6 replies to this topic

#1 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

Hi all,

I'm in the thinking process of adding a sump to my RSM 130. My thoughts are to take out all the equipment out of the back compartment's and drilling 2 ho;es in the bottom for 2 standpipes, or would it be better to use an overflow box? What would be the best size pipes to use and where would i purchase some bulkheads and taps from?

Ive already got an old sump which will be chopped down to size to fit in the cabinet, i will take some pics as i go as well for all you pic junkies :D

Thanks for your time

Joey

P.S. Would need a hand drilling the tank :o as ive never done it before :D

Posted Image

#2 sigee

sigee

Tang

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

From experience...DONT USE AN OVERFLOW BOX...
I cant wait to get rid of mine.Nothing but trouble and the weakest of weakest links in the system.
This is the second time Iv had one and I go to sleep at night praying it will behave untill I get the new drilled tank.
They always fail,it can be a few days or a few months or even a year after you install it,but it will fail.

Si
www.sgknives.co.uk Hand made custom knives

#3 ben

ben

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

find out if the glass is drillable first. bulkheads are available from plumbase cheap. defo dont use an overflow if you dont have to.

#4 mrfishy

mrfishy

Tang

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

Hi Joey
Lifereef make a prefilter box designed for the red sea max. I had one in my RSM as many others do and it never let me down, tried my best with power shut offs put always stopped and restarted every time.They are based in the USA but ship out to UK.
I know of a few RSM's that have been drilled, but after talking to the chaps at red sea i opted for the lifereef option.
If your going down the sumping route there is a very good US forum where they have a very active rsm section with hundreds of owners, let me know if you want details.
this is a photo of mine before i changed over to my present tank
Posted Image
What could possibly go wrong !!!

#5 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Nice RSM
Ive just emailed Red sea to see if it can be drilled, just waiting for a reply.

Yeah could you send the details over please

Joey

Posted Image

#6 mrfishy

mrfishy

Tang

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

PM'd !!
red sea will tell you no way :D :D
What could possibly go wrong !!!

#7 Joey

Joey

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

Well, got the old sump stripped down, cleaned and cut to size today so just need to get hold of some glupe and stick it all back together.

Will get some pics up when i get 5 mins

Joey

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users