Photo

Engineer Goby (Mottled colour/swollen right eye. Left eye is fine.)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 james.weir

james.weir

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

My engineer goby came out to feed two days ago and had a red sore to the top left of his eye. I thought he'd caught it when digging, he's damaged his scales before on live rock, i've seen him burrow quickly and lose a couple.

12 hours later and his eye looked glazed. 12+3hours and the eye looked glazed and swollen but no longer red. His scales of jet black have gone a mottled grey. I assumed the colour loss was due to it changing colours. His silver horizontal line has now become broken and its verticle lines are forming.

This morning the eye was still glazed and swollen, still no longer red. I fed it some vitamin enriched flake and he then darted back into his cave.

He had a couple of specs of white spot. (Lost a clown to white spot a few weeks ago)

I lost a royal gramma last week after having it for 48 hours. I think that was the result of buying a poor specimen rather than my tank.

My chromis, sixline wrasse and randals goby are fine. I've not noticed and snails or crab shells so I am assuming its just the fish rather than the params.

Tank params are:

pH 8.1 (Stable)
Salinity 1.026 (What I always have it at)
Temp 26.7 (Stable)
Ammonia 0
Nitrate less than 1 (As best the test shows)
Nitrite 0 (Again thats what the test shows)

Your help would be great.

When I feed i'll try to get some photo's though he's a fast fish and doesn't hang about out side of his cave.

(I say its a male, but that's just me giving it a sex rather than it being sexed)

#2 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

Probably not a great deal you can really do other than just allow it to recover and keep things tip-top in the meantime. The stress and chances of being able to treat it with anything successfully are probably worse. Losing a gramma after 48 hours sounds like a poor fish or possibly an acclimatisation issue.

Good luck!

Chris
Posted Image

#3 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:59 AM

Sounds like the gramma was a poor acquisition, they are usually reasonably hardy. One thing to remember is that most shops do run their sg at around the 1.018-22 mark, so its quite a jump to your 1.026!

The goby does indeed sound like he is changing colour, this can weaken them anyway as with any other form of body morphing. The best course of action is to keep up good levels of feeding and more importantly use some kind of supplement that mentions vitamin C, this helps fish repair themselves quicker.

As long as the wound isnt red and isnt fungussed then he should recover. These fish produce good amounts of mucous because of the risks involved with their benthic lifestyle. he should heal rapidly

As an aside, why not get another! they pair well and are capable of producing relatively easy to rear fry when they are adult that forgo any real larval stage

Tom
effing fish

Tom

#4 james.weir

james.weir

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

Sounds like the gramma was a poor acquisition, they are usually reasonably hardy. One thing to remember is that most shops do run their sg at around the 1.018-22 mark, so its quite a jump to your 1.026!

The goby does indeed sound like he is changing colour, this can weaken them anyway as with any other form of body morphing. The best course of action is to keep up good levels of feeding and more importantly use some kind of supplement that mentions vitamin C, this helps fish repair themselves quicker.

As long as the wound isnt red and isnt fungussed then he should recover. These fish produce good amounts of mucous because of the risks involved with their benthic lifestyle. he should heal rapidly

As an aside, why not get another! they pair well and are capable of producing relatively easy to rear fry when they are adult that forgo any real larval stage

Tom

For salinity, my lfs keep their salt at 1.025 so its not too much of a step at all really for the fish. I acclimate using a drip kit into a tub of lfs water. I always get a fish bag of water as well as the bag the fish comes with so there is plenty of water for it to swim in. I acclimate in the dark too. (Well moon light). I've not had much luck with the store I got the gramma from, I lost two clowns on separate occasions. They don't quarantine and they don't always know how long they have had a fish in stock for so it could be that I got a fish a day after it came into the store.

I had considered a pair, but seeing as when I got it the tank was only up for 3 months I didn't want to add too many fish at once.

Here is a pic of the fish today. The wound looks a little red again today :(

Posted Image

Apologies for the bubbles I knocked the skimmer bubble stop as I was putting mysis into the tank to tempt it out and wanted to snap it before it darted away.

Its excrement looked as normal and it still looks as fat as it has done.

All other stock is fine. Corals are all doing really well too. Had a lot of growth recently, so i'm more than comfortable in saying that the tank params are ok.

If it recovers then I may well take your advice and put another in some time in the future. I won't be adding anything for at least a month now I've lost a gramma and had this illness.

#5 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:35 AM

I would say you have velvet m8! Looks nasty, get em all out and coppered if you can! Losses may well begin to increase rapidly!
effing fish

Tom

#6 james.weir

james.weir

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

Just been recommended melafix for the whole tank. What do you think?

#7 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

Melafix is anti parasitic, but isnt good enough or strong enough to deal with virulent diseases like marine velvet. It can help a little with whitespot, but then, so does feeding the fish with immuno stimulants. It is more a therapeutic drug for mild cases!

The ideal reef treatment would be quinine (an anti malarial) WS 3 by King British contains this, but im not 100% sure how much damage the strength of malachite present in the drug would cause simply because i havent tested it!. Best off sticking to that good old favourite copper!

Tom
effing fish

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users