• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

I finally got my Copper Band Butterfly today after 2 months of waiting. Looks like a good fish though. Not what you'd call fat but then when are they ever fat! But not pinched either. A few marks on the fins but nothing major. I introduced him over 3 and half hours and he seemed pretty happy so let him out. He's quite big at 4" inches or so, or should I say huge at 4"!!
He's swimming about at the front with the lights off. An anthia came out and they scared the life out of each other.
Hopefully he'll settle in well and start tucking in to my carefully cultivated Aip gardens.
I'll get some pics sorted.

Cheers

J

#2 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Sounds good,once he settles in start to hand feed your fish,they become brave and tame this way and by hand feeding you make sure he gets a good feed.

#3 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Once he has finished off any fan worms and starts chomping on your aips he'll soon fatten up.

Chris.
Posted Image

#4 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

There are loads of Aips and tube worms so should keep him going for a bit.

He's out and about but pretty shy. He's pecking at the rocks. Not tried any food that he would eat yet but will try tonight. Would be surprised if he starts feeding tonight.

How long does it take Lindsay before you get yours to feed? Maybe different in a reef system when they have better things to eat??

Cheers

#5 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

He probably won't take much food until he's had the most of your worms and aips so don't panic too much if he doesn't feed straight away. Mine was real picky at first, only taking whole brine of krill, but isn't so fussy now but still won't take pellets or flake.

Chris
Posted Image

#6 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

An Update,

He's doing well and is putting weight on. The fins have cleared up. It was a type of fungus on the fins. A bit worrying that he was shipped like that! but all clear now. He took his first bit of brine shrimp last night. Not a lot but its a start.

It's amazing how much aips he has taken. I thought it would take him a month or two to get rid of them but he's 90% of the way through them in 5 days! fantastic. So far he's not bothering any corals.

He's still v shy. He's out and about under ambient light and under blues but hides away once the main lights come on.

Over all I'm pretty happy with him.

Cheers

#7 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Good result so far then.

Chris
Posted Image

#8 sigee

sigee

Tang

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

Mine was very shy to start with but he is now the boldest fish in the tank by far.
I know I could catch him by hand if I wanted to,hes that tame.
Good luck with him.
Si
www.sgknives.co.uk Hand made custom knives

#9 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

An update for anyone wanting to try one of these:

He's polished off the aips so now the real test starts! He's feeding on brine shrimp but not enough to keep him healthy. Coming out a fair bit more now with the lights on. He's doing well but want to see him it a bit more and few more things. Keeping weight on so all in all can't complain. Still no picking at corals.

#10 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

Soak the food with lipovit and immuvit, might make it tastier and help ensure what he does eat is full of goodness.

Chris
Posted Image

#11 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

Yep, all my frozen foods are coated with new eras lipo spray.

#12 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

CBB is now eating Brine shrimp, krill and bits and pieces in the tank.

I added my yellow tang back into the tank and I'm pleased to say that they are getting on great. Don't think it would of gone so well if I'd put them in the other way around.

#13 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

Good news.

Chris
Posted Image

#14 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:26 AM

it would be great if you could get him on mysis has more nutrition than the brine

#15 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

it would be great if you could get him on mysis has more nutrition than the brine

Agree with the above,glad to hear he is doing well,getting him on mysis will be much better in the long term,good move with the tang,they can be a pain with copperbands.

#16 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

He feeds on Mysis. He feeds on most frozen foods so I hope he'll be a long term fixture!

#17 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

What do people feed their CBB's? Mine feeds well on Brine Shrimp and Mysis but would like to add more variety.
Cheers

#18 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

Brine and mysis is all mine takes. Doesn't look at pellets or flakes, well it looks but doesn't take nag. I think it's largely due to the size of it's mouth since my long nosed butterfly is the same.

I feed pappone from time to time and it will go after that. It contains blended clams, cockles, muscles, shrimp amongst other stuff. Again, since it's blended it is small enough to eat.

Chris
Posted Image

#19 ANDYG

ANDYG

Tang

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Mine prefers mysis and krill, he sucks in the krill munches away then spits out the head. he will eat brine but prefers the others and like chrisses won't touch pellet or flake.

#20 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

Thanks guys. I'll try Krill as well. Mine doesn't eat Pappone. He seems to only like whole animals.
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users