• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:50 AM

Hi everyone, just a bit of curiosity really. I was wondering has anyone ever tried any other water than r.o or tap.
I have used sea water before with great success really, never caused me any problems.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used bottled water??

Also i have access to water from a bore hole, so i decided to test it. the tests were absolutely fine, better than tap water thats for sure.

The water is pumped from a bore hole, ran through a string filter and then through uv sterilisers. I dont think i would use it in my tank to be honest just incase, but was wondering what people have tried before???

#2 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 624 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

Hi everyone, just a bit of curiosity really. I was wondering has anyone ever tried any other water than r.o or tap.
I have used sea water before with great success really, never caused me any problems.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used bottled water??

Also i have access to water from a bore hole, so i decided to test it. the tests were absolutely fine, better than tap water thats for sure.

The water is pumped from a bore hole, ran through a string filter and then through uv sterilisers. I dont think i would use it in my tank to be honest just incase, but was wondering what people have tried before???

hi

read the back of bottled water its full of nitrates and nastys!

Ben

#3 Ben Bonell

Ben Bonell

Trigger Fish

• 624 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

I use RO, cant beat it, sea water you run the risk of polluting your tank and killing everything? is it worth the gamble?

#4 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,628 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

With Ben

Ro water all the way m8 ,,if you haven't an ro unit see if your local sells it as most of them do.

Remember to test there water to as i have read posts over the years where the shops don't always change there filters as they should

jas
untitled.jpg

#5 davomazey

davomazey

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

hi

read the back of bottled water its full of nitrates and nastys!

Ben

Yeah i checked the bottles and your right they do contain some 'nastys' lol. I dont use sea water so much now as i have a 300 litre tank and stand to lose a lot more. but used it on my 100 litre and always tested fine and had no problems.
I always get r.o. from a local l.f.s now.

#6 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

With Ben

Ro water all the way m8 ,,if you haven't an ro unit see if your local sells it as most of them do.

Remember to test there water to as i have read posts over the years where the shops don't always change there filters as they should

jas

Hi Jas

Thats actually a good point, its always easy to think its ok as its coming from a shop.

Dave

#7 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Can you use de-ionised water from dehumidifiers??

#8 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

Can you use de-ionised water from dehumidifiers??

Im not too sure on that one to be honest!!

#9 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

For me RO is the way to go,sea water works for many but will have much higher nutrient levels esp phosphate which is ok if you can bring these levels down or have a system that houses the kind of corals that don't mind the elevated levels and over time will feed on it.
The bore hole is a possibility but there is a lot that cant be tested when it comes to metals,as said above it is a good idea to do a tds test on RO water when you are not in control of when the units filters get changed,have had people bring in RO to be tested and found a reading of 20 and when suggested they change their filters got a reply of,i would but that's from a shop,oops..

#10 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

For me RO is the way to go,sea water works for many but will have much higher nutrient levels esp phosphate which is ok if you can bring these levels down or have a system that houses the kind of corals that don't mind the elevated levels and over time will feed on it.
The bore hole is a possibility but there is a lot that cant be tested when it comes to metals,as said above it is a good idea to do a tds test on RO water when you are not in control of when the units filters get changed,have had people bring in RO to be tested and found a reading of 20 and when suggested they change their filters got a reply of,i would but that's from a shop,oops..

Thanks for the tips. It was just curiosity really as the bore hole water tested better than tap, and its probably better than bottled water too. Dont think i would ever use it,just incase. Its not worth it at the price r.o water is.

#11 Keasty

Keasty

Diatom

• New Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the tips. It was just curiosity really as the bore hole water tested better than tap, and its probably better than bottled water too. Dont think i would ever use it,just incase. Its not worth it at the price r.o water is.

The only problem using R.O and living in Penzance is that i have to travel upto Carnon Downs to get it, i cant justify getting myself a R.O unit when all i have is a 100ltr tank and dont know of any1 local who i can get 25ltrs off every 2 weeks :(

#12 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

The only problem using R.O and living in Penzance is that i have to travel upto Carnon Downs to get it, i cant justify getting myself a R.O unit when all i have is a 100ltr tank and dont know of any1 local who i can get 25ltrs off every 2 weeks :(

Hi,if you let us know what day you plan on coming in we can do 3 times that amount free,we are in Redruth.

#13 davemazey

davemazey

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Yeah same mate, just done it today. You should get another container, fill 2 last you a month then. By that time you run out you will wanna do the rounds of l.f.s :)

#14 Keasty

Keasty

Diatom

• New Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi,if you let us know what day you plan on coming in we can do 3 times that amount free,we are in Redruth.

Thanks mate, Jas said today when i came to grab a coral, makes my life a lot easier and a excuse to get another coral :)

#15 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,523 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

Yeah no problem,just grab some next time you are in or need some.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users