• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AcanQueen

AcanQueen

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:46 PM

Wondered if my pocillopora has really spawned or if there is some other explanation. Noticed the largest new growth about 6 weeks ago and couldn't imagine how it had got there:

Posted Image

Since then I've found losts of little pocs popping up all over the tank. Here's a pic with the locations - red circle marks the pocs :D

Posted Image

There may be more but as they're so small they're pretty hard to spot:

Posted Image

As you can see this one is next to the war coral and is smaller than a single war coral polyp:

Posted Image

The tank has been running 10 years so def not introduced on live rock. The parent colony is about 3 years old and from what I've read they do reach sexual maturity very early (3-5 years). It's not just contact with the parent colony as it's some distance from all of them. Also it can't be fragments as the places they've grown are quite vertical and wouldn't offer much purchase - ie fragments would have fallen off. The parent has been healthy over the 3 years with steady growth.

All quite exciting but don't really know enough about coral spawning and would really like some opinions.

Sharon

#2 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

Nice one ,,we do have pocillopora spawning in our system and they turn up in the most unusual places .One of them is a stunning purple/pink and green ,lovely coral with very large polyps .
Goes to saying your system has a little something they like ,,keep the pics rolling in

jas
untitled.jpg

#3 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,581 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

Cool,as jas has said above we have the same thing in our sps system.The strange thing is the colony that i thought was spawning has gone now but we have some lrg frags from it still here,which i suspect are still budding or spawning in the system.You could say just because a frag looks small,it still may be of an age to still spawn,possibly :D .

#4 AcanQueen

AcanQueen

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:22 PM

Thanks guys you've made me a very happy woman :) I thought it was the most logical explanation but at the same time couldn't quite believe that it had happened in my tank! Interesting that your frags have spawned but I guess with a frag at least some of the coral is mature & maybe size is not the main factor. Any thoughts as to what triggers the spawing? I always thought that lunar cycles play an important role but I don't see how my tank can be influenced by that given its postion indoors.

Sharon

#5 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

I think some corals spawning demands are less than others and the pocillopora is one of the easy sps to have spawn in a system.

Be Good to see any update Growth Pics that you may have for the pocillopora

If anyone else have had coral spawning it would also be great to see some pics .If no spawning maybe some pics of corals that have just appeared in your systems

I will try get a few pics of the pocillopora we have had spawn in our system

jas
untitled.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users