• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 madmick

madmick

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Keeping sps and lps is rowaphos the best for phosphate removal when I have flow slow clumps and if too fast doesn't work. Keep loosing parts if corals when I replace media. 400ltank 100lsump 2x250halide 2 actinic blue, uv steralizer ,skimmer, canister with rowaphos ,deltec canister with bio pearls and pellets . Thanks

#2 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

If you run bio pearls you dont need rowaphos. Your corals die each time you replace rowaphos because you are removing too much phosphates to too low levels.

#3 madmick

madmick

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:06 AM

Thanks , so should I have some phosphate left i'n tank. And will the bio pearls def deal with phosphate on their own. Do u run bio pearls ???

#4 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:03 PM

All life requires some phosphate. This would still reads as undetectable on test kits but will be enough there to keep corals happy. Bio pearls will reduce your phosphate but may need a little phosphate remover occasionally to mop the extra up. I dont use bio pearls - I use algae and it keeps all nitrates and phosphates at untraceable levels.

If you have any issues with bio pearls go to the bio pearl section on the forum.

Cheers

#5 madmick

madmick

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

Thanks

#6 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,510 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Hi,welcome to IR,i know what you mean by the phosphate media clumping which makes the water in the reactor track through a small area of the media,what i do to get over this is to increase the flow through the reactor for about 10 to 15 mins once a day,this loosens up the media,then drop back to a slower flow.As said above it can cause problems when taking phosphate levels too low,also if you are using a phosphate reactor and adding too much fresh media for the systems size you may get a ph drop which can also cause problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users