• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 L66

L66

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

Well I am one of those people with no posts who was bidding. The frag night is advertised elsewhere and this is how I found International Reefers. Just because I am new does not mean I won't contribute. Until yesterday I did not know this forum existed.

#22 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

welcome L66 hope you enjoyed the fragnight, post a thread with your tank details etc and pics ;)

#23 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

Welcome to IR L66, be good to see some pics, as we all love pics on this forum ;)

Cheers
Joey

Posted Image

#24 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

A warm welcome L66

;)

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#25 Rach

Rach

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

Well I am one of those people with no posts who was bidding. The frag night is advertised elsewhere and this is how I found International Reefers. Just because I am new does not mean I won't contribute. Until yesterday I did not know this forum existed.

Welcome! I hope we have'nt put you off! lol The forum is a really friendly place.
I'm still classed as a new member but my Hubby has been on here for longer, just got my own account recently! ;)
You wont be dissapointed with your purchases from last night. Cant wait to pick ours up! :D
Cheers, Rach.

#26 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

Problem is putting pressure on members where to post and rules as to what they can and cant do will drive members away from frag night and the forum.
Let the night grow guys and out of 5 members if we get 1 that posts regular and he spreads the word this 1 member will end up as 10 members who post regular .
Also there are members on all forums that just don't like to post but read instead ,we see this a lot during the day as there sign in read for a while and go again.Some don't sign in and there show as guests but as a pattern shows some start to post and become regular posters.

For me i think leave as is ,steady growth makes for good foundations

jas
untitled.jpg

#27 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

i agree.
its not about having the most members but having a forum where some good info can be found. we shouldnt force people to post or they wont visit at all.

#28 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Personally, Ive always lurked on a forum for some time before posting. I like to get a feel of the place and get to know a little about its members before jumping in. That way, I dont make a fool of myself, make a fool of others or end up involved in a forum that doesnt suit me.

IR can be a little daunting at first because of the depth of knowledge that exists here and the closeness of its members.. For a newbie, it may require a deep intake of breath to make that first post, which is a shame as its a very friendly and helpful forum.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#29 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

I agree with Tony its not easy to post up on a new forum for the first time .

This reminds me of a post a while back regarding sponsors post counts ,not just posts of we have this and that in stock but posts asking and answering questions about the hobby .

I know some of the Mods are thinking of having a shake down in the mods section regarding this matter .Sponsorship is free so to give a little back would be great

jas
untitled.jpg

#30 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

For me it was a great night,it is a club meet run as a frag night online by club members for all to join in on IR,which i think is very good of chriss and the guys to do as its a lot of work to make it possible and run very smooth.It is true that a lot of people will join IR to buy corals on frag night,but some may not be forum people and of the ones that are and do end up posting ime sure they will end up being members well worth having on here.

#31 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

I agree with Quigs,

Also, how random is the random selection of winners?

I bid on 5 pieces, won 0 = 0%
Another member bid on 34 and won 28 = 82%+

Seems his random odds are a damn site better than mine :D

Dave,

I've checked out the data as best I can, it's all there in the fragnight thread, and I can only find three bids for you, photos 16, 25 & 27, not five.

http://www.internati.......=&pid=50229
http://www.internati.......=&pid=50071
http://www.internati.......=&pid=50149

Of those three bids...

Photo: 16, available: 3, bidders: 11
Photo: 25, available: 3, bidders: 7
Photo: 27, available: 4, bidders: 21

As you can see, with photos 16 and 27 your odds were pretty long anyhow.

You weren't the unluckiest on the night by a long shot, the unluckiest member lost out fourteen times, but they still won four frags. Thats something like a 20% win rate.

Seven members didn't win anything all evening, but between them they only placed 15 bids on a night which had over 380 bids in total. I'm not sure how many people were online throughout the night, tho I did see it at 49 members, not including guests, at one point. Of all these, only thirty nine members placed any bids.

The member who won twenty seven frags actually bid on thirty nine, so lost out on nearly a third of his bids. They were not the luckiest of the night, that went to a member who had an 80% win rate.

Roughly speaking, the average 'win rate' works out at 36%, twenty three members got a better rate than that, a quarter of those who took part had a win rate of 50% or more with more than half seeing at least a 40% win rate.

Even coming into the shop on the night doesn't guarantee you will get a piece, they were often getting dealt with online before even being mentioned in the shop.

Whats the saying, "You've got to be in it to win it". OK, so I'm not saying you should bid on "any" frag just for the chance of winning something, but that's the chance you take and should be viewed as all part of the fun.

If there is something you are particularly after then perhaps you would be better persuing that outside of the fragnight.

Ultimately as the fragnights gain in popularity, the win-rate reduces as the number of participants increases. I'm not quite sure how to handle this, pre-registration, limited numbers, minimum post count, maximum number of wins, all have their pitfalls. It definitely needs consideration, but has to be thought thru carefully.

Cheers

Chris
Posted Image

#32 bobba fett

bobba fett

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for the stats Chris, I have replied to your PM.

I'm not really complaining, I was doing like you said and being selective, there were 5 pieces where I clicked bid now, not sure why only 3 registered? I could have bid on more but didn't want to take a piece someone else loved when I thought it was just OK for the look i'm after
I suggest a change of plan... Let the wookie win

Check out www.Reefpark.net if you have a minute

#33 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

Me and jas get this all the time lol,the amount of times we order whats on an order list only to open the box and find it not there :D,ring up and get yes did come in but in low numbers so first come got them.I always look at it from a point of we all get what we want in the end but it may take a day or two lol.

#34 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Well like most things in life there will always be ideas how as to better run something but i have to say after the pms and phone calls that came my way after frag night with the great feedback i vote to leave as it is .

I had a guy pm me who won only 1 frag and gave a massive thumbs up ,,loved the night had a good chat with others and was a very good evening with a can of beer sitting next to the comp

My tip ,,enjoy it for what it is

jas
untitled.jpg

#35 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Could it not be weighted in such a way that the more you win, the less your chances of winning the next one?
Lets say for instance that you have 5 chances to win to start with, and each time you win, you reduce your chances by one, so, you go from 5 to 4,3,2,1. This would give those wishing to buy less frags, a higher chance of winning against the bulk buyers.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#36 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:35 PM

For every tweak there are a hundred buts,frag night has an element of fun set up as it is ,which i like.There are between 10 to 12 frag nights a year so i think plenty of time for all to be happy.

#37 Matt G

Matt G

Firefish

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

I really enjoyed the evening, it was the first one I had participated in and thought it was really well run. Knew it was luck of the draw when I started, did think some people had trod in &$it with the amount of luck they had, but I got some nice pieces, but certainly not everything I bid on. I quite enjoyed the anticipation after I had bid to see if I was on the list of winners, kind of added to the event.

Will certainly be joining again. With all that in mind I think it is fine as is, keep up the good work.

(God that sounds sad, enjoying cooking dinner while watching a PC and bidding on coral!!!!!!!!!!!! note to self, get out more!)

#38 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

Well put Matt,thanks from Jason and myself :D .

#39 painter

painter

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

thanks chriss and all the frag team ...excellent night....jas stock is always cracking if i had the chance i would buy all the frags even the mother colonies... any photo shoots each month i am right in there buying be it lps/sps...what it is that i bulk buy for our local reef club and for the last year i have gave jas all the business his way...jas is thee guy .excellent stock.prices. packiging and advice...there is no one else in the uk that beets jason aquatics....i will always buy from the man.....probably guilty myself for not posting in the forums but that is just me and any one that knows me as being computer shy .. i have a local club up our way in ayrshire with over 20 members{8 on frag night] and also we have got our own local club forum with over 30 members ...did not meen to offend in any way guys buying as much frags as i did.... ps jas i will get 1 of my moderators send you a link to our club website.....thanks again guys...kenny

#40 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Kenny and no feeling guilty m8 as as far is I'm concerned its the luck for the draw ,,if memory serves me right you only got 4 or 5 frags last frag night so it evens out .

Frag night is a lotto the same as our photo shoots with the frag night its down to the program to choose the winning bids and the stock shoot is down to being online in time.
I know Chris has put a lot of time in on the frag night program to make fair on all .We used to run it first come first gets like our shoots but due to some guys having a faster Internet connection Chris re designed the program to do random picks

Thanks for the business and kind words Kenny

jas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users