• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Forrow

Gary Forrow

New Members

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaps,

After hosting my toadstool for some considerable time, my wild clowns are now taking to hosting in my hammer, and it isn't liking it much. Not sure why, but at the moment, my toadstool is not extending as much as it was, so perhaps thats why the clowns have moved on.

I had an RBTA in my river reef, but it expanded to about 12" across, so moved it on. Looking for a smaller nem to go in my current tank, so was looking at either a Malu or a Retirri, any suggestions??

I am hoping that even if it opens up to 6" or so, that the tank can cope with that, but fully expecting to have to move things if it decides to go walkies.

Not sure where to go and look for one either to be honest, my lfs has now gone, and they used to get some really nice ones in. Don't ever remember seeing nems in the garden centre fish sections, guess I'll have to go special order somewhere.

I also appreciate how much of an undertaking this is, just hoping I can find a fairly small one to start. So any suggestions?? as in small nems. Oh and I also know there are no guarantees on the clowns moving to the nem either, but you've got to try, before my 8 heads of hammer becomes none

Gary

#2 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaps,

After hosting my toadstool for some considerable time, my wild clowns are now taking to hosting in my hammer, and it isn't liking it much. Not sure why, but at the moment, my toadstool is not extending as much as it was, so perhaps thats why the clowns have moved on.

I had an RBTA in my river reef, but it expanded to about 12" across, so moved it on. Looking for a smaller nem to go in my current tank, so was looking at either a Malu or a Retirri, any suggestions??

I am hoping that even if it opens up to 6" or so, that the tank can cope with that, but fully expecting to have to move things if it decides to go walkies.

Not sure where to go and look for one either to be honest, my lfs has now gone, and they used to get some really nice ones in. Don't ever remember seeing nems in the garden centre fish sections, guess I'll have to go special order somewhere.

I also appreciate how much of an undertaking this is, just hoping I can find a fairly small one to start. So any suggestions?? as in small nems. Oh and I also know there are no guarantees on the clowns moving to the nem either, but you've got to try, before my 8 heads of hammer becomes none

Gary

Hi gary

I have heard before that the clowns can get to keen on a nem, and they actually can damage them by rubbing against them too hard or swimmimg into them at a force.

Dave

#3 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hi Gary

I would recommend leaving both of those nems well alone. Malu and ritteri have all of about zero survival rate and should be banned. Most if not all that come into an LFS are, white and bleached.

Magnifica anemones should be left to experts with very stable tanks and with 400w halide lighting.

Carpet anemone are very agressive eating anything that comes close to them.

All nems are very large animals and have a natural life span of thousands of years. In captivity most are dead within a year.

BTA's are the easiest nem to keep but as you have found out can grow very large.

Wild clowns will naturally want to host and will host nems and corals. If you move your hammer they will host something else. If you want clowns but dont want them hosting, try using captive bred clowns as they seem to not host or at least take a long time to. It might be worth swapping your clowns for captive bred specimens.

Hope that helps.

#4 Gary Forrow

Gary Forrow

New Members

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info.

I will not, ever ever, be having tank bred clowns again. I had them in my first tank, and they were the most violent fish I have ever seen. Not only did they attack me, but also any new addition was pulverised within a matter of minutes, literally.

I swapped them for some wild ones, nice and calm. My LFS at the time put it down to some issue with the fish, as they both grew at the same rate, and were both the same size, as in they hadn't changed to male/female, even after 18 months. Why that was I can only guess, maybe something to do with genetics and tank breeding.

Once bitten, twice shy is the phrase I guess.

Cheers.

Hi Gary

I would recommend leaving both of those nems well alone. Malu and ritteri have all of about zero survival rate and should be banned. Most if not all that come into an LFS are, white and bleached.

Magnifica anemones should be left to experts with very stable tanks and with 400w halide lighting.

Carpet anemone are very agressive eating anything that comes close to them.

All nems are very large animals and have a natural life span of thousands of years. In captivity most are dead within a year.

BTA's are the easiest nem to keep but as you have found out can grow very large.

Wild clowns will naturally want to host and will host nems and corals. If you move your hammer they will host something else. If you want clowns but dont want them hosting, try using captive bred clowns as they seem to not host or at least take a long time to. It might be worth swapping your clowns for captive bred specimens.

Hope that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users