28 replies to this topic

#1 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hello,
Anyone run one of these ca reactors that can chat me through the odd question?
Cheers

#2 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,537 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hello,
Anyone run one of these ca reactors that can chat me through the odd question?
Cheers

Yep I use one, they are a bit fiddley to set up but once done it is a great reactor.

there's also a couple of mods worth doing, one is the diffuser nut, unscrew the diffuser and then silicone the black nut to the base of the reactor in the media chamber side, when the silicone is set screw the diffuser back into the nut. This prevents gas build up in the bottom chamber.
The other mod your reactor may already have this, if you look at the top gas recirc chamber, the outlet tube in the centre should have a round disk on the bottom to stop any gas going out with the effluent, if it hasn't just silicone a circle of plastic which is 5mm bigger all round than the outlet tube.

Hope you understand lol

#3 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

If you need any help feel free to ask away,Dave has covered some good points above esp the round disk which i think was not on the early models and helps to keep co2 in the reactor instead of leaving through the outlet.

#4 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

This is a good thread on this reactor with many points covered.

http://www.reefcentr...ad.php?t=397189

#5 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Thanks lindsay for the pm and link.

I've bought a peri pump in the end. I searched the net for a good 24/7 pump. There is only one that D&D do put is pretty pricey. Other than that there are medical grade pumps but they are rediculously expensive. I finally contacted a UK pump manufacturer who have just made a peri pump for the aquarium trade with reactors in mind. They do not yet have anyone selling them in the trade as they are worried about the cost to the public. So i've got one from them and at trade price. Judgeing from the cost of D&Ds unit its a significant discount! And it's meant to be better than D&Ds. So I will test it and put a write up. I told the manufacturer that I would tell the reefing community if they are a good pump as they will sell trade prices to the public on this particular pump. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers

#6 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:35 AM

Thanks lindsay for the pm and link.

I've bought a peri pump in the end. I searched the net for a good 24/7 pump. There is only one that D&D do put is pretty pricey. Other than that there are medical grade pumps but they are rediculously expensive. I finally contacted a UK pump manufacturer who have just made a peri pump for the aquarium trade with reactors in mind. They do not yet have anyone selling them in the trade as they are worried about the cost to the public. So i've got one from them and at trade price. Judgeing from the cost of D&Ds unit its a significant discount! And it's meant to be better than D&Ds. So I will test it and put a write up. I told the manufacturer that I would tell the reefing community if they are a good pump as they will sell trade prices to the public on this particular pump. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers

Look forward to your write up.

#7 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Does anyone have the graph flow/bubble rate for this reactor that they could send me?

thanks

#8 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,537 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

Here you go

Attached Files

#9 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

Thats great thanks. Can't say I'm any the wiser though!

#10 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

Thats great thanks. Can't say I'm any the wiser though!

Hi m8,what are you unsure about?.

#11 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:31 PM

One thing i have found with the above chart is that at the stated co2 to ml per minute i have not quite got the same dkh up lift they state unless i increased the co2,i think this is down to the media they used,probably graded size and a lot more porous than the larger harder media i use.

#12 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

Well I seem to be getting a good increase in KH but not much Ca. Its gone up 2.4 KH and only 15 Ca. Do you know how to balance this out?
Cheers

#13 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:54 AM

Hi,what are the readings coming out of the reactor ie ml,dkh and the co2 rate? and the tank levels of calcium and dkh before reactor put on and now that its on the tank?.

#14 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,537 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

I have found that you have to manually buffer the tank to the correct Ca and Kh and then keep checking Kh each day until the reactor keeps up with what the tank is using.
Ca and Kh should then stay stable, but obviously keep checking as the corals grow so will the demand :)

#15 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

I run our reactor so it falls just short and have to buffer a small amount of Bio cal or pro coral mineral and some times kh buffer,in my case i have to replace water taken out for corals sold so i aim a little short with the reactor.The thing is that when doing a weekly water change its likely there will be a need to buffer the tank as in a lot of cases the tanks levels of calcium and dkh will be higher than that of the salt in the bucket.
I also like to add minerals and prefer to be a little short with the reactor rather than over run,it also means that i have to keep up with the dkh and calcium tests and not start to leave them out as many have done in the past only to find that instead of a reactor keeping things bang on its over run then under run and their sps are very unhappy.
As said by Dave you need to buffer the levels to where you want them before bringing the reactor on-line to hold the levels,if you try to raise levels with the reactor you may over run.

#16 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Thanks guys.

I'll buffer the tank to get the parameters then turn the reactor on. As it is such a powerful reactor I was going to let it raise my levels but maybe not the best option. I think I'm only going to be needing it on for an hour or so a day with my current stock. Very pleased with it.

#17 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi Guys,

Could someone send me a copy of the instructions for the JS1?

Cheers

#18 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hi Guys,

Could someone send me a copy of the instructions for the JS1?

Cheers

I have the instructions here somewhere,are you having problems?,if so post up what you need to know and ile answer from what is written in the instructions.

#19 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

I have the instructions here somewhere,are you having problems?,if so post up what you need to know and ile answer from what is written in the instructions.

No I've sold it and the new owner wants the instructions.

#20 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 619 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users