• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

was just thinking about how much stuff we actually add to our tanks to keep them healthy and looking good and was thinking maybe it would be a good idea if everyone posted up what they use

mine first

system: 300L approx, coral,fish and liverock. 25 litre water change per week.
sump: live rock,sand bed, cryptic zone, bio balls, algaes,
equipment: TMC calcium reactor,TMC skimmer, 3 power heads, 250w lumenarc halide, T5 atinics
salt: Tropic Marin pro reef
additives: Tropic Marin bio calcium and magnesium, TM pro coral mineral, TM iodine, TM A- elements
foods: frozen mysis,frozen brine with sprinula, oceans blend coral vibrance, D+D paste/gel, aqualabs nutrition polyps and lps, TM reef snow restor coral tissue, new era marine flakes and new era marine pellets.

#2 Danny Tucker

Danny Tucker

Tang

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

guess its just me who adds things to my tank :P

linds, when are you guna post up what you put in to your sps tank :D :threatenlumber:

#3 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Pro-Coral mineral, 2 scoops once a week after a water change.
6 drops of Iodine, once a week after a water change.
Bio Calcium as required to maintain Ca levels around 400.
Epsom Salts as required to maintain Mg around 1200.

50L of fresh salty water EVERY week as a water change!

Also add CV one or two scoops daily until algae starts to grow then back off for a couple of days

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#4 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

Hi m8,water change approx 5% to 10%,Bio Actif once a week and a dose of Brightwells Back 7 once a week to condition the water.
The calcium reactor running at 160 ml a minute sorts the calcium and dkh levels until i need to replace water through water changes or coral sales in which case i have to add a kh buffer,Bio aquatec or Salifert and if needed Bio calcium.
I also add Pro coral mineral every other day and A and K elements on the days ime not adding the Pro coral mineral,i use these minerals for a week then drop them for a week to ten days which is when i add Iodine every other day at half stated dosage,i think iodine is in A or K so don't dose it at the same time.Once a month i add Potassium and Strontium,some times more if montys look a little pale or green acros look a little on the yellow side.
Feeding is 9 blocks of frozen a day for the fish and corals are fed every other day with a mix of Coral V and amino acids.

I think i should add that the above list varies a little from time to time depending on how i think the system looks and if i have all the minerals to hand.
The question many may be asking after reading the above list is do i have to add that lot to keep sps and the answer is no.
We have a 500 gallon sps system that is nearly always quite full so i keep minerals and food in mind.
If on a medium stocked system you do the 5% to 10% weekly water change you should get by but if you include things like pro Coral mineral,A and K and Iodine dosed once or twice a week you may well see better health and colour from your corals.
The same goes for feeding corals,many say feeding corals is not needed,to quote i don't feed my corals and shops tell you to just to sale you another product you don't need.This i believe is partly true if you have enough fish in the system to supply the corals with fish waste to a level that does not pollute the system,i also believe when using strong lighting the need to feed corals increases as the corals wish to grow faster increases.
Another fact i should add is over the past all to often a person has come in to buy a miracle mineral to improve the health of their inverts when all that was needed was to restore good balance first ie dkh,cal,mag,phos,nitrate and the correct sg levels before the need to add what many state as secondary or minor trace elements..

#5 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

500litre mixed reef(mostly hard corals) the system is moderately stocked , 3 x Tunze nanostream pumps a 45 and 2 x 25's all moded plus ehiem 3400litre return, 400w 12k MH, Bio Pearls(gyractor) + shark 2 skimmer and refugium.The Ca reactor holds the system pretty well, I also add the list below:
TMC iodine 2 drops twice a week
TMC strontium 3 level scoops once a week
Salifert hard and Salifert soft trace 20ml once a week
TMC reef actif one level spoon once a week
Salifert Kh buffer as needed, usually around 20-30ml

I test once a week although I've found that every time I reload the Ca reactor there is a period of rebalancing and I have to test more intensively.

#6 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

I have a calcium reactor. just under 10% water changes a week. Tropic Marin A and K daily except water change day. Feed the fish 3 frozen cubes and 2 new era flake feeds a day. I feed the LPS and sea anemones a whitebait a week. I feed the SPS but not sure it does much. 2x250 10k halides. Epsom salts for Magnesium.

#7 paulie

paulie

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:13 PM

Guys what does CV stand for please?

#8 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:16 PM

Coral vibrance. a coral food

#9 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

System: 200L, SPS/LPS/Softies, Fish and Liverock. 25 litre weekly water change
Sump: Live rock, 5" Aragamud DSB, Chaeto, Rhodophyta Sp., 3x20w E27 6500K Reflector
Equipment: GHL 3-Channel Doser, Deltec MCE300, Teco-TC10 Chiller/Heater/UV, Vortech MP10W ES, Tunze 6025, NJ3000 return, Arcadia 2x150w Halide w/Iwasaki 6500k Rx7s, Custom Actinic LED array
Salt: Kent Reef Mix
Additives: FM Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium BiCarb, Heavy Metal Complex, Iodine/Flourine, Strontium/Barium Complex, KZ Coral Vitalizer 2 drops/day, KZ Sponge Power 2 Drops/day, KZ Amino Acid Concentrate 1 drop every 2 days, FM UltraLife once a week, 0.3ml Vodka once a week, 100g Carbon weekly, 100ml Purigen fortnightly, Bio-Phos 80 as required
Foods: FM Ultra Health, FM Ultra Marine Base, FM Ultra Marine Base Color, FM Ultra Marine Base Energy, Frozen Krill (large blocks but approx 1 cube/day), Ocean Nutrition Green Marine Algae w/Garlic, Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes, Kent Garlic Xtreme, D-D SPS/LPS/Clam & Filter

Test every other day, current params are:

KH 8.9
Calc 420
Mag 1320
NH4 0.0
NO2 0.0
NO3 0.5
PO4 <0.01

Posted Image

#10 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:39 AM

System: 200L, SPS/LPS/Softies, Fish and Liverock. 25 litre weekly water change
Sump: Live rock, 5" Aragamud DSB, Chaeto, Rhodophyta Sp., 3x20w E27 6500K Reflector
Equipment: GHL 3-Channel Doser, Deltec MCE300, Teco-TC10 Chiller/Heater/UV, Vortech MP10W ES, Tunze 6025, NJ3000 return, Arcadia 2x150w Halide w/Iwasaki 6500k Rx7s, Custom Actinic LED array
Salt: Kent Reef Mix
Additives: FM Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium BiCarb, Heavy Metal Complex, Iodine/Flourine, Strontium/Barium Complex, KZ Coral Vitalizer 2 drops/day, KZ Sponge Power 2 Drops/day, KZ Amino Acid Concentrate 1 drop every 2 days, FM UltraLife once a week, 0.3ml Vodka once a week, 100g Carbon weekly, 100ml Purigen fortnightly, Bio-Phos 80 as required
Foods: FM Ultra Health, FM Ultra Marine Base, FM Ultra Marine Base Color, FM Ultra Marine Base Energy, Frozen Krill (large blocks but approx 1 cube/day), Ocean Nutrition Green Marine Algae w/Garlic, Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes, Kent Garlic Xtreme, D-D SPS/LPS/Clam & Filter

Test every other day, current params are:

KH 8.9
Calc 420
Mag 1320
NH4 0.0
NO2 0.0
NO3 0.5
PO4 <0.01

Thats an impressive list of food and minerals,its also good to see regular tests on a system,any chance of some pictures?.

#11 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

Thats an impressive list of food and minerals,its also good to see regular tests on a system,any chance of some pictures?.

Sorry Linds but my pics are absolute gash :(

These are the best I have.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

Cool,you have some great corals in there and all looking healthy,will you be leaving the acros on the bottom to grow?,have seen this done abroad with stags.

#13 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

Cool,you have some great corals in there and all looking healthy,will you be leaving the acros on the bottom to grow?,have seen this done abroad with stags.

Nah, I'm just always picking something new up; if there aren't frags on the sand, my missus knows that something's wrong :D

Posted Image

#14 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Nah, I'm just always picking something new up; if there aren't frags on the sand, my missus knows that something's wrong :D

Cool.

#15 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

Cool.

I picked up some Acro's last night from the break down of Fisher2007's tank; TOTM October at UR :drool3: I'll get some pics up when they've settled in, it's now really starting to take on that 'tank of twigs' look that I lust after!

Posted Image

#16 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Sounds good,look forward to the pics.

#17 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:09 AM

Sounds good,look forward to the pics.

There ya go Linds, pic taken with my phone seems to have come out better than the camera... I mounted them earlier today. They're in good health and have nice shape, though atm they are leaning toward the browner end of the spectrum, hence being left behind by the previous buyers. If I remember, I'll post an update in a few months time when they'll hopefully have a bit more colour :D. The colony centre front is the one I picked up from you guys, it looked brown as soon as I put it in the tank; perhaps your Reeflux's brought out the green as it definitely had a green hue in the shop. Fortunately it's since gotten purple tips, so there's hope for it yet. For me it's almost part of the fun... not knowing what you're going to end up with!

To a degree I know it'll always be an uphill struggle with a twin 150, but I've seen it done, and it will be done! Due to the 90cm tank length, bowed glass and injection moulded centre bracing, there's really nothing else out there (bar £500 LED's) that fits the bill; to my knowledge the Arcadia is the only twin halide available @ 88cm, given the choice I'd take a twin 250 all day long. To top it off I'm currently running 6500K's which as you know don't do a great deal for the colour :(. Unfortunately you just can't have it all it seems. I get great colour with 14k+ but the growth is nowhere near that of the 65's. When the tank's grown out I'll definitely be switching back to the higher Kelvins!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread OP, happy to move somewhere else if need be ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

Very nice corals,the colour looks ok in the picture but i have to agree that 6500k drowns out a lot of colour but god don't corals love it,it is possible the acro from us would have had a different colour to it under our 10ks but as you say it looks good in your tank with the purple tips m8.Is it possible to change your ballasts to 250w from the 150w but still keep the same unit?.
As a side note why not start up a tank thread,not many of us out there using 6500k lamps and it would be good to see how your tank grows out under them and the colour change you get when going to a higher kelvin later.

#19 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

Very nice corals,the colour looks ok in the picture but i have to agree that 6500k drowns out a lot of colour but god don't corals love it,it is possible the acro from us would have had a different colour to it under our 10ks but as you say it looks good in your tank with the purple tips m8.Is it possible to change your ballasts to 250w from the 150w but still keep the same unit?.
As a side note why not start up a tank thread,not many of us out there using 6500k lamps and it would be good to see how your tank grows out under them and the colour change you get when going to a higher kelvin later.

No worries, tank thread started under 'Vision 180 Mixed Reef'. Enjoy ;)

Posted Image

#20 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:31 AM

No worries, tank thread started under 'Vision 180 Mixed Reef'. Enjoy ;)

Cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users