• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Wasn't planning on. I was planning on putting it in the first section of my sump which is heavily agitated before going into the main chamber which has the skimmer and algae to absorb the co2. If need be - I'll put O2 reactor on it.
The coral above your post isn't polyping - any ideas?

#42 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

An update:

The system is now a hybrid Plastic and pearls and LR system.

The tank is now doing very well with all but 1 coral doing very well. The gobies and damsels and grammers are still breeding away. Corals are growing well with some good colour but unfortunately it doesn't particularly show under 10k bulbs.

pics below
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Looking good,another plastic and pearls tank,will be good to see how it progresses.

#44 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Well I'm a bit hacked off.

I went on holiday for two weeks and came back to white spot.
I lost my Copperband, 5 anthia, 5 damsels, male grammer, 2 clowns. I saved my yellow tang of all fish, 1 damsel, 1 grammer and 2 gobies. I didn't lose anything for 4 weeks but after that I was pulling out 2 deaduns a day.

on the other hand the corals are great. and looking over the pics the growth in 2 months has been amazing, and I thought my corals didn't grow!

The WS outbreak was caused by a chromis dying and being held by the circulation pump rather than dying in the rocks and being eaten by bugs. I had a friend looking after the tank but he doesn't know anything but fish really. Real shame to loose the copperband, the grammer was a breeding pair, the damsels were 6 six years old and bred. Shame.

#45 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thats bad luck,loosing a coral or two can be bad enough but its always worse to loose fish,hope things have settled down and the remaining fish continue to do well m8.

#46 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Well its time for an update to Black Tip Reef.

I moved in November and so the tank had to be broken down.  The system was working reasonably well.  Growth was good and colour was reasonable but wasn’t entirely happy.  Acros didn’t do great but the other SPS did well.  The break down was quiet interesting as it exposed areas of the system that worked well but also areas that weren’t working and so areas that would need improving on the next set-up.

I went for some new pieces of kit.  I’m not calling them upgrades but definitely some big changes to see if they ended up leading to improvements.

The tank was set up again in January by which time the SPS had severly died back and colour had all gone leaving everything brown but at least a had frags to grow on from.  The tank was set up in the middle of the room so that three sides could be viewed.  The tank is 70cm wide which is a good width for scaping.

The first change was a change was to the plumping.  I went for a simple and cheap hose rather than hard piping.  The reason was that if a fish or other animal got stuck in the plumping there was nothing I could do without spending a lot of time and money on replacement pipe. So hose was used on this build.  The next change was the skimmer.  The previous system used a Deltec APF 600 which was a great skimmer.  I changed it to a Shark SK2 which is a cheaper skimmer but had a few advantages.  Firstly it is an in sump skimmer which I liked as it meant that no leaks could happen which always seem to happen when I go on holiday! It also meant that all heat is transferred to the water.  Secondly the air volume is a fairly significant increase.  I don’t think the skimmate is any better but was all for the increased gas exchange.  Thirdly the thing is almost silent which I really like about. So in all the skimmer is a great piece of kit – and at a great price!  

Another change was to the sump pump.  It is a slightly lower flow rate but I was getting electricity in the water from the old pump so the change was made.  The new pump is also quieter than the old Aquamedic pump.

Heating was upgraded to 2 x 300 watt heaters.  They are put in a high flow area of the sump for maximum efficiency.

The final change equipment wise was to lighting.  The halides are gone and 3 x Giesemann Tesla have been put in place.  The lights have now been in place for 6 months and so far I’m very pleased with them.  The whole tank has been re- set up so a side by side comparison cant be done but so far  the colour is much better on all the corals so very pleased with that.  I suspect growth is a bit slower but I’m happier with slower growth but better colour.  The colour of the corals under blue and royal blue leds are awesome – the SPS and zoas are out of this world.  The down side is the lack of heat from the lights.  The heaters are on full time in the winter and the tank struggled to maintain temperature. The tank ran at 25 degrees through the winter, one to keep costs down but also as a bit of an experiment as well  (the Red Sea goes down to 25 during winter as the RED Sea has arguably the best coral growth in the world)  The heat issue is a double edged sword though as through the summer the tank ran comfortably at 27.  The heat issue is why I run as much of my equipment in the water as possible to get the heat transfer.  Looking to move my calcium reactor into the sump as well for the same reason…. Every little helps in winter.

I also replaced the Live rock.  I was using a hybrid plastic and rock set up before but have changed to live rock only.  The whole tank is scaped with 4 pieces of rock to serve as an anchor for corals.  The rock is of a very high quality and is placed so as to have a minimal foot print on the sand.

I’m away at present but once back I’ll post pics.

#47 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

looking forward to the pics,  btw I try to keep my tank at 25 all year round (I thought that's what we all aimed for??) but this summer temp went up to 28 

#48 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,484 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

Sounds good ,agree with what you say above with regards to leds, often talk to people about led and the electric they are looking forward to saving over the halides or t5s they have, my advise to them is that if they want to go to led because they are looking for the different look under light spectrums that can be changed then that's cool but the lack of heat will mean heating the tank and that will most likely even things out on the electric costs.
Your new build sounds good , looking forward to some pics of the sump and tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users