• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

In between Staving off bankruptcy and taking the missus shopping etc, Ive managed to find the time to slowly put some new lights together for my ailing SPS Tank, which is beginning to look like a FOWLR tank (another days story).

I decided that I really ought to be practising what I preach, so I thought I would make up a pair of our wonderful Mini Pendants. I could have gone for large ones, but wanted to raise my lights higher, so went for mini's.

Aaaaaaaaanyway, before I go any further, here's a picture of work in progress. All done but for suspension wires, which i'm waiting to arrive in the post. (teddy looks puzzled)

Posted Image

As you can see, ive made a simple steel frame from which to suspend the lights. This gives better stability than hanging each individual light, and allows me to slide each light along the rails to distribute the light in the way I want it.

But wait.....whats that you see popping its head just above the rails in the centre of each light?

Posted Image

Its a heatsink!!, and its there for a purpose. Housed beneath it and poking through a glass covered hole in the centre of each reflector, is a 10w Royal Blue LED matrix. You can see it in the inside of the reflector in this picture, just left and centre of the arc tube.

Posted Image

The idea is to dispense with the need for Actinics for night viewing, but not to be so bright as to prevent polyp extension.

This is what its like when its on. you can see the left unit with the blue on.

Posted Image

and from inside, it looks like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have already done some previous tests to make sure I have got the lighting right, so I know how it will work once its installed. I cannot run the blues with the Halides, as they would get too hot, but I could overcome this with fans on the heatsinks, but as I'm not really interesting in doing that, ive not bothered.

Hopefully, it will all be finished and mounted at some point next week.

Thanks for looking and scuse the greasy iphone pics.
Tony.
Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

#2 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,555 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Looking Good Tony, I like the look of those reflectors.
When I saw those heatsinks I was expecting plasmas LOL

#3 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

Very impressive! The mini is lost on me - they look huge!

#4 ANDYG

ANDYG

Tang

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

The lights look impressive, obviously you've got plenty time on your hands to put these together, - no wonder the grass is looking rather long!!!!!!!!:sign_lol:

It was nice to see the tanks at the weekend, I like the cube.

#5 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

Looks good Tony,thats some led,seen a few over the years but most have been very narrow when it comes to light spread,the angle of light from that one is impressive,let us know how you get on with it over the tank m8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users