• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Does the size of the copperband matter as to whether they eat aiptasia? I have just put one in however a friend suggested he is too small to eat them 3" ish. He believes the collection areas may be different so they have not learned the trade. I was wondering what other peoples experiences were?

#2 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,540 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

Does the size of the copperband matter as to whether they eat aiptasia? I have just put one in however a friend suggested he is too small to eat them 3" ish. He believes the collection areas may be different so they have not learned the trade. I was wondering what other peoples experiences were?

I am sure jason got me one a couple years back that was about 3" it soon cleared the aips, although they always seem to leave the really big ones which may need killing off with kalk paste

#3 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

Mine is a fair size. It cleared the tank in a week!

#4 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

he has started picking at the rock so hopefully he will get a taste for them and he is not too small

#5 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

The one we put in the sps frag tank was very small and got to work on the aipts a day or so after going in,sometimes they go straight for them but some take as long as a week to start eating them,to date have not had one that would not eat them.

#6 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

That's good to hear lindsay

#7 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

Its hard to imagine a fish eating aipts lol,the copperband in the 8ft sps tank likes them so much that if we have a rock with aipts on it and hold it in the tank he will come up and pick them off for us lol,very handy.
A good trick to get them going is to scrape one or two aipts off the glass then drop them in the tank in front of the copperband,they will often eat them as they drop in the tank.

#8 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Is he showing any interest in the Aipts now Pete?.

#9 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

no mate i think he might even be scared of them lol, he does peck at the rock though i tried dropping in some that were scrapped off the glass but he has not been interested and its difficult to make them fall in front of him due to the other fish

#10 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Hi m8,at first they often spend time eating other more tempting things that grow on the rocks then move onto the aipts,its possible hes also eating the very small aipts that are hard to see by eye.If this is the case as he grows a little and the number of small ones runs out he will move onto the bigger aipts with luck.

#11 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

Hopefully your right, he like lots of mysis now so maybe i will have to put him on a diet, i am sure it will take a couple of weeks to get him going. I treated some of the monster aips last night that were scaring him so hopefully he can deal with the little ones that pop up to replace them

#12 inselaffe

inselaffe

New Members

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Feed the Aips Mysis and he should try and pick them out of it, when doing so he should get a taste for Aips.

#13 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

That's a good call, I will try that. It's a funny little thing he loves everything including flake

#14 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

Thats a first. Wish mine would. Would love to cut back on frozen.

#15 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

Would love to cut back on frozen.

Tried that once and mine threatened me with (in a growling mafia-boss kind of voice) "Give me the mysis or the LPS get it" followed by (in a girly squeeky excited voice) "oooh look a little aiptasia - chomp -"

Chris
Posted Image

#16 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

Lol. When we getting an update on your system chris??

#17 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Lol. When we getting an update on your system chris??

Once I start putting corals back in. I ripped out all my sps bar one last month, they had simpy grown out and were choking the system up, tough decision but had to be done.

Chris
Posted Image

#18 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

Thats a first,copperband taking flake,good idea on putting food on the Aipts and may well get him started on them.

#19 Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Tang

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Just to update i now have one fat copperband and 3 aips left in the tank that i can see, i am sure they wont last long. He is a little machine now i should have had faith

#20 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:05 AM

Just to update i now have one fat copperband and 3 aips left in the tank that i can see, i am sure they wont last long. He is a little machine now i should have had faith

Sounds good,result,bet its good to see the back of the Aipts as they can be a pain when their numbers increase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users