7 replies to this topic

#1 debandpat

debandpat

New Members

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

hey guys
i have a 4 and a half foot by 2 foot tank and currently have a lovely scopas tang, 3 small clowns and 2 cleaner shrimp, now i know its not good to have more than one tang espcially when one is a scopas BUT ive seen the cutest baby powder blue tang and im wondering if its possable to have him? im thinking maybe the mirror trick might work with the scopas and as the powder blue is a baby maybe the scopas wont see him as a threat in the first place, as im a complete novice i thought i better check with you guys, im guessing the answer will be a big fat NO but i want to ask just incase, thanks

#2 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hello,

Your tank is too small for a Powder Blue and will almost certainly get white spot taking other fish with it. The powder blue has a very low success rate in captivity. Mostly because they are kept in too small tanks which stresses them.

Mixing tangs is certainly possible if the tank is big enough. There is usually some aggression at first but soon dies down.

Powder Blues can be pretty aggressive towards other new fish and so good to add them last. The problem is they tend to get white spot and it spreads through the tank. It really is a fish to be left until you have experiance.

HTH

#3 debandpat

debandpat

New Members

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

ok, thanks for that, at least i know for sure now and will stop looking at the cute babies lol

#4 debandpat

debandpat

New Members

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

i just had another look and it wasnt a powder blue is was a pacific blue, apparantly they need 100 gallons and i have around 120 but if it grows to 12 inches i wouldnt want it in my tank as i personally dont think its enough room and i would feel bad for it every time i watched it swimming round, cant believe im crossing fish off my wish list before i even take it to jasons!

#5 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

Hi,the powder blue is a no for the reasons given above,they like lots of room with high flow and high oxygen levels.The pacific blue can also be tricky and many dont do well and suffer white spot.The scopas you have is not going to take well to the idea of another tang once he settles in and may well give you problems when adding another tang.

#6 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hi, i have 2 tangs in the same tank with no problems. the regal tang was in first followed by a yellow tang, had them both for a very long time and have no problems.
Personally i think its all trial and error, but thats just my opinion!!

#7 debandpat

debandpat

New Members

• New Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

quick update,i got a tomini tang and turned the lights down and used a mirror when i put him in, there was no fighting as the tomini went straight to the mirror and the scopas wouldnt go near it lol, had a few minor scuffles in the first day or so but for the last few months they have been great mates, always together swimming very close and they dont seem to like being apart much, im sure weve caught them playing hide and seek round the rocks once or twice too, would i be pushing my luck with a yellow tang?

#8 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

quick update,i got a tomini tang and turned the lights down and used a mirror when i put him in, there was no fighting as the tomini went straight to the mirror and the scopas wouldnt go near it lol, had a few minor scuffles in the first day or so but for the last few months they have been great mates, always together swimming very close and they dont seem to like being apart much, im sure weve caught them playing hide and seek round the rocks once or twice too, would i be pushing my luck with a yellow tang?

Its gone well so far but i think you may get a response from the Scopas with a Yellow Tang,as said above it is trial and error and the Scopas you have may have turned out to be a mellow one,the one we have attacks me when i put my hands in the tank lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users