• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

hi every one, first i want to say, i am new to the game and i nothing about marine/sw !!my tank is 6ft-2ft-2ft, first of all can i put inverts in my tank a couple of days after i have just sorted the water ?? to get the eco system going, there will be a mix of coral sand and live sand in there with, coral bin frags mixed in aswell, does any one have any thing to help me ?? i do have protien skimmer, sump pumps filters powerheads etc, but i really am a new boy to this game so if any wants to help in any way they can feel free because my ears are wide open !! if any one wants to email me feel free my email is mikerollins@hotmail.co.uk thnk you mike
“Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.”

#2 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

welcome to the site. dont rush into getting livestock into the tank. get the rock, sand and water in and start testing the water for a week or 2.

how about some pics of what you have already as it may help us to help you.

#3 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,555 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:35 PM

Welcome to IR

As Ben has said the key is to take your time, it's hard I know but really is the best way :mellow:

You say you have live sand, what about live rock ?, this is the most common method of filtration these days

Don't be afraid to ask, we never stop learning

#4 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

One more question, where abouts are you ?

That's a fair sized tank for a beginner, take your time and ask a lot to get the most out of it. The more info you can give us about your setup the better.

Chris
Posted Image

#5 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

well than you very much, the live rock will be coming shortly, i just have to get paid first lmao, also i live in torrington in devon, if thats any help ?? i will get sum pictures on here as soon as i can, thanks mike
“Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner.”

#6 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Welcome to IR,as said above ask away.

#7 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

right every body im filling the tank with ro water and mixed in salt i will keep you all posted, the water dnt look to clean at the moment is this the salt no fullly desolved ??

#8 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

You would be right there mate, give it over night and it should have cleared

Oh and welcome to IR

Joey

Posted Image

#9 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

please somebody help me asap, i piped up the ro unit and the water is coming out at 86 on the tds metre, i clearly have piped it up rong, can somebody help me fit it ???? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

#10 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

what unit have you got and did you follow the instructions? :) also you could have it turned to flush and not run

Joey

Posted Image

#11 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

its ok i emailed maty and he has told me how to pipe it up lol, i tested the tap water on the tds metre and it was 158, and the ro water is 34 is that ok or not clean enough ??

#12 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

Well its better than 158 lol but should really be 0.00tds, im not that clued up about RO units though im sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon

Joey

Posted Image

#13 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

thanks joey, im very great full pissed right off but very great full lol

#14 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

pissed off or pissed on by your RO unit :) lol

Posted Image

#15 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

lmao not you buddy the ro unit, to me its money wasted !!! i should of brought the other one that you put the putty solution in !! i actually cant belive it its so frigging anoying !!!!!! my first ever tank and i cant even get the water right !! wat a shitter !!!

#16 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:02 AM

if the tap water is 158 then you should get zero TDS easily, even without a DI filter. if its second hand then i think the filters need changing.

34 is way to high imo

#17 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:08 AM

WELL I TESTED THE WATER IN A CUP AND IT WAS READING 34 BUT WHEN I TESTED THE WATER STRAIT FROM THE PIPE IT TESTS 0.00 SO I THINK THERE 34 PPM IN THE CUP ITS SELF FROM DISH WASHER ETC ??? COUL;D THAT BE POSSIBLE ???

#18 elliot09

elliot09

Diatom

• New Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

Yeah, you have to be careful not to get contaminants when you're measuring TDS, because they can affect the result a lot. If you're measuring it in a cup, best thing to do is wash it out thoroughly with the RO water that you're testing before you put in a sample.

#19 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

For future reference, it can take quite a while for new filters/membranes to totally flush themselves clean and yes, your cup could easily be contaminated.

Chris
Posted Image

#20 mikerollins

mikerollins

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ALL. I THINK THE RO UNIT IS FINE BECAUSE OF THE TEST STRAIT OFF THE PIPE, SO THE TANK SHALL BE FILL TONIGHT ALONG WITH MIXED WITH SALT AND RUN FOR THE NEXT WEEK !! BUT CAN I PUT THE LIVE SAND MIXED WITH CORAL SAND IN AS I AM FILLING THE TANK ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users