pump capacity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_murad_*

Guest_murad_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hi

My reef tank dimensions (79" x 24" x 29") and I have two wavemakers (ocean prop 15000). And I want to buy new return pump suitable to my tank but I do not know how many gallons pump should push to the tank per hour?

Some people say that we should consider wavemakers power when we choose pump's capacity!
Note: the wavemakers' capacity between (15000 5000 l/h)

#2 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hi any chance of some more details on the system,size of sump,skimmer,what filtration and so on?.

#3 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

I think the general rule of thumb is at least 8 times the tank volume through the sump every hour

#4 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:30 AM

so your tank is 844 litres x 8 =6752 lph , then youv'e got the sump but u also have to take the rock into account i'd go for something around 8000lph

#5 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

As per Dylan really, you want to be looking at at least 6500lph after taking into account head losses, this pretty much discounts the commonly used Ocean Runner 6500, whilst you could use it, then in all honesty it will be undersized. Look at the Sicce range of pumps which are pretty good imo, alternatively some of the laguna pond pumps may be an option. Oh, and definitely do not factor in-tank powerheads/closed loops into the calculations, they have no bearing on tank->sump turnover.

Chris
Posted Image

#6 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

The other thing to keep in mind is the size of sump,8 times turnover is ideal but if the sump is small it could struggle with the speed the water will be entering at one end and leaving at the other,then there's the whole and pipe sizes that are on the display tank which will also need to be able to keep up with whats being pumped into the tank from the sump.
When i think of turnover numbers i go for min 6 to 7 but sky's the limit if filtration can handle it lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users