#1 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hi

My Pink Hystix isn't particularly pink! So i thought it could be that;

a) He's not happy? - he grows and polyps like mad so I dont think so.
B) Maybe he just not a very pink coral?
c) The ones I see on the net are photoshopped?

Any ideas??

Cheers

#2 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,537 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Any Pics?

Mine is very pink, with white tips on the new growth, I do have it towards the centre of the tank where it gets most light. (400w reeflux)

#3 Ken

Ken

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

Mine is also very pink, under 250 reeflux, i do have the coral close to the surface, however a frag which "oops, came off in me hand" when i put it in, is doing just as well lower in the tank, and is the same colour.

Ken

#4 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:23 PM

Here it is

Posted Image

#5 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

Linds, Is this a pink hystix?? Why isn't it pink??
Cheers

#6 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

BUMP

#7 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:07 AM

there are certain variations of this coral some do go brighter pink than other's the growth looks fine and coral looks healthy , have a checked the phosphates with a decent test kit either hanna or d&d you may have a higher phosphate reading than u think

#8 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,460 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

As Dilan has said above,forums are flooded with people struggling to get this coral to go pink and stay pink,it seems that a lot of factors come into play,ie colour spectrum of lighting,flow and as said above phos and nitrate levels,in truth the coral comes in many colour forms from green to purple,the one you have will go pink but this may mean dropping nutrient levels to a level that may upset the rest of the corals in the tank,you also could try putting the coral higher,they also tend to do better colour wise and shape wise when put in good flow.

#9 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Thanks guys.
The coral has changed a lot since that pic. It went through RTN and so I had to frag it so I now have lots of frags that combined have probably grown to the same size as the original colony. The frags are in different parts of the tank. The best bit is getting quite pink now and has an orange plating monti growing right next to it and they look great. It is near the top of the tank with quite a bit of flow. My lights are 10k 250s. I'm not sure if it is the pinkest because of where it is or because it's the piece that hasn't been moved for ages.
I dont use phosphate removers, just algae in the sump. On Salfert tests it is undetectable. The photo above shows a lot of algae but most of that has gone now. Next test kit I get I'll try a DD test kit.
I hope I'll it to go a nice bright pink, maybe with time it will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users