• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

What do you all think is the ideal dkh level for sps?
Is it true that high dkh levels accelerate sps growth?i have been told this a few times so would like your views on this,good or bad.

#2 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,537 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

I try and keep dkh stable at 9.6 and get pretty good growth, not tried running higher, seem to remember reading or being told higher dkh will give faster growth buy the coral skeleton will be softer, not sure if true though.

#3 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

Yes this is what i have been told,high dkh levels are said to help sps grow faster but the skeleton grows fragile because it does not get time to form in the normal way,if this is true then perhaps it could also be because other things like minerals are not raised to the same level as the higher dkh,that said its probably just a case of the coral growing too fast.

#4 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,537 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

Just bumping this thread :)

Be interesting to hear what dkh people are running their sps systems at

#5 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Just bumping this thread :)

Be interesting to hear what dkh people are running their sps systems at

mostly in the 9's, 9.3 - 9.6 ideally but sometimes it drops into the 8's

#6 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

As above,we run at 9.3 to 9.6 dkh,i normally have to add either buffer or pro coral mineral on about every third day to stay between 9.3 to 9.6.If the sps system is fully stocked then this amount of buffering gets done daily.

#7 chriss

chriss

Killer Whale

• Administrators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Between 9.6 and 10.4, or the actual way I measure it is between the '4ml' and '3.5ml' mark on the salifert syringe. Pro Coral mineral everyday, dkh buffering as required, maybe once or twice a week, sometimes not at all in a week. And I test at least 5 times a week (porridge in the microwave for 2 minutes is just about the right time to do a test before work).

It hasn't always run at this level, often been lower, much lower :(

Chris
Posted Image

#8 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

I often come across posts on forums with the quote of,i used to test 3 or 4 times a week but because i run a calcium reactor it is stable so i now test no more than once a week,the thing for me is that this is ok if the reactor keeps its input to the tank the same all the time but the minute the reactor under performs the tanks dkh is dropping,this is why like chriss i test dkh regularly,in my case every day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users