• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:14 AM

As above guys, where can i get some sheets of polished aluminium from because i have got some plans for a Lumenarc and was wanting to make some

If anyone wants a drawing please PM me and ill PM the plan back

Cheers
Joey

Posted Image

#2 Keith

Keith

Copepod

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

As above guys, where can i get some sheets of polished aluminium from because i have got some plans for a Lumenarc and was wanting to make some

If anyone wants a drawing please PM me and ill PM the plan back

Cheers
Joey

Its available in B&Q big stores

Keith

#3 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:19 PM

HOWEVER, I believe there is a difference between what Lumenarc use and that which you get in B&Q, I think the Lumenarcs may be coated with an additional anti-corrosion layer.

I got some of the B&Q stuff to make a reflector to go over my frag tank. Within months it was completely corroded, cleaning it made little difference, unlike the lumenarcs which are barely marked.

The best stuff I've used is polished stainless. The reflector in my old hood was made of this and didn't show any signs of corrosion after eight years or so.

Chris
Posted Image

#4 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

The best stuff I've used is polished stainless. The reflector in my old hood was made of this and didn't show any signs of corrosion after eight years or so.

Chris

Where would i buy some polished stainless chris?

Posted Image

#5 dab

dab

Firefish

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

whats the best thing to polish lumenarcs with,so they keep the reflective shine?
dave

#6 SLAPPY

SLAPPY

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:43 PM

whats the best thing to polish lumenarcs with,so they keep the reflective shine?
dave

I clean mine with ro water and microfibre cloth, then use AutoGlym glass polish. Have done that for several years now with no ill effects.

#7 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Where would i buy some polished stainless chris?

I got mine from SJ Andrews in Redruth. Try phoning a few metal merchants in the yellow pages or even checking out ebay. There is a suprising number of metal suppliers on ebay, if they don't list the piece/size you want send them a PM.

Chris
Posted Image

#8 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

cool cheers chris, how big and how thick do the sheets to be for 2 lumenarcs? not the mini ones

Cheers

Posted Image

#9 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

cool cheers chris, how big and how thick do the sheets to be for 2 lumenarcs? not the mini ones

Cheers

Don't know what the area will need to be, but thickness wise, stainless is pretty tough stuff, I would think 0.5mm thickness would be fine otherwise it'll be a sod to bend. Do you have the plans for the reflectors? That should give you an idea of the size required.

Chris
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users