3 replies to this topic

#1 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

HI ALL!
im after a new sump design to try and create some space at one end for storage containers for top up and dosing etc.
at the moment i have a 30x12x15 tank divided along its length.but im sure with the vast knowlege base out there a taller more compact one can be designed.it needs all the required elements for a good sump.
dimensions of available cabinet space are:........76cm long x 28cm deep x 60cm high(allowing to get pumps in and out)
height that overflow pipe enters cabinet is 58 cms the main tank is about 200ltrs poss a little less with rock.
a (bad) picture of the current one is below but the skimmer is now a v21000 in the return section not the deltec shown,also the bag of phos remover has gone along with the rock pile in the overflow section.
hope theres enough info here
john.h

Posted Image

#2 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

one thing i used to do was have a food grade container sitting on top of the sump which would hold the top up water.

if you were to use the same sump i would have a small area at one end for the inlet, and a chamber at the other end that fits the skimmer and return pump, and then have the middle as large as possible for a refugium.

having a taller sump is fine for water volume, but not always best for the skimmer or the chaeto. a seperate container above it would be better for top up water

#3 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hmmm, a small space. Like Ben says, I think the best thing to do would be to stack your new containers on top. I wouldn't make your existing sump any smaller, that will just reduce the system volume.

Chris
Posted Image

#4 Jonesie

Jonesie

Diatom

• New Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

This is my tall and compact sump in the cabinet of my rio125

Posted Image

Am now having the same problem you have with where to add a compartment for top up.
I am considering a container outside the cabinet but hidden away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users