• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

I started at 6pm and headed for bed at 6am... I think 12 hours on the tank is a personal record! It was sort of a one thing led to another evening for me, and I ended up giving the whole system a 'Christmas Clean'. The sump was stripped and cleaned along with most of the equipment, though it was actually quite clean anyway, and a couple more electronic items added to the wall in my 'fish corner'. After the 100 litre water change nitrates are down to around 3ppm. I'll be performing another set of tests a little later to see where we're at today and may then do a further 50 litres if I'm feeling energetic! The recently added acro frags are also starting to base out now, so pleased about that. I'm hoping to update with a few more pics soon so watch this space...

Posted Image

#22 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Update time :D (Ooooh, just noticed I'm now a 'Mysis Shrimp', yay!!)

A few frags I picked up on my travels (some of which you may have already seen mounted); I'm always willing to take the motor for a spin when there are frags at stake :D

Acropora (Keep an eye on this one!)
Posted Image

Discosoma
Posted Image

Ricordea
Posted Image

Zoanthids
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clavularia
Posted Image

FTS of the system having added the Caribsea Oolitic, at this time under aqualine buschke 13k's. Not as fine as some would have you believe, heavy enough to hold it's own against an MP10 on full chat. Actually very clean out of the bag, requiring minimal rinsing, I'd definitely buy it again if I were to start another system. As can be seen (and as was expected?!), the rockwork has been rearranged again, not quite in it's final resting place but getting much closer now!

Posted Image

As requested, an older FTS under the blues whilst mounted directly to the halide that I found today. Due to my limited camera skillz at that time (they still suck btw :unknow:) this is not an accurate depiction of the colour.

Posted Image

And a couple of my LPS under them at that time

Lobophyllia
Posted Image

Euphyllia
Posted Image

Finally a few new additions and a couple of growth shots

The previously brown Acro frag shown earlier (Is it me, or is that Acro turning Purple already :drool3:)
Posted Image

Acanthastrea
Posted Image

Turbinaria
Posted Image

Pink Hystrix :D
Posted Image

Seriatopora
Posted Image

More to follow,

K22

Posted Image

#23 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

So is this a system that has already grown out or are you doing it live time? For soem reason I thought this tank had grown out.

#24 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

So is this a system that has already grown out or are you doing it live time? For soem reason I thought this tank had grown out.

Sorry to confuse you bud. As it's a 'tank thread', I thought it would be best to show how the system evolved to where it is today, rather than just posting up current pics of the system growing out which wouldn't really have constituted a tank thread. I am now at the grow out stage, as I've prety much run out of space (though there's always room for just one more Acro :D). I only wish my corals grew that much in a week!

27/10/2010
Posted Image

15/05/2011
Posted Image

Took this pic of my softie bommie the other day... just for you! :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Now I understand!

Looks very nice with the softies.

Looking forward to the rest of the thread.

#26 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Very good,as you have said it is good to see the tanks progress from start right up to present date which gives a better idea on how it was all put together and how it is maintained,keep the updates coming.

#27 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

Looks very nice with the softies.

Agreed, but then I am somewhat biased :sign_lol:

Cleaned 2/3 of the back glass today for the first time ever. Must have spent 2 hours siphoning the sand afterwards getting rid of all the calcareous, and the Goby is now chucking a load more out of his burrow :angry: That'll teach me...

And on a more positive note, params are now back in spec after 150 litres of salty and a few tweaks on the GHL... ↓ :D

Posted Image

#28 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:42 AM

Finished the glass off today, what a pig of a job! I'm hoping it'll grow on me (took me along long time to grow all that algae!) as I'm not convinced by the calcareous-free look atm :ponder: If it's any consolation, it is in reality substantially darker than it appears in the pic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

So I've been a bit slack, it's been a couple of weeks since I added anything to the thread. Having gone through my photos, it appears I didn't go to the trouble of taking any more than have already been posted until I started this thread, which is a shame as it's always nice to see the growth in a picture. So much easier than trying to remember what it was like before. What I've posted up already seems pretty much the extent of it, apart from the latest ones that I've yet to upload :(

Anyway, I've completely changed the layout of the sump over the last few days, which of course involved emptying it, removing the sand bed, cleaning it, and then cutting/fitting the new baffles. I also took the opportunity to redo the pipework. My reasons are simply that the way I want to run the system has changed; in particular I'd like to try the Gyractor from Tony (yes... that guy I upset when I joined the forum... sorry Tony! :blush:) as recently nitrates have risen from a stable 0.5 to around 3ppm.

Previously I ran 3 chambers. Skimmer and Phos Reactor at one end, DSB/Fuge at the other, and return in the middle. Whilst it worked for the equipment I was using, it just wasn't suitable for what I had/have in mind. For a start, the far left chamber is too narrow to fit a gyractor, and of course the effluent needs feeding directly to the skimmer. Then there's the Kent Phos Reactor... whilst I can fault it's operation, the reactor is far from user friendly. The O-Ring doesn't sit nicely in it's groove as it's too shallow, so trying to get the lid back on is always fun. I thought perhaps I could just move the first baffle to get the Gyractor in, but then I didn't have enough space for the intended pair of Bubble Magus Mini's replacing the Kent. The whole lot had to be moved, there really was no other way.

Posted Image

I had a long think about it, and put what I've learned along the way into this latest creation to give me hopefully a little future proofing. The first chamber is now wide enough for a Gyractor and then some, and the skimmer return will feed directly into C1 without the need for angled piping. I've also added a baffle to the second chamber, forcing water in from the bottom which is of course where the pumps are located on the BM Mini's. On the right, I now have an 8"x12" DSB/Fuge area; much smaller but still adequate given I'll be running the Gyractor. The return section has been enlarged also, just in case I feel a sudden desire to add some other random piece of kit further down the line. The baffles have been spaced at 10mm, with the intention of sliding a sheet of filter floss into each one.

Whilst it's difficult to judge the height of each baffle in these pics, I'll take one when it's full so you can see how it flows. And yes, it was a :censored2: working through the bars!

Posted Image

All three bulbs (15w 6500k ES Reflector) moved to the DSB/Chaeto section. I've read that you shouldn't run Chaeto with pearls as it'll compete, but so what if it does? :unknow:

Posted Image

So that's where I'm at with the sump as of tonight. It'll be getting wet tomorrow with more pics to follow :D

Posted Image

#30 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

Well the filter floss between the baffles (whilst a nice idea) didn't work. The floss causes too much restriction and the baffles overflow :unknow:. I'll stick to filter wool in the return chamber as per the original design...

Posted Image

#31 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

I did wonder when I saw it last night. Looks good though.

#32 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,583 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

Looking good,another tank to join the pearl,pellet run tanks which again will help others who wish to follow using the process,another idea that can be good when putting baffles in a sump is to put them in so they don't reach the full width of the sump tank,ie the first baffle ends just short of full width by around 2cm then the second one does the same but is short at the other end this normally allows the water level to even out through out the whole sump and is safer for the pumps.

#33 K22

K22

Mysis Shrimp

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Looking good,another tank to join the pearl,pellet run tanks which again will help others who wish to follow using the process,another idea that can be good when putting baffles in a sump is to put them in so they don't reach the full width of the sump tank,ie the first baffle ends just short of full width by around 2cm then the second one does the same but is short at the other end this normally allows the water level to even out through out the whole sump and is safer for the pumps.

See where you're coming from with that one Linds, but to be honest I'm here every day, and the Osmolator is pretty reliable. I've only ever run with a small return chamber :unknow:. If I go away, I have a fellow reefer round every other day to monitor the system, and I recently saw a reefer on UR fit an IP camera when he went away so he could keep an eye on the tank which I thought was a great idea. Perhaps I'll change my ways when it bites me in the @ss!

Here's a pic of the sump in action:

Posted Image

Posted Image

On a side note, do you guys deal with Bubble Magus at all? Looking for a price on a pair of BM Mini-70's...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users