• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

hi guys i have had big problems, within the space of 3 days my whole stock of fish barring a sailfin tang and scooter blennie. victims are emperor angel, hawaian black trigger, yellow tang, regal tang, 2 percula clown, algae blennie, 2 cleaner wrasse all dead! i swapped over tanks 2 weeks ago this sat, upgraded from a 400 litre to a 1200 litre system with sump, dylan from carnon downs lfs said i would be ok using 700litre of tank water, 300 from mine and 400 from ** NON SPONSOR ** aquatics carnon downs. now last week dylan was over and reckoned the emperor had velvet and advised to get 2 cleaner wrasse think he may have been wrong about this lol. done some more water tests last night with dylan to try to get to bottom of things, ph was low approx 7.4 and nitrate was 75ppm now these were the only test results that were abnormal. would velvet have taken all the fish this quick??? the trigger was suicidal smashing himself in to the sides of tank and knockin himself senseless! i had to do the decent thing and hit him over the head as it was cruel to watch! any help would be v appreciated. regards matt penryn cornwall

#2 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

sorry about your problems.

tommo will be the best one to advise on the fish disease, so hopefully he will be along soon.

do you know the water reading from the water from your tank, and from the lfs, before you used them?
it may help to list your filtration methods and what your feeding ect.

#3 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:49 PM

feeding was mainly a mix of frozen mysis garlic brine shrimp marine mix algae for the tangs and also a mix of dried foods obviously not all at once! lol water reading were no3 trace, nitrate 75, nitrite 0, phosphate 0.5, calcium 450, sg 1.024, magnesium was normal but can't remember what. lfs water was only slightly high in nitrates 20 but only 200 litres of this used any help is appreciated

#4 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

filtration method is berlin with deltec skimmer, 55kg of live rock 40 kg of ocean plating rock

#5 Rach

Rach

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

Oh matt, Gutted for you. :D Hope you sort it.
Rachael.

#6 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

ok, sit tight and see what tommo says but i would use some commas in your water readings, as they are a little confusing to read. (no offence)

#7 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

taken on board and edited

#8 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

cool.

hight nitrates but not really enough to wipe out the stock like that. i would think the velvet is a likely cause. see what tommo says

#9 Kevang

Kevang

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear about your losses mate, its devastating when it happens, I know it happened to me a few years ago when I lost all my fish stock to Velvet.
One fish was a bit off for a day or so then within 2 days everything was dead. The only good thing to come out of it was that I got rid of my 6 footer and put a 8 footer in its place :D

Its possible you may have had an ammomia spike which may have weakened the fish and allowed it to take hold, or one of those frustrating chain of events that we never quite find out the cause of.

Lets see what Tommo says.

Cheers

Kev
Tankless at the moment :-(

Hopefully not long to wait

#10 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

Pop in with a water sample,could be disease but suspect its the water,if so will sort 45 to 50 gallons of mature water from the sps system to give it a bump in the right direction.If it is a disease it was probably bought on by stress from the upgrade.

#11 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

cheers lindsay i'll prob be in sat afternoon see if we can get to the bottom of all this. cheers matt

#12 bobba fett

bobba fett

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

I had a wipeout when I disturbed a mature sandbed.

How deep was your sandbed? If you had disturbed that and released nasties into the water and then used that water in the new tank you may have inadvertantly poisoned your livestock.

EIther way I'm gutted for you and know how you feel
I suggest a change of plan... Let the wookie win

Check out www.Reefpark.net if you have a minute

#13 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hi M8

Hows it going ,are the fish still dieing or has it settled now

Jas
untitled.jpg

#14 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

hi jas no more deaths still just the sailfin tang and scooter blenny left! and both lookin fine! as for sand bed i mat have inadvertly disturbed it when removing rock! but surely that would send test results up in something?

#15 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

What time of day was the ph 7.4?.

#16 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

hi jas that was in the evening but was after the lights had been out for 3 days! just tested the ph now and its at 8.2 also nitrite 0 nitrate now down to 30! any ideas

#17 bobba fett

bobba fett

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

It sounds very much like the same problem I had,

Number 1 recommendation, get some of Jas and Lindsays water as soon as possible (from their tanks I mean, not their personal water)
I suggest a change of plan... Let the wookie win

Check out www.Reefpark.net if you have a minute

#18 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:03 PM

mate u had 160 litres of water from the invert system wich has a nitrate reading of 2!!! and 60 litres of water from the fish system which sits between 10 and 20 , i think the emperor had velvet in the first tank carried over to the second tank the rest of the fish got stressed and bam , you must get more live rock in that tank asap thats cured to help with the filteration

#19 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

hi dylan you may have to take a check on the water mate it was def 200 litres from the invert system and easy 160 from the fish system as had it all written down so i knew what salt to add to the system, i'm not blaming anybody for whats happened going to have to put it down to a rush job take it on the chin learn from mistakes made and start again!

#20 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

Good attitude m8

As said the day you came in ,there is no blame that can be pointed here and to tell the truth we can all sit down and try work out what went wrong but this wont help anything .

Was good to meet you the other day and as said if we can help in any way just call in m8

jas
untitled.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users