may lock it up but it soon get reseeded back into the tank

#205 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hi Tim,

I cant say i am exactly surprised about the nitrates, you wont see a reduction until the bacteria start to multiply, and divide thus using the nutrients. This is one reason for the stones in the ZEO system, it localises nutrients that allows the bacteria levels to increase. These bacteria are then shaken off and exported via a skimmer or fed back into the corals thus allowing more bacteria to build up.

You may have expierenced an increase in nitrate due to die off of the bacteria introduced i would image this has waste products in it.

#206 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

Yeh somethings certainly died i do have 100ppm of nitrate atm, I guess the bright side is i cant read it getting any higher :D

Maybe the whole bottle was dead when i emptied it .. who's knows .. Nothing in the tank is suffering i might add, seems it matters not if you have 50ppm or 100ppm.

Lets hope the bacteria divide

#207 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:23 AM

2 half weeks of water changes nitrate was 100ppm now 10ppm another few days will be 0 ish.

Money spent on the zeovit bottles and reactor etc etc around 250 if not more no change in nitrate over a period of around 4 months.
Maybe if id had stuck with it for the whole year it takes to mature etc etc etc it might have happened.
Total cost would have been a good grand in money i reckon who knows.

Personally i dont think its worth it maybe others think its great and everything but i dont.

Total cost to bring nitrate down has cost 75 quid on salt and over two weeks of pissing everybody in the house with buckets lying around.

From now on no zeovit no vodka no sugar no bio pellets no relience on anything other than the simple yet effective water change routine
That we all love to do :D

The End

#208 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,550 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

Glad you've got the nitrate down Tim, can't beat good old proven maintenance

How the tank looking now?

#209 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

Welcome back Tim!

Do you think you might be tempted to take up the zeo again when you've got your levels down to a more manageable level?

Chris
Posted Image

#210 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:03 AM

Hi Dave the tank is still stunning quite how i dont know given ive had nitrate 50~100 for the last 8 months or so growth has been poor as you would expect ..I dont expect pushing 2 reeflux bulbs over 13 months helped much.

Not lost any coral due to high nutrients, although my copperband munched a good few lps then kicked the bucket no more of those.

Not really Chris, its much easier and cheaper to perform a water change. although i did stick to the routine of zeovit, The two burdens combined just make the work load even worse tbh.
The regimental process of Zeovit was ok but i expect results quick, even if i started afresh it would still take months to mature a system/Zeo reactor
And it seems elogical to perform both when they often conflict with each other given you need to keep param's in check
Im a fully paid up member of the add nothing gang from now on

#211 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

I think you're right at the end of the day, adopt the KISS principle. Look forward to seeing some pics when you get around to it.

Chris
Posted Image

#212 prego

prego

New Members

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

hi all been running zeovit for 6 months now in my opinion its crap,then i was told to run the red sea no3/po4 remover i've had great results with it people give it a try its good :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)