• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

I bought some of Marcus' food today and it has got me thinking about feeding my SPS and amino acids etc and must say I dont really understand it. Do corals absorb the dissolved nutrients in the water or do they actively feed? I've never really fed my corals other than fish poo, cyclopees and light. I do know my growth does not match that of other peoples systems even though my water quality is good and stable. so now I'm thinking more about feeding the corals. So do you all feed your corals? What do you use? do you think it will improve my growth rates and colours using foods like Marcus'?

Thanks

#2 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

YEP i feed sps twice a day lol,feeding your sps will increase the growth i think,if other things like flow and light are up to par.Relying on nutrients alone to feed corals is ok but how do you know there is enough within the system to aid not just survival but growth too.The other thing is that when you add fish food to a sps tank you can see a clear increase in polyp activity,they appear to be looking for food,so i feed them :P .

#3 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Lindsay,
So what do you feed your corals?

#4 AcanQueen

AcanQueen

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

I'm a firm believer in feeding all my corals and every life form in the tank. With SPS I also think that feeding speeds up growth especially since the lighting on my tank is pretty low in terms of SPS (6 T5 80 watt tubes) yet I'm more than happy with the growth rates.

I feed the tank as a whole every other day although if I had a dedicated SPS system I would do the same as Lindsay with a slow continuous flow of food. SPS need very small particulates like rotifers (easy to breed yourself), Coral Frenzy, oyster eggs and my special mix of any fresh, uncooked shellfish I can get hold of at the supermarket puréed to a jelly like consistency (Delia would love it!). This is in addition to the fish feeding (3 times a day).

Also by feeding your tank you are feeding all the other creatures in the tank that can provide food for the corals when they release eggs - eg snails, shrimps and starfish regularly spawn in my tank.

SPS do capture food via the polyps and they also absorb through their tissue - hence the idea behind amino acids. I've only recently started adding amino acids but haven't really seen any difference but maybe it's a time thing.

#5 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

OK thanks for that. Think I'll make up some of my own food as well. See if that helps.
BTW - just looked over your system and that is a very beautiful tank!

#6 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,612 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

Thanks Lindsay,
So what do you feed your corals?

On top of the frozen for the fish i have for a while now been feeding Marcus,s dry foods,ie the sps and lps dry foods,of late i have been adding a ball of the pellet food to the glass which breaks down fast as the fish eat it,this seems to work well for the corals.
As AcanQueen put perfectly,i think a system that has slowly been built up to be able to accept regular and generous feeding for both the corals and fish will often show better colour,growth and health than one that is running lean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users