8 replies to this topic

#1 Keasty

Keasty

Diatom

• New Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hi All,

Im looking for some of your thoughts on the first couple of fish to introduce to my tank, i have read a few conflicting things. Firstly adding Damsel's first as they are very hardy and can handle varied water conditions but are very aggressive, And obviously in time when it comes to adding other species can have problems. I have had my tank up and runnning about a week now, and dont plan to add any fish for another month,
What would you guy's recommend?

Thanks Chris

#2 daza

daza

Clown Fish

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

Im totally sold on my talbot damsels great little fish if you can get them mine arnt aggesive at all and always spawning :good:

#3 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:17 PM

You have a few options.

You could use damsels but they can be aggressive once they have settled in. Yellow tailed damsels I have always found to be pretty peaceful.
You could also use fish such as triggers and lionfish if you are planning a more predator type tank.
You could use fish such as black molly's which will happily live in full strenght salt water but you'll have to mix the water slowly.

Of course you dont need to cycle a tank with fish. If you use Live rock then just wait a bit of time and it will cycle itself pretty quickly. Feeding the tank will speed the process up.

Nothing happens quickly in this game so my advice is to wait and let the tank cycle naturally then you can add the fish you really want.

HTH

#4 Keasty

Keasty

Diatom

• New Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Its gonna be at least a month before i put any fish in because im away for 2 weeks soon, i have live rock in at the moment so im hoping that will help. Would you recommend any water changes in the next month with only the live rock in the tank? I took a few reading from the tank today Ammonia 0.3
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0.25
Ph 8.0
Temp sits at 25.8-26.2

Thanks Chris

#5 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

Hi welcome to IR,any details on the filtration and lighting and skimming?,leaving the tank stock free until you get back is a good idea and will allow for more time for system to settle,i would leave water changes for a while and keep testing,could add some bacteria,Brightwells bac 7 is good as are many others,add a little coral food too,this will boost bacterial numbers as the system matures ready for your fist fish.

#6 Keasty

Keasty

Diatom

• New Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Its a Trigon 190, Have put hagan glo T5 lighting in the lid with 1 10000k and a marine blue bulb,Got a external canister filter, At the moment im not running a protein skimmer that will come when i can afford it, Any suggestion on any hang on skimmers that wont bust the bank?

#7 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:49 PM

Its a Trigon 190, Have put hagan glo T5 lighting in the lid with 1 10000k and a marine blue bulb,Got a external canister filter, At the moment im not running a protein skimmer that will come when i can afford it, Any suggestion on any hang on skimmers that wont bust the bank?

The square Deltec hang on skimmer is quite good,cant remember model number right now lol,the Deltec also has the pump in the skimmer body which keeps the tank free of more pumps.

#8 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Think it will prob be wise to wait until you come back from your holiday.

Then get a lion fish :)

#9 Keasty

Keasty

Diatom

• New Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

Think it will prob be wise to wait until you come back from your holiday.

Then get a lion fish :)

Dunno about a lion fish straight away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users