• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

As announced in my, " Hi " thread, i have just purchased my first decent sized marine tank.
As, suggested by a member, here is a thread to upload pictures as my tank progresses and hopefully for you all to suggest ideas.

It is still very early days, and alot of thought is going to be needed to take this tank to its full potential.

So far, i have the tank and cabinet. the tank being 3' long, 2' high and 1.5' wide.
My plans are to, after talking to Jason today, remove the devider inside the cabinet and reinforce the cabinet using some 2x2, making greater space for me to utalise for my sump.

My first thoughts for my sump, after talking to jase, is to try and squeeze a 3ft one in the cabinet.split into four sections, being, one for the inlet and a protein skimmer, with perhaps a filter bag over the inlet hose. next chamber will be a sand bed and chaeto algae, next smaller chamber will be a crypto chamber and next will be the return pump chamber.

(any thoughts??)

My plans for lighting are to have one 250W lumenarc and two 24W T5 actinics and i would like to try and keep the wood trim around the top of the tank and just remove the top to accomadate this.

As i have said, this is still in the early stages of planning and so now is a great time for everyones help, experience and success's.

so... the tank!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now, a quick question, i have two protein skimmers, which is best?

one is an aqua-mdeic turboflotor 1000, the other is a TMC V2 800

Posted Image

#2 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:31 PM

aqua medic but the tmc ones can be good if ya stick a decent pump on them nice start by the way

#3 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

aqua medic but the tmc ones can be good if ya stick a decent pump on them nice start by the way

I was swinging more towards the aqua medic, not because i know which is better but because it just looks easier to use.

does the TMC use an external air pump with the system? as it has an air tube feed?

#4 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

My take on the sump would be to have a single centre section as large as possible to get as much cheato in as you can. Then have a suspended tray or floor in this section for your sandbed with a cryptic zone underneath. Cryptic zones don't need to be full height and the extra cheato space would be highly advantageous.

Skimmer wise, tmc's are fine if you replace the stock pump with an eheim and they don't need an air pump.

Good luck

Chris
Posted Image

#5 SLAPPY

SLAPPY

Killer Whale

• Members
  • 6,794 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Is that radiator likely to be on most of the winter? Could possibly cause some heat issues.

Also, a word of caution, I had a sump too close to a brand new radiator in the past and the moisture from the sump attacked it,the radiator started to rust so had to replace it in the end as it looked awful.

#6 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,549 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

Agree with chris on the sump layout, this is how I'm planning mine.
Keep the updates coming :P

#7 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Is that radiator likely to be on most of the winter? Could possibly cause some heat issues.

Also, a word of caution, I had a sump too close to a brand new radiator in the past and the moisture from the sump attacked it,the radiator started to rust so had to replace it in the end as it looked awful.

mum and dad do have the heating on alot in the winter, but it is turned down in my room as i always have the window wide open :P

but i have got the option of swapping the fish tank with the wardrobe next to it.

moving it all around wont be a problem for a while as i dont plan on having any water in it soon, as i need to decorate my room before hand.

#8 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Also, another question, i know i am far from needing this yet, but i do plan on keeping some fish in my aquarium. Is a UV sterilser an essential piece of kit? just i can be looking out for a bargain

cheers

#9 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:15 AM

UV is not essential but will help to keep some parasites in check.
If you are careful with your fish selection and stocking you should be ok.

Paint the back of the tank before you decide where it's going :P

Most people go for a blue but you can use black.
Don't use gloss as it takes forever to dry and needs quite a few coats.

Talk to Lindsay about your skimmer choice, he uses the TMC ones in the shop :D

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#10 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:19 AM

No you don't need a uv, I've never had one and have had plenty of tangs in the past.

I've just noticed your stand, I would consider removing the divider to extend the sump space, tho you may still want to include a support front and back. We can give you some ideas on doing that if you like.

Chris
Posted Image

#11 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for everyones help so far.

when you say paint the back of the tank, do i need to use a special paint??

also,i do plan on removing the middle devider in the cabinet, i think i tried explainin this at the start, but i plan on using some 2x2 to strengthen the cabinet. but any other ideas would be great.

cheers

#12 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

and also, back to the uv steriliser, will one like the TMC 200 be sufficient?

#13 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

well if that tank is going to be under 200 litres inc sump then yes , i dont run a uv if you are going to it's essential running the water through it at the right speed else it's a waste of time , ie 2500 lph return pump through that uv would not work as there wouldnt be enough contact time between the uv and water ,, 2 coats of external gloss did it for me :P :D

#14 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

the tank its 243 litres and i estimate the sump around 100. would it possible to use the uv on its on small pump inside the sump?

#15 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,514 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

the tank its 243 litres and i estimate the sump around 100. would it possible to use the uv on its on small pump inside the sump?

Welcome to IR,yes you would be better off with the uv having its own pump that should be rated at the correct flow speed for the size uv you are running,as Dylan has said above the uv and pump need to be matched.I dont run a uv on the coral tanks but do on the fish system because i think a uv can kill a lot of beneficial life that corals enjoy,this is just a personal impression.on the skimmer,i cant say which one would be better because i have only used the v2 one,a good skimmer for the price if the pump is upgraded as said above.keep the questions and updates coming.

#16 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:21 PM

i would like to keep corals and fish, so what is the best answer? go for a smaller rated uv like the 200 so that it isnt completely destroying every last orgasnism? where would i best placed? in the main tank or the sump? i presume the main tank, as i want my sump to be full of loads of organisms??

opinions much needed :P ?

#17 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:55 PM

anyone???? :(

#18 sigee

sigee

Tang

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:00 AM

Ever since I got a bit of whitespot a few months ago I have been running a 25w uv on my return pump.
I also run ozone for a couple of hours at night.
When I set up my new tank I will continue running it but on a smaller seperate pump so that at least some of the good stuff makes it into the tank.

Si
www.sgknives.co.uk Hand made custom knives

#19 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

cabinet now opened up inside and strengthened

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 davidoff

davidoff

Diatom

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

i run a V200 uv on my system, return pump flat out straight thru it, for the 1st time in a year and half I turned mine off for a week as I wanted my biopearls to establish quicker, not sure if it was coincidence or not but shortly after switching of the uv my emperor angel got white spot and died a couple of days later, so uv is back on again now, although what lindsay says is interesting and I maybe tempted to try without it at some point to see if the corals benefit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users