• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WET FISH

WET FISH

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:56 AM

It's been two years since i've started keeping marines & this new tank, I hope will build on what i've learnt from reef park. I hope to take this tank on another level from my bikini bottom & I have most of the equipment I want, so I feel I have a head start.

I must apologise for the delay for starting this thread, it's been a mission to get it ready for the tank.

Building the stand was very hard for me because of my hand, two weeks non stop payed off! i'm very happy with the result.

I did half lap joints to make it a very strong stand, glued & screwed! It was easy once you get a routine started & this was a time consuming job, well worth it I think.

All the wood was from B&Q Total cost from screws to final paint was 120, the main costs were the 4x2x2 sheets which were 25 each.

I brought a new work bench & the best bit is you can wind it up with one hand, sounds nothing but when you have one hand it's the best thing ever! I also brought a sander to get a better finnish & save time, well worth the money on a job like this.

Cut to size & half laps ready to glue.
Posted Image

After two days of solid cutting, it was followed by two days gluing & screwing. Chloe stepped in to finnish off as it was getting a bit much for me, she's done a lovely job filling every screw hole.
Posted Image

This was the hardest part screwing & gluing all the frames together, but Chloe came to the rescue again. Now it's starting to look like a stand & my confidence was boosted.
Posted Image

After painting it three times in white gloss in bright sunshine, I have burnt retinas well it feels like it, looking at my halide is better. :D:D Posted Image
While the top was off I wired up the 18 plugs, so many? future proof it while it's easy!:P:PPosted Image

Each plug is wired up like this, to a 13amp plug, my cousins an electrician & said it would be fine set out like this, most of my plugs are for 12v cheap LED'S PC fans etc.
Posted Image
All plugs fitted & looking nice, it was much better to wire up now than hide under the tank doing it all later.
Posted Image
Posted Image

A true worker & very very handy with the drill once she had a go with me holding it.
Posted Image
Tops on glued, screwed & filled.
Posted Image

Finally finished & just two hours before we were ready to set off for the Royal wedding on the 29th April. The tank arrives 30th, so it was very close. I think most people could do this job in under a week, slowly slowly & you get a result your looking for.

Posted Image
Posted Image
A real mans tank is one with halides!

#2 WET FISH

WET FISH

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

it's been driving me crazy not having a lovely tank in the front room, i'm lost without it.:(
Posted Image

But it's arrived, I went for a custom built 4x2x2 black background & centre weir with a 3 foot sump & built in RO chamber.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Under tank plumbing was fun, nothing hard which was satisfying & the glue sets in seconds which was mad:p:p

Looking very tidy under the tank, i've never had a tank layout so clean. :cloud9:Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 WET FISH

WET FISH

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

These shots were 30 minuets after the last fish & 5 mins after the light was on. I feel like I have three tanks, bloody big one in the middle of two two footers.

Posted ImageIt's hard to see but I have loads of tunnels, places to hide, over hangs & SWIMMING SPACE!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Halides rule!! but not with wood stopping the air movement, my evaporation on the old tank was stupid!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Everything on the sand will get the milliput treatment when more packs arrive. This tank really feels 3D compared to the last one, the two foot width really makes a difference.

#4 Keasty

Keasty

Diatom

• New Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Looking good, Done a great job of the cabinet :)

#5 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Looks really good! thanks for posting it up here. Please keep it updated. Extra width is great. Mine is 70 cm wide and I love it.

#6 WET FISH

WET FISH

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

Looking good, Done a great job of the cabinet :)

It's not finnished yet, I will make some pannels that connect with magnets for easy access. It's taken me a long time.

Looks really good! thanks for posting it up here. Please keep it updated. Extra width is great. Mine is 70 cm wide and I love it.

Don't worry I plan to keep this one updated. My last tank was an Aqua medic percula 90 with limited depth, so this tank has given me so much more display space.

#7 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,532 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:53 PM

Great work there Alec, I didn't know you were planning a new build, I've been a bit busy lately so not been on reefpark for while.
Will follow this one with interest.

#8 WET FISH

WET FISH

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

Great work there Alec, I didn't know you were planning a new build, I've been a bit busy lately so not been on reefpark for while.
Will follow this one with interest.

Hi Dave, it was unplanned the last tank leaked & I had to move the tank for a new carpet etc so upgraded.

#9 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,322 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi m8,great looking tank build,like the rock work,makes the corals stand out and gives the fish loads of swimming space,i also think flow gets a better chance to get around a tank when its rock work is a little more open rather than a wall of rock,keep the updates coming, thanks for sharing.

#10 WET FISH

WET FISH

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

Hi Lindsay, I'm really pleased with the aquascaping, I was after a big open section for swimming as I plan to have a few SPS which I hope will grow! For this reason I treated myself to a Lumenbright reflector, this is how i've mounted it.

Mounting my new reflector & I really wanted to do it justice, so I brought a TV wall mount from Asda just 5 because some of it was missing but not the parts I needed.:D:D
Posted Image

Bolts & some steel tubing to finnish the project. Posted Image

I wanted something removable for maintenance etc (kept hitting my head on the last one) which is why I got this TV mount.

The wall fixings not much & tidy looking.
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is what I came up with for the reflector mount, not much but it works.
Posted Image
My last reflector was off the celling it looked good but it was not clean looking, which is what i'm after for the Black Pearl. To get everything in place i've had to mount the bulb housing off centre which works great.
Posted Image

I'm using my twin arc lamp again in this reflector, one's 12k the others 20k
Posted Image
I have my timer turn off for a short time to switch between both colours. Notice a sheet of glass protecting any splashes, it's amazing how dirty my old reflector got & must have resulted in a dimmer reflector.
Posted Image

Up & running, just the look I was after.
Posted Image

I will paint it up in black next week.
Posted Image
Mounted on the wall the other holes will be used to mount my NIGHT TIME LED'S:D:D:Moony:

I've noticed my tank temp is already lower by 1 compared with my lumenarc which cooked everything.
Posted Image

Just to compare the size & shape of the lumenarc & lumenbright a full review will be posted up soon.
Posted Image

I've had some big problems!!

My ballast died & so I had no lighting for three days, my Lumatek ballast arrived lovely bit of kit! turned it on BANG WHITE SPOT! all over my powder blue, this is my first illness in two years of keeping marines thats effected more than one fish. I'm treating it with NTlabs anti-bacterial (states white spot effective on back) which TAC have recommended & it's reef safe, I think it's a dye treatment.

#11 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 584 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

You've done a very good job with the stand and scaping. Would you put some pics up of a year on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users