• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Rach

Rach

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

Thanks guys, Not a good day for our pets!
Dont think we could have tried harder for the PBT. It went from being happy swimming around and eating to swimming around in circles last night to dead this morning! What ever it was it took hold fast.
The Kole tang is poorly too and is looking like we'll lose him also but all the other fish are healthy so not sure whats going on. Water readings are all good..........Guess its just one of those things like the poor little guinea pig! :D

#22 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

the water readings are good,although my advise would be to let things settle down cycled water is not mature water the tanks still very new i put a yellow tang in my tank fairly early but powder blue's are a different thing altogether did the kloe tang show ant signs of illness before u put the pb in sorry to hear about the losses im bout to do a water change at home if u want some mature water

#23 tillysreef

tillysreef

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 737 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

sorry to hear of the losses you two :lol:

#24 lardy1912

lardy1912

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

sorry guys know the feelin, especially when things take a turn so quick!

#25 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,322 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

Seen it too many times,some fish are far more sensitive to the ups and downs of an under aged system,i often think its the same for some corals too.If i had to stick my neck out ide say avoid some species for the first 9 to 12 months of a systems life span,its aging period,sorry to here you lost the fish.

#26 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:05 PM

Powder blues, One fish that has always been a problem.

Behavioural traits such as swimming in circles is a clear sign in any acanthurid that a fish is highly stressed. Powder blues dont particularly like high levels of organics such as phenols or any level of toxin in an aquarium. Port of call one should always be carbon if any signs like this appear.

Secondly, They are very weak when shipped as they are both starved and stressed. A newly aqcuired PB will almost always eat within a couple of days because it is starved, regarless of stress. They aren't difficult to keep as such, but they are difficult to settle. For best success a regimented quarantine regime will go a very long way. A small aquarium, maybee an 18 inch cube is sufficient for this, with a single piece of ocean rock and a dusting of sand, plus a mature filter and lots of oxygen. Treat always for flukes with cedapraz or kusuri wormer and treat otherwise only as necessary. Feed good quality frozen feeds plus new era flake and herbivore pellets (or an equivalent) from day one. If the fish won't eat new era flake almost straight away, it is safe to leave some in overnight and it will fall for it.

Finally, the oxygen requirement of these surge zone fish is phenominal. remembering that marine water holds 30 odd percent less oxygen than fresh for a start, an oxygen level in the 6.5 to 8 mg/l region is absolutely imperative to success with this species. extremely vigorous surface movement, and high high general circulation is a minimum effort that must be made, along with a decent skimmer or a 24 hr lit refugium, but a degassing chamber (if a sump is fitted) is also a very good idea with surgeonfish of all walks.

your fish died of Amyloodinium (marine velvet) in all probability, which is a rapid killer, is related to stress and improper quarantine. your other fish may not show any symptoms but i would be wary of introducing anything new for a couple of weeks.

HTH, and sorry to hear about your loss!

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#27 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

Always a shame to loose a fish. Great info from Tommo, something for everyone to bear in mind.

Chris
Posted Image

#28 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:02 AM

perhaps a little late however, Sorry!
effing fish

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic