• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Pete

Pete

Group Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:09 PM

At the momment i'm feeding my nem every 2-3 days on chopped muscles... but since i bought him about 7months ago he's gotten smaller and smaller and smaller..
should i be feeding him something else?

he was 7"'s when i bought him but now its about 3" on a good day..
unfortuantly i'm not 100% on the type

the only real pics i have are
Posted Image

and

Posted Image

#2 karens roses

karens roses

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

Pete. Does he actually eat the muscle or spit it out?
Does your clown take food to it?
I preffer silversides, they are small silverfish that you can buy frozen or I have also used raw shrimp in a pinch.
Sometimes our anemones are fussy and don't like what we are feeding them.
I would suspect that
1. he is not getting enough/the right food for him
2. The clown you have is stealing his food or harassing him as it appears he is quite large compared to the size of your anemone.
I also see that the tips of the anemone are damaged, do you notice the clown sucking on them?
Sometimes they will do that, putting the anemone under to much stress to eat.
I have 6 sugar gliders,4mini horses ,4 SW tanks and two great dogs and two cats
that are identical brothers.
40 acres of woods and ponds in East Texas.
I love to garden to.
Owner of Karensroseanemones.com

#3 karens roses

karens roses

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:56 PM

Something I just noticed in your picture, you have a leather next to the anemone, he is also stressed.
I would move one or the other, prefferably the leather away from the anemone.
There is always warfare between saltwater species and that may also be part of your problem.
I love to garden to.

#4 Pete

Pete

Group Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

it sometimes eats the muscle... but not always..

i try to feed the clown just before so he is off busily chasing food and then drop some muscle in with a turkey baster..

how do you mean damaged? the way some of the tenticles have split at the end into two? i know about 4-5 months ago some of the tenticles got sucked into the filter guard on a powerhead.. i managed to free most of them but some did get damaged.. this may be what you have seen?

i'll try and get some fish.. i think i know the ones u mean as i have seen them in my LFS
ta for the response :D

#5 karens roses

karens roses

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

Pete, you say you feed him with a turkey baster, is it liquified?
If so, he won't eat that.
He needs solid food, a silverside would work best, depending on what size of them you get you may have to cut them up.
But give him a piece of it and see if he swallows it.
By damaged I mean, the tips.
They appear to be roughed up a bit.
But the intake will make them that way also.
Try the fish for him and see what he does.
Feed him that ever couple of days as it takes them several days to digest it.
Let us know how he does ok.
I love to garden to.

#6 dc

dc

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:45 AM

Mine won't eat silversides, I feed it prime reef just about every day. I also thaw in either, tahitian blend, Selcon, Zoe, or what ever kind of viatamin I can find. I thaw it with the other fish I feed my fish.
~Debi~

#7 Pete

Pete

Group Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

its not liquified.. but quite finely diced..

i will get some silversides later today and try them..

cheers all :lol:

#8 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

Not sure if it happens to nems,but i read somewhere that leathers secrete some kind of growth hormone to stop or slow down other corals growth.
If that is true then it maybe why the nems so small

just_me

#9 Pete

Pete

Group Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:08 AM

hmm good thought..
i do have a couple of leathers

#10 Mike4271

Mike4271

Tang

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:52 AM

Something I just noticed in your picture, you have a leather next to the anemone, he is also stressed.
I would move one or the other, prefferably the leather  away from the anemone.
There is always warfare between saltwater species and that may also be part of your problem.

Pay attention Pete :ignore:

Sorry, had to try a new smiley

#11 karens roses

karens roses

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:42 PM

Silversides.
What are they and what they look like.
They come frozen and you can find them at most SW stores.
If not, ask that they order them in.
I love to garden to.

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

we call them lance fish in england.i think they are the same.

#13 Lynda

Lynda

Diatom

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:29 AM

lance fish are similar but a bit smaller I feed chunks of Mysis shrimp that works really well too about 2 or 3 times a week

#14 pez

pez

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

;)

#15 pez

pez

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

:(

#16 pez

pez

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

:0

#17 Guest_KathyRRozier_*

Guest_KathyRRozier_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

Food and light to anemones
Precise needs anemones vary by species, but one thing can be certain that they will need a strong light to survive. This allows the growth of symbiotic algae on which it depends. If you want your flowering anemones you should seriously consider investing in metal halide lighting for your aquarium.
Anemones prefer an environment that is free of organic waste. This may create a problem if they are kept next to coral, in which case the time of their coral feeding and the use of a protein skimmer in the tank of tropical fish is the best policy. As corals, anemones can benefit from the addition of trace elements such as iodine in the water - be sure to read about the species you choose to determine their needs. It is best not to try to keep more than one species in an aquarium until you are sure you know what you are doing.

Although some commercial food products anemones fluids, usually the best way to avoid these as they can lead to water pollution harms the health of the anemones. Anemones need to be fed only once every two or three weeks. Food should be delivered directly to your mouth. Most forms of seafood (clams, oysters, mussels, etc) are appropriate, although the shrimp tend to be preferred. Cut food into small pieces and make sure it is gentle enough for the anemone to eat. If you have the clownfish that will make the task of feeding the anemone for you, though you should be aware that you can try taking the flesh of fish, which are rejected, so you still must ensure that food Suitable entering the aquarium.

A healthy anemone is a good sign of a healthy tropical fish tank. Take good care of water quality, lighting and food and there is no reason why your anemones should not proceed, so a dramatic impression on everyone who sees them.

#18 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

Food and light to anemones
Precise needs anemones vary by species, but one thing can be certain that they will need a strong light to survive. This allows the growth of symbiotic algae on which it depends. If you want your flowering anemones you should seriously consider investing in metal halide lighting for your aquarium.
Anemones prefer an environment that is free of organic waste. This may create a problem if they are kept next to coral, in which case the time of their coral feeding and the use of a protein skimmer in the tank of tropical fish is the best policy. As corals, anemones can benefit from the addition of trace elements such as iodine in the water - be sure to read about the species you choose to determine their needs. It is best not to try to keep more than one species in an aquarium until you are sure you know what you are doing.

Although some commercial food products anemones fluids, usually the best way to avoid these as they can lead to water pollution harms the health of the anemones. Anemones need to be fed only once every two or three weeks. Food should be delivered directly to your mouth. Most forms of seafood (clams, oysters, mussels, etc) are appropriate, although the shrimp tend to be preferred. Cut food into small pieces and make sure it is gentle enough for the anemone to eat. If you have the clownfish that will make the task of feeding the anemone for you, though you should be aware that you can try taking the flesh of fish, which are rejected, so you still must ensure that food Suitable entering the aquarium.

A healthy anemone is a good sign of a healthy tropical fish tank. Take good care of water quality, lighting and food and there is no reason why your anemones should not proceed, so a dramatic impression on everyone who sees them.

Sounds like you know your anemones,do you keep them?.

#19 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

Can you purchase silversides from l.f.s?? i have a bubble tip and would like to try them.

#20 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

:drool3:

Can you purchase silversides from l.f.s?? i have a bubble tip and would like to try them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users