• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 elliot09

elliot09

Diatom

• New Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

In your experience, what's the best magnesium test kit and additive for getting a stable magnesium level?

Been looking at both the Salifert Mg Test and the Salifert Liquid Magnesium, as I don't really want to go above 20 for a test kit or above 10 for a small bottle to try out. What do you think of them?

I'm a bit of a newbie to dosing, other than keeping the pH and alk at the right levels, and calcium to a certain extent.

Cheers for any help!

#2 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:08 PM

tropic marin mag has always been good for me in the past, with a salifert test kit

#3 elliot09

elliot09

Diatom

• New Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:12 PM

tropic marin mag has always been good for me in the past, with a salifert test kit

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the TM Magnesium right now haha.

#4 Reefbrucie

Reefbrucie

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

Hi there, I use the salifert test kit. seems easy enough to use. :lol: Probably as acturate as we need though watch the expiry date as have had a few different salifert kits give wrong readings when they get near the date. I find the Brightwell magnesium-p good stuff but its strong so you dont need to add too much. i.e. though a bit over 10, it will last you much longer than the others esp the liquid ones and so ends up being more economical. :lol:

#5 elliot09

elliot09

Diatom

• New Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

Hi there, I use the salifert test kit. seems easy enough to use. :lol: Probably as acturate as we need though watch the expiry date as have had a few different salifert kits give wrong readings when they get near the date. I find the Brightwell magnesium-p good stuff but its strong so you dont need to add too much. i.e. though a bit over 10, it will last you much longer than the others esp the liquid ones and so ends up being more economical. :lol:

Ahh, yeah, I was just going to ask about powders/liquids. Obviously if it's going to last longer I'm not too concerned about the price being a little higher, works out in the end :lol: Thanks for your help :lol:

#6 djjd

djjd

Firefish

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:43 AM

Ahh, yeah, I was just going to ask about powders/liquids. Obviously if it's going to last longer I'm not too concerned about the price being a little higher, works out in the end :lol: Thanks for your help :lol:

hi there elliott i would look at this by korallen zucht it is expensive but by far the most concentrated on the market.i use it myself as part of my zeovit regime and it is very effective.
http://www.charterho...0ml-p-2760.html
regards
jason

#7 Cass1

Cass1

Tang

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

Hi Elliott
A while ago I had a big problem with Bryopsis and was advised elevated mag levels would kill it off. Due to the size of my system I couldn't/wouldn't buy mag from an LFS but instead went to a lab site and bought the pure chemical. Very cheap in comparison and did the job just as well.
Just curiuos as to why you need to dose mag.
Now the bryopsis is under control I no longer need to raise the mag levels and all is well. Wouldnt regular water changes using a quality salt provide sufficient mag?

Martin

#8 elliot09

elliot09

Diatom

• New Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:05 PM

It should do, as far as my knowledge goes - Complete amateur though :P Test kit's where to start (But I spent two hundred pounds on my reading festival weekend ticket last night - oops!) I guess.

Thanks again for any help guys.

#9 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:16 AM

It's suprising how quick magnesium can be depleted! It's also shocking the amount of people who come into work complaining about unstable buffers and when they get sent away with magnesium at manufacturers recommended dosage with or without test kits their problems then vanish and buffer consumption falls to next to nothing!
effing fish

Tom

#10 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,322 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

It's suprising how quick magnesium can be depleted! It's also shocking the amount of people who come into work complaining about unstable buffers and when they get sent away with magnesium at manufacturers recommended dosage with or without test kits their problems then vanish and buffer consumption falls to next to nothing!

See this could lead to a thread called,on line cheap buffers verse aquatic on shelf buffers lol.

#11 tommo

tommo

Tang

• Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

I know its very wrong of me, but i do my best for customers not willing to spend their precious pennies
effing fish

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users