4 replies to this topic

#1 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi guys,

Seeing your the font knowledge for Acropora Hoeksemai, you make them solid blue and grow like weeds i wondered if you can help with a small problem.

My Acropora Hoeksemai has a good 2" of stunning blue tip on one branch that is growing well, the rest is a dark blue/purple brown and growth is very slow. The problem i have it looks like the edges of the corallites on the lower branches has stripped and getting some brown algae growth on it. The light blue area is absolutly fine

i have attached a bad pictures, if you look closely you can see the brown tufts in it, i first thought it was just catching food whats the expert opinion then

Posted Image

#2 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

is the coral getting enough flow

#3 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hi Pete

The Hoeksemai has 2 very large requirements.

If you take a look on the Zeo forums a lot of guys cant keep them ,they have gone from a tank with a good algae bed to the stones and after a while they loose them .
It seems that even if they feeding the tank well its not enough and the outcome is the same .In our experience they do well when getting moderate flow not hammering right at them,keep them clean from detritus and base algae growth free.
This coral needs to feed hence the reason for being such heavy polypers so to strong a flow is not a good idea as they need to catch food.
Problem with a LNS for this coral is if your not adding a lot of food for it it needs to take up the difference with Nutrients in the system and theres nowhere near what it needs in a UNLS.
If they don't get these requirements they get weak and slowly start to die off .I have seen so many posts from guys with UNLS systems struggle with this coral where before they went UNLS they were getting great results and growth .

Give us a call m8 ,07756195118

jas
untitled.jpg

#4 Tony_B

Tony_B

Diatom

• New Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

I've got one and I've found it does best with not too much light and low-ish flow.

#5 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

As above,heavy feeder and like moderate flow,too much flow and the polyping drops back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users