15 replies to this topic

#1 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Looking for patterns here.

Please post your experiences with these wonderful animals whether good or bad, at what stage your tried them, and possibly water params if you have records

Thanks all in advance

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#2 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

ive had good success with bubble tips. all from clones and have had them split. usual water readings with average temp of 28c. stable system of over a year old

#3 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Ben,

Surely its not just you had nemenemones tho LOL

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#4 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

yep, im the only one ever ;)

#5 BOM8ER

BOM8ER

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

I kept a red bubble with a pair of tomato clowns a few years ago under 150w with no probs at all, cant remember the exact params tho sorry

#6 gray

gray

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

kept a rbta anenome grown massive and split
normal para under 250 halides
now in sump getting bigger and bigger under 2x54 watt t5
looking for new home

lovely creature just wish they would stop running around tank ;)
48"x36"x24" main tank 45"x26"x 26" sump
laguna 7500 return pump, ocean runner 6500
tunze ts 24 kit
Grotech hea 250 skimmer, deltec 601 calcium reactor tmc, controller-monitor
deltec fr509 reactor
2x 400 watt luminarc 10 k 2x 54 ati actinic , sanders 200 mg ozone . orp controller
ro auto top up & ball valve sp3000 kit

#7 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

i had one of grays rbtas and mine grew huge and has split into 3, all in sump under 54watt compact lighting and thriving
tilly

#8 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

I've got a rbta. Had it for over a year. Nearly lost it when i had a load of work done on the house. Left it as a blob of jelly with no tentacles but has now come back to full health and growing. Mine has found a place it likes and stays there. The foot is surrounded by rocks and he comes up through them to the light supplies by 250w MH and reasonable flow. Normal parameters. Fed one whitebait a week. Lives with a pair of custard maroon clowns.

#9 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

One thing im particularly interested in is whether or not you considered your tanks to be heavily or lightly stocked

The pattern i seek is one that would give us a greater understanding of what these animals need. Water quality is the main issue to address but without total precision kits i feel i may run a blank.

This will lead to trials with my own stock once i get a new tank!

Thanks

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#10 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

i would say my tanks have usually been heavily stocked but not over stocked

#11 Tony B

Tony B

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

A nem was one of the first inverts I kept. Had my BTA years.

I would not have another nem in a tank with SPS or LPS corals, as when my streams used to stop working (due to stomatela snails or calcium build up or mechanical failure), the change of water flow in the tank would often make them go for a walk. Whilst on their walk, they could smoke some corals and this is the main reason why I would not have another in an SPS/LPS reef.

I will likely set up a dedicated clown and nem tank in the future though.
Tony

Click here for pictures of my old tank and, here for my new grow out tank

#12 karl

karl

Firefish

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

i have a green bta but it wasnt a purchase of mine it is sat under 3 30w t8's and seems to be happy and has agrown a little since i got him

#13 bobba fett

bobba fett

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

I had a green bubble tip that used to drive me mad roaming around all the time and always sitting down the back of the rockwork.

Then about 2 years ago I had a 12" blue carpet but moved that on after I saw it sting and eat a mandarin and a 4" foxface in the same week :birthday:

Never had a problem actually keeping them though
I suggest a change of plan... Let the wookie win

Check out www.Reefpark.net if you have a minute

#14 daddy_daryl

daddy_daryl

Diatom

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:46 AM

I have had a heteractis crispa (was bleached out when first brought and up for sale as a malu) now for 5years.
Added it to the aquarium before any corals to let it settle in the sand bed.
After a few weeks added a couple of perc clowns.
Beautiful creature and has never moved since its introduction.
One of my best additions to the tank and is now about 14 inches i diameter..

#15 Matt G

Matt G

Firefish

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

My tank had been running about 5 months when I add my RBTA, which would have be approx April 08. It sat happily where it was for a month or two then moved into it's current spot where it has stayed since.

It's foot is well wedged into a cave in the rockwork and at night it moves itself into the cave. As soon as the actinics come on it starts to come back out until is is something like 12 - 14" in diameter.

The tank parameters have been pretty stable since the tank was setup - however I did have a 52 hour power outage which sent PO4 and nitrates upwards for a week or two until I got them back under control. During that period ALK dropped as well (can't remember where to I am afraid). The tank temp swings about 2 degrees during the summer months and I run with the balling lite method, so apart from during the above problems alk, mag and ca have been stable. I should probably add that the tank has always been run on a ULNS system, started with FM and then moved to Zeo. I feel my tank is leaning towards heavily stocked, but that's just my feelings, others may disagree.

I do feed it, but probably only about once a month or so, and then it is just with one lance fish.

This is a fairly old picture of it.

Posted Image

#16 pez

pez

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users