8 replies to this topic

#1 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

hi all
is it a good idea to feed all the output from my gyractor directly into my skimmer(apf600)?
and supliment any missing flow by tee ing in a small pump as well?
cheers john.

#2 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,607 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

hi all
is it a good idea to feed all the output from my gyractor directly into my skimmer(apf600)?
and supliment any missing flow by tee ing in a small pump as well?
cheers john.

The pipe that leaves the gyractor is normally fed straight to the skimmer feed pump,not sure why you would need an extra pump?.The best way is to put a tee on the skimmer pump on the inlet side so as not to put any vacuum on the gyractor from the skimmer pump because its likely to be pumping more water than that of gyractor.
Give me a bell if unsure m8.

#3 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

i have the outlet pipe from the gyractor attached to the front of my existing skimmer pump feeding the v1000 skimmer that has gone faulty, i was wondering if it is better or any advantage to feed the entire out put into the skimmer (apf600) to save the added pump reqd to feed it.as it has a seperate pump to create air mix.
the pump im useing now to feed the skimmer is a 3000lph and the deltec only needs 800lph through it so its a tad too big. or is the recomended 800lph too slow?
hope this makes sense
john

#4 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,607 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:12 PM

Not sure on the apf rated skimmer pump sizes but i would think it would be better to have both pearl reactor and skimmer on their own pumps so they can both work to there best.

#5 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

Got to say I don't think it's completely essential to have a solid connection between the skimmer and gyractor, on my system the outlet from the gyractor is positioned close and up wind of the skimmer inlet. This way it ends up catching most of the smelly gue :)

#6 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

Myself i would have it so the skimmer sees all of the Gyractors effluent ,Maybe this is why you have the brown algae in your system Rich,only a thought but you never know

Jas
untitled.jpg

#7 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

Myself i would have it so the skimmer sees all of the Gyractors effluent ,Maybe this is why you have the brown algae in your system Rich,only a thought but you never know

Jas

AHHA!!!!! BROWN ALGEA im getting that too and have put it down to the poorly skimmer, so you may have a point jas,i have seen the same growing inside the clear pipe leaving the gyractor(which is in the lit sump) i was going to cover the pipe to sheild it from light.
who else has noticed this???
john

#8 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,607 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

The way i understand the process is that the bacteria that are grown on the pearl will reach a certain thickness then get knocked off by the fluidizing in the reactor which is then skimmed out by the skimmer.The bacteria that make it by the skimmer and up into the tank will most likely die away from the pearls and in doing so create a second nutrient level and possible food for the likes of algae.
There are many reactors on the market that fluidize but many of them need large pumps to do so which unless fed to a high flow large skimmer means a lot of the bacteria get through and over time become a problem,have read a few posts where people describe bacterial mulm in their sumps and tanks and give up on the process.
This is the way i run the pearls on the fish system and even though i put all the reactor effluent through the skimmer i suspect a percentage still get through but not to the degree that stops the idea being affective.
After reading many posts on different forums i think that success with bio medias like pearls is not just down to having the best reactor fluidizing them at the least flow possible but also the abillity to remove as much of the bacteria leaving the reactor as possible.
This is only my take on the idea and the way i use pearls so if the above is incorrect its over to Tony and ime all ears lol.

#9 karnivor

karnivor

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

The way i understand the process is that the bacteria that are grown on the pearl will reach a certain thickness then get knocked off by the fluidizing in the reactor which is then skimmed out by the skimmer.The bacteria that make it by the skimmer and up into the tank will most likely die away from the pearls and in doing so create a second nutrient level and possible food for the likes of algae.
There are many reactors on the market that fluidize but many of them need large pumps to do so which unless fed to a high flow large skimmer means a lot of the bacteria get through and over time become a problem,have read a few posts where people describe bacterial mulm in their sumps and tanks and give up on the process.
This is the way i run the pearls on the fish system and even though i put all the reactor effluent through the skimmer i suspect a percentage still get through but not to the degree that stops the idea being affective.
After reading many posts on different forums i think that success with bio medias like pearls is not just down to having the best reactor fluidizing them at the least flow possible but also the abillity to remove as much of the bacteria leaving the reactor as possible.
This is only my take on the idea and the way i use pearls so if the above is incorrect its over to Tony and ime all ears lol.

As above really.
All I will add is that the closer you can get the reactor output to the skimmer input, the better. Ideally, you should use a tee piece on the skimmer input where it is feasable and allow the water going to the skimmer to pass straight through the tee piece and the reactor output can be fed into the third arm of the tee. This wont restrict the skimmer but allow all of the reactor effluent to pass into the skimmer. Even so, a very small portion of the bacteria will pass straight through the skimmer, as they are not 100% efficient, but not enough to cause any problems whatsoever.

Tony.

Attached Files

Why do left-over nuts never match left-over bolts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users