• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

What follows, is a link to some research that has been done to determine how and what Amino acids are syntheised by corals themselves and what need to be derived from their food.

Its interesting to see the role that Glucose plays in it.

A damn good read.

http://www.pubmedcen...mp;blobtype=pdf

Tony.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#2 Guest_jacksok_*

Guest_jacksok_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

A damn good read.

Well not not quite up there with Iain Banks when he's on form IMO but interesting I'll admit! ;)

If I'm interpreting this correctly, it might provide a sort of explanation as to why the Ultra Low Nutrient Systems have us chucking bottles of amino acids into our tanks as coral foods. The ULNS systems essentially tend to starve the dull brown zoanthellae so as to reveal the prettier underlying coral colours. Yet the paper implies corals might potentially be dependent on the sugars produced by those zoanthellae in order to synthesise essential amino-acids for themselves. So in their (reefkeeper imposed) absence we end up dosing.

Not sure what to make though of the observation that the corals were generating more of the aminos thought non-essential than those thought essential? Seems a wasteful practice unless our own understanding of what is and isn't essential for coral metabolism is incorrect.

Thanks for sharing.

Keith

#3 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,547 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

I have always used amino acids,so how many of you guys use it?.

#4 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:42 PM

I thought i'd posted it up before :rolleyes:

I mix amino's in my home made food and also in the media I grow microworms in, which I also feed to my corals.

It could be argued, looking at this research, that we could substitute amino acids with Glucose, and allow the corals to build their own from that.

Its also interesting to compare the list of coral utilised Amino's against the composition of some of the bodybuilding formulas available, which is what I use.

Thanks for resurecting the post Linds. :)

#5 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

Used them on and off cant say they did anything at all, The corals are just as happy without them

#6 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

I agree with Keith on this one, unless these aminos that are deemed essential are highly abundant in food that naturally occurs on the reef, or is synthesised by zooxanthellae, in which case it would be a waste of time and energy the coral actually producing them in any quantity on its own.

Ive only really scan read that so i will have another proper look tomorrow

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#7 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

It suggests that a good deal of the Amino's are produced by the coral rather than the Zooanthelae, thats why they took up the Carbon 14 from the food, rather than the sugars produced by the Zoos (unless i'm reading it wrong).They also say that bleached corals produced the same Aminos, even though there was no Zoos present. in fact, they go on to suggest that some may even be produced by the bacteria that live in the gut.

#8 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,547 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

Not sure,so would have to check,but ime sure i have read that amino acids of three types were found in coral tissue that were said to protect against UV,and that the same corals that were suffering bleaching had allot of the amino acids missing or in low numbers.

#9 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

I love AAs ,

I find the flesh of the corals Heals better and the skeletal growth is stronger by far

Like most things in life your only see he benefits of any trace elements if overall the rest of your system is Ticking .If your system is no ticking i think you could add gold dust from god and your see little if any benefits .

AAs all he way for me

jas
untitled.jpg

#10 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

me two im a massive fan add it just after lights of to get the corals xcited then in with my main feed 3 times a week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users