• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 rjay

rjay

Diatom

• New Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Had a few Aps in tank tried boiling water, kalk mix which was quite fun to use and even burning them off rocks! then I had hundreds pop up! A Copperband and 3 Berghia have worked wonders for my tank and my Aps where mm to at least 2 inch high! Good luck to everyone with this pest !!

#62 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

Was showing Tony,AndyG and Ang our copper band at work yesterday .

I think if you have Aps the best way is the Copper band as there a stunning fish that will always keep on top of the problem

B Nudi as a second choice ,,never had them but I'm told there very good.Only problem is that once the Aps have gone soon to follow is the Nudi so your have to get more for future out breaks of Aps.

Third would be the peppermint shrimp ,,a lot slower at doing the job.I would say have a few in the system from an early stage of the systems life so they can get on top of any outbreaks before they get a foothold

jas
untitled.jpg

#63 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:48 PM

When it comes to Manjanos your need to take the approach to a longer more manual job.
Take a day in the weekend to take all the rock out and go through each rock and coral with a tooth pick and stick the tooth pick under the foot and flick them off .They unlike the Aps can be removed easily as they don't seen to fasten to the rock like the Aps do.

Its a long job but one you can with time and Patience resolve .

If this is to long a job for you there is another way ,,bin the rock and get new or good second hand rock to replace with.

Don't quote me but I'm sure there is a butterfly that will eat them but I'm not sure what it Will do to other corals .

Good luck m8

jas
untitled.jpg

#64 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,540 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

Majanos are a right pain, I had them in my last tank and they got to plague proportions, As Jas said the Raccoon Butterfly (Chaetodon lunula) will eat them although it is not considered reef safe esp with desirable anenomes and lps. I was going to try one but due to the upgrade I decided to go with new rock.

#65 ANDYG

ANDYG

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

We were most impressed watching the copperband at jasons, he mopped up over a dozen aps in seconds on a fist size rock, then swam off when there was no more.

I have a copperband and he keeps any in my tank at bay.

I have a few still on rocks where he can't get at, so have had to move a coral to give him some room to work, they'll soon be gone.

I'd opt for a Copperband any day, stunning fish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users