• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rockstar

Rockstar

Tang

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

I know that as long as its stable it should not be a problem but what readings do you all have.

Ive switched to a Salifert kit as i hear they are the best and my Dkh is higher than the previous test Kit. it used to read between 8 and 9

My readings are as follows

Ph 8.2
Calcium 420
Magnesium 1310
Dkh 11.5

Your comments would be much appreciated.
Rocky.
48x26x20 main tank
40x16x15 Cheato & DSB Sump
eheim 1262 return
Twin TMC V-skim 600's
2 x Seio m1500's and controller plus 2 x Seio m1100's
40Kg Fiji live rock
LPS and softies from Jasons Aquatics
Yellow,Powder blue & Regal Tangs,Convict Blennie, Pyjama wrasse, blue damsel and chromis
Blue leg & algae hermits, cerith, turbo,vibex and nassirus snails, and Linka

#2 bobba fett

bobba fett

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Between 8 and 11 I believe, again stability is best
I suggest a change of plan... Let the wookie win

Check out www.Reefpark.net if you have a minute

#3 BOM8ER

BOM8ER

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

On an SPS reef I find 10 DKH to be a good level but as already stated stability is very important, the rest of your readings look good but the only thing I would buff is your Magnesium, 1350 - 1400 is the benchmark :good:

#4 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

I try to stay around the mid 9s.

#5 Tony B

Tony B

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

Double figures around 10 to 11 dkh
Tony

Click here for pictures of my old tank and, here for my new grow out tank

#6 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:09 PM

Im at 7 but normally it was 8ish

#7 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

Mine sits around 10/11

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#8 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

If natural seawater has a kh of 7 to 8 why is it some run levels at 10+?

Ive not seen any benefits of running higher levels of kh in the past and tbh no benefits of lower, Alk burn is often is asociated with high kh
does this not concern anybody.

Im not claiming this but sinse my kh has dropped to 7/8 from higher levels my die back has stopped completely, I did begin to wonder if excessive vodka dosing was to blame but maybe keeping kh levels at a more natural level or possibly correct levels suits acropora better.

Maybe a longevity test with reef tanks and associated kh levels might give some answers towards success .. just a thought

#9 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

Maybe its a problem with the Vodka lowering the Nutrients in the system .I know that you have to keep the Dkh low in a z vit system maybe this is the same is carbon dosing .

In my old system my Dkh was most of the time kept at 11ish and i never had any problems with die back and all acros seemed well happy with well good growth .A lot of others guys are running theres well over NSW and they to have no problems and again good growth.

Myself i think maybe its a problem with the excessive carbon dosing

jas
untitled.jpg

#10 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

I aim for around 9 dkh, that way if it falls unexpectedly I'll pick it up before it goes too low. I also assumed that another reason may have been that since a tank can be less stable ph wise than the sea that a slightly higher dkh buffers any ph shifts better.

Like Tim, I've seen no difference in growth between running at around 8 dkh or 10+dkh for periods of several months.

Chris
Posted Image

#11 Simon Garratt

Simon Garratt

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Its generally a recommendation based on the fact that in an enclosed system the effects of the biomass on pH values and the density of potential coral growth has a far greater effect on stability than that biomass would have on the surrounding water in the wild.

Having a slightly elevated level counters this effect.

Its not unusual for a great many systems to take up at least 1DkH per day without constant buffering, This has a knock on effect with pH stability allowing a wider and wider 24/7 drift rather than a consistant drift. Admitedly lagoons can be quite variable dependent on several factors, but the front reef and back reef areas arnt generally subject to such wide changes.

Its basically a case of accepting and countering the differences between small volume stability (our tanks) and large volume (the ocean).
Regards

Simon Garratt O.C.R.D

#12 Tony B

Tony B

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

Its generally a recommendation based on the fact that in an enclosed system the effects of the biomass on pH values and the density of potential coral growth has a far greater effect on stability than that biomass would have on the surrounding water in the wild.

Having a slightly elevated level counters this effect.

Its not unusual for a great many systems to take up at least 1DkH per day without constant buffering, This has a knock on effect with pH stability allowing a wider and wider 24/7 drift rather than a consistant drift. Admitedly lagoons can be quite variable dependent on several factors, but the front reef and back reef areas arnt generally subject to such wide changes.

Its basically a case of accepting and countering the differences between small volume stability (our tanks) and large volume (the ocean).

^^^ Well put by Simon ^^^

Tim,

We all know anything mechanical will fail, at some point.

I assume you're running a CA reactor? Considering you're running at 7dkh, what would happen if the re-circulation pump failed? Or the water input pipe blocked? Imagine if this happened when you were away for the weekend. With a Dkh of just 7 there is very little reserve in the system - this is why I run my Dkh around 10-11 :lol:

Tony
Tony

Click here for pictures of my old tank and, here for my new grow out tank

#13 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

We run around 9 because its betwean the 8ish they were kept in and the 10 to 11 alot of guys keep their tanks at that we sale to.The other point to think about is the test kits that when getting old often read higher than the tank is,i have had this a few times in the past.

#14 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

^^^ Well put by Simon ^^^

Tim,

We all know anything mechanical will fail, at some point.

I assume you're running a CA reactor? Considering you're running at 7dkh, what would happen if the re-circulation pump failed? Or the water input pipe blocked? Imagine if this happened when you were away for the weekend. With a Dkh of just 7 there is very little reserve in the system - this is why I run my Dkh around 10-11 :lol:

Tony

I inadvertently left the CO2 turned off on my Reactor and the DKH fell from 10.6 to 8 overnight.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#15 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:57 PM

Dkh levels may also have to be set to a certain level because of the type of system a person is keeping ie,a Zeovit system needs to be around 7 to 8 ish, any higher can cause sps tip problems.Not sure why this happens because i have never looked into it,if this is the case perhaps someone on here knows why it happens?.

#16 Dave.I

Dave.I

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I keep mine at 8 with a dosing unit and balling light.24 doses over 24hrs for stability.

A vodka overdose would show cyano and possibly milky water but wouldnt normaly cause die back in my experience.

Dave

#17 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

A vodka overdose can cause oxygen depletion and this can and most likely will cause die back .I have put up somewhere on the forum a link to an article from the glass box site that will run you through the problems with carbon dosing and the overdosing problems

jas
untitled.jpg

#18 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,462 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

I suspect that the 7 to 8 dkh on a Zeovit system has more to do with the way the reactor and its contents work.

#19 Social D

Social D

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:14 AM

Lots of good reads here

http://www.zeovit.co...isplay.php?f=76

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users