5 replies to this topic

#1 Pat101

Pat101

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

HI all.

Have a strange one to ask, my mag levels of late always seems to be on the high side, around the 1440 mark, but has been up to 1500.

Now obviously I'm not dosing for mag at the mo but in the past December January time I was dosing up to 1380 mark, the tank was sucking up a fair bit at the time.

Is having high mag a disaster waiting to happen and if so what action should I take?

Today I have just tested the RO water and as soon as I put the mg-2 powder In after the drops it went straight to blue. When I tested the Mixed water ( TMC Pro reef salt) I Got 1455 and the tank Is now 1440.

All other Parameters are fine and stable using the balling method, temp is around 26 to 27 but stable salt at 1024. The tanks been running about 11 months now full of mr Jasons finest.

Testing with Salifert kits.

The colours and growth coming from the tank are great so there doesn't seem to be a problem at the moment but I don't wanna sit back and let one arise.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Pat

#2 Indulge

Indulge

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

I also have had VERY high mag readings of late, 1560!!, I even had water tested at Taunton Aquarium Center and they got a reading of 1560 as well. I was also using TMC Pro reef salt. T.A.C. advised me to mix the rest of the salt very thoroughly, which I did, I then made up a liter of water to 35ppt and tested it again and still got a reading of 1560. I decided not to use the rest of the bucket and have now bought a different brand, which is a shame as I liked TMC Pro Reef, but, as it is so expensive I did not want to risk having to throw any more away.
I did e-mail TMC last week about it and got a reply which said that my reading did seem very high and asked me by what method I read the salinity, in my reply I told them I used the latest version of the D D refractometer, I am a little disappointed that I have not heard from them since.
Maybe you could also try mixing the rest of your salt very thoroughly and see if it makes any difference.

Regards Pam

#3 Pat101

Pat101

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

Thanks for that interesting.

I'll give it a go re mixing the salt better.

What baffles me a bit is the water straight out the RO unit is so high but when mixed with the salt it comes down a fair bit. Have you had any adverse affect with high mag levels?

Cheers.

Pat.

#4 Indulge

Indulge

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

I cannot be sure it was anything to do with the high mag levels, but I have lost three LPS corals recently, all were very healthy and feeding well but all of a sudden their flesh started to lift away from the bone and within a couple of days the bones were bare. I lost a fairly large hammer which I had had for almost a year, a Tracy and a beautiful favia which was growing and showing no signs at all that anything was wrong. As I said, I do not know that it was the high mag that did it, nor do I know of any other specific thing would do this kind of damage.

Regards Pam

#5 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:51 AM

High magnesium levels in the range of 1500 to 1600 plus are often used to combat briopsis algae. I've done so myself with no adverse reactions from the corals.

As for high levels in your salt, I would expect that and it should cause no problem since it will soon get dissolved out when you add it into the larger volume of water in your tank. Tho if your tank levels continued to increase week on week that might require further investigation.

As for magnesium in your plain ro, that strikes me as there is something wrong with your test kit, the way you are testing/cleaning the test vials or something up with the ro unit. If it is producing water at zero tds then that is all you have, just plain h2o, dissolved minerals would show up as a non-zero tds reading.

What are your alk and calcium readings as they can all relate.

Are you adding any buffers? Age of test kits?

Chris
Posted Image

#6 Pat101

Pat101

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the response, Mag this morning is 1410 so it does drop. Calc at 410 I'll tweek that back up to 425 and KH is 9.3.

I am dosing Calcium chloride Flake (food grade) and sodium carbonate lite with Tropic marin pro reef special all on separate pumps. Also dosing Pro- coral mineral and Coralline Aminowacids as per instructions.

I must admit I don't find the salifert mag test kit the easiest to use, they are all well in date and used regularly so every couple of months they are replaced. My TDS reading Is 3.

Thinking about It now I'll do a 5% water change twice a week instead of one 10% weekly at least that wont be so much of a shock to the system.

Cheers.

Pat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users