1 reply to this topic

#1 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

hi all
i found this post that i read a while ago and as im starting a new tank soon i was thinking about having a go at making some diy live rock,has anyone out there made any? what if any are the issues with it and what recipies do you have.
ive spent many hours reading other threads and watching you tube videos on this stuff and cant see any real negatives.

the only thing is a lot of the larger ,mounds and general rock work are moulded over sand or as in simons post a plastic covered mould, to give the reqd shape but this then makes them hollow,so will this make for better flow through the structure or create stagnant areas with a build up of detritus?
but it does look fun and the shapes are infinite,also i have a long wait ahead of me before the new tank will be running so curing the stuff wont be a problem.
cheers john.

This is a link to an article that was done for Reefs Magazine in the US. It covers the ins and outs of fake live rock manufacture for the home reef, and the scope of such methods. It also has some minor but very relevant info regarding the environmental impacts associated with real live rock harvesting.

Faking It

Regards

Simon.

#2 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

simon garratt is your man on reef eden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users