19 replies to this topic

#1 MandiW

MandiW

Diatom

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hi

Thought i would post some pics of our Seahorse Fry (or some of them)
We have some 11 week old reidi, 9 week old reidi and 12 week old Erectus, here are some pics of the 9 week old Reidi (we have 166 of those) and the 12 week old Erectus.
I am very proud of my little babies, all eating really well, the Erectus are fully weaned onto frozen mysis.
Mandi

Attached Files

#2 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

they are amazing

#3 MandiW

MandiW

Diatom

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hi

Thank you, they are very hard work but they are fascinating. the top and bottom pics are Reidi at 9 weeks and the middle two are my 12 week old Erectus fry.
Reidi male is due to give birth again over the weekend.

#4 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Well done ;)

And welcome to IR

:)

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#5 Indulge

Indulge

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

They look fantastic, and so healthy. I have heard that they are really difficult to raise the fry sucessfully.
You must be very dedicated, this is surely what we all want, tank bred seahorses here in Britain, not ones
that have to be flown half way around the world.
Well done.

Regards

Pam :)

#6 daza

daza

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Fantastic always loved them,well done they all look healthy may have to do a lot of reading up on them them :)

#7 MandiW

MandiW

Diatom

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

Hi
Thank you all for your kind comments and your welcome to the board.
They are wonderful and very addictive. It is alot of work to raise them but well worth the effort to see them when they are feeding.
I have taken some more pics this morning i will post those of them feeding its just a mass of reidi babies its wonderful to see.
Reidi are apparently one of the hardest seahorses to raise as their fry are pelagic and small at birth and for this reason it does seem that although captive bred ones are available they are likely to be coming from Sri lanka where they breed them.
It would be so great if we were able to get seahorses that were actually bred here in the UK. I would like to work with H.Barbouris as well but sadly i can't as yet find suitable specimens to try and breed from. So the search for those still goes on.
I am waiting the next brood of Reidi which look like they might be arriving anytime soon looking at the male this morning.
i will post more pics soon and will post of the new arrivals when they get here.
mandi

#8 Timo

Timo

Diatom

• New Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

looking good. My wife wants to keep seahorses this will make her jealous.

#9 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

Great work. Really good to see people breeding and raising stuff. welcome on board as well

#10 MandiW

MandiW

Diatom

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

Thank you so much for your kind welcomes to the board. I work really hard with the seahorses but think its worth it. i do beleive its got to be the way we all need to be buying any of our marine stock, captive bred/ propogated is the way we should be looking and even better if we purchase it captive bred in the UK.
I am struggling so much to obtain the seahorses that I want as i just can't find CB in the UK, i was very lucky with my Reidi adults and the Erectus but the other species are proving very difficult to obtain. If anyone knows of breeders of Barbouri I would love to find some, I have located a breeder abroad that i might have to drive over to collect young when he has them ready but UK bred i would prefer as long as they are good specimens.
Mandi

#11 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Stunning,well done,welcome to IR.

#12 Indulge

Indulge

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

Hi

I never new they could have so many babies at one time :whistling:

When they get old enough will you be selling them, I wouldn't think it's possible to keep them all.

Have your next brood arrived yet?

I have a friend who once tried to breed them but was unsucessful.

Regards

Pam

#13 MandiW

MandiW

Diatom

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hi Pam

Yes they can have hundreds of babies and as soon as he has given birth, he'll rest for short while and then he'll be chasing the female for the next brood, and he never learns !!

Out of what he has we do only select the very best and strongest to raise.

unfortunately yes they will be for sale when they are old enough, as much as i would love to there is no way i would keep them all. I shall keep a few of them, but the rest will have to be sold. I shall be selling them with a certificate of birth when they do go so that people know where they were bred and their DOB etc along with some of the food they are weaned onto so as to ensure as little disruption as possible for my little treasures.
I have to do my very best for the little beauties that i have bred. All my hard work has to worth it on them.

Yes next brood arrived on Saturday and he had 210 this time so we have those growing nicely as well at the moment.

I could do with catching up on some sleep though its very hard work and long days raising them.

shame your friend wasn't successful, it is very rewarding, to be honest i wasn't expecting to be this successful but it just seems that i have the knack with them.

Mandi

#14 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

welcome to IR.

#15 MandiW

MandiW

Diatom

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

HI

Thank you for the welcome. i will try to come and post more often, at the moment i am quite busy with fry etc so spare time is very rare.
All babies still going strong, the Reidi are now 11 weeks thats the large batch of 166 and all looking good, taking frozen cyclopeeze really well and showing good interest in mysis. The 13 week old Reidi are now eating frozen mysis and bright orange, i will have ot get some pics of them. i need to replace the light in their tank as the main one failed so rigged up lEDs for now nad they are not goo for taking proper colour pics. i also have 50 x 6 week old Reidi and 130 x 2 week old Reidi and the male is about to have more this weekend and he's huge this time so going to need plenty of incubator space available for them. nightmare.
My Erectus babies are now 13 (nearly 14) weeks and eating so well its a complete feeding frenzy when i put in their mysis meal (these a fully weaned now). The noise form the snicking is crazy, sounds like popcorn popping. I only have 14 of these but chosing which ones to keep is going to be very difficult, have to keep telling myself that i can't keep them all !!
thanks for you kind words and warm welcome to the board, i will try to come back more often.
Mandi

#16 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:05 PM

Stunning,keep the updates coming,cool pics,what camera is it?.

#17 MandiW

MandiW

Diatom

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:38 AM

Hi Lindsay
will certainly keep the updates coming in between water changes !! seems to be the main part of my life but its all fun.
i used my panasonic camcorder it takes brilliant pics. I've had it for ages so its out of date now i should think but it has 42x zoom and works wonders with the fish.
did take a nice video of the Erectus babies the other day being fed its a stampead a feeding time for frozen mysis and really rewarding to watch. I'll have to post pics of them as new babies and them now at just over 3 months. In fact they are not quite sexable yet although i have my eye on two that look like they might be males, one of which supprised me this morning by starting to display, head tucked right in and flashing pale colours to one of the others. I couldn't beleive it, would think it far too early for that sort of caper yet, no pouches visable yet so they wouldn't do anything about it anyway, but was supprised he even started his showing off.
I'll have to see if i can post that, not good with the tech stuff :-) seahorses and other marine fish i am fine with and seem to have the knack but tech stuff no good !!
Mandi

#18 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,643 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to I/R mandi and well done with the fry as there not an easy one to keep going

Love to see them getting bigger as time goes on and Like Lindsay said ,keep the pics and updates rolling in as would be lovely to see there progress

yours

jas
untitled.jpg

#19 daza

daza

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

As the boys have said keep the pics coming, i love those little horses. think i may have o sort out another tank this may get the mrs into the salty side of things :sign_lol:

#20 MandiW

MandiW

Diatom

• New Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hi

They are great. I now have another 400 as well. So have alot of babies at various ages and so far all doing well. Would not expect to raise all 400 from the new batch though, will go through them over the next few days during water changes and select only the very strongest to raise. But still at the moment i think i am at around 700 reidi fry ranging from 2 days old to over 3 months old. Plus our small brood of Erectus.
Will keep the pics coming on their progress. The oldest Reidi are now orange and looking super. They are slower to wean than erectus but the erectus grow quicker so are a little bigger than Reidi at the same age which probably has something to do with it.
You'll have to get another tank set up they are addictive and so fascinating to watch.
Mandi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users