4 replies to this topic

#1 Karl_roberts

Karl_roberts

New Members

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

Hi all
So I have a african cichlid tank now, but my girlfriend says out of the blue why don't you go to marine fish, I was well surprised when she said this. As she hates the time I spend on them ha anyway she kept on harping on and long story short we were looking at the fish we could get. 
So I've done my research (well tried) watched YouTube clips, got some books and seen what I need to get started but it's alright reading all this but it not the same of some people that have actually got marine fish tanks. 
I was going to change my 260l tank and clean it. 
So this is what I was thinking I'm going to start with live rock and live sand then add the fish then corals. So I have been looking at sand and live rock, what is the best live rock to get? And what sand should I been looking to get thinking of doing a deep sand bed but should I try and find live sand that has come from the ocean or just get the chemically live sand? 

Also been looking a the equipment that need too, but trying to create a marine tank with out a sump at first, so the equipement I have n mind is;
Deltec mce600 
Hydor smartwave controller with 2x korllia 5200 or 4000 not sure what yet
Hagen fluval E series 300w heater
Change my t5 light hood thingy 

Any help would me much appricated 

Karl

Also has anyone brought anything off aquatics to your door

#2 dave14

dave14

Angelfish

• 1,555 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi Karl, welcome to the forum
Sounds like you've done your research which is a good start, I know you say you don't want a sump, but this is a big mistake in my opinion. I started off the same lol. Much easier to get the tank drilled now when empty, you can then set up a deep sand bed in the sump and keep most of the equipment out of the display

As for live rock, have a look at some members tank threads to get an idea of the look you want to acheive, then choose the pieces and shapes you require. Bear in mind if it's not fully cured you will have to wait until it has cycled before adding livestock.
Don't know where you're based but if in Cornwall get down to Jasons Aquatics, they can get you started, and normally have live rock fully cured.
As for sand I wouldn't bother buying it live, it will all become live anyway, best way is to get a cupful from someones sump to seed the new stuff, don't go for really fine stuff though or it will get blown all over the place by the pumps.

Hope this helps, good luck with it :)

#3 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,579 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

Hi, welcome to IR,Dave has covered a good few points above and with research on here you will find most points covered but that said any questions you have on things you are unsure about post up a question,the key to success is taking your time and research and the only silly question is the one you don't ask.
One other thing to have a look at when changing a fresh water tank into marine to keep corals is the tank,if there is a dark blue colour to the silicone around the tanks glass inside it would suggest that copper was been used in the past to cure fresh water fish pests,this can be a problem for corals.

#4 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hi Karl,
Good to have you on here. Cant really say much different from above. On the skimmer front the mce 600 is a very good skimmer but a big skimmer for your size tank although will be handy if you plan to up grade your tank in future. I think the mce 300 or 500 might be a better choice for your tank.
When it comes to live rock buy the pieces of rock that make your decoration look good if that makes sense as some of the old kilos to liters ratios will end up being very expensive and uneccessary. Also dont buy live sand as it is a waste of money. Buy the best kit you can afford. Ask unbiased people like us before buying kit or livestock as it could save you a fortune in money, time and stress.

Cheers

#5 Karl_roberts

Karl_roberts

New Members

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi Karl,
Good to have you on here. Cant really say much different from above. On the skimmer front the mce 600 is a very good skimmer but a big skimmer for your size tank although will be handy if you plan to up grade your tank in future. I think the mce 300 or 500 might be a better choice for your tank.
When it comes to live rock buy the pieces of rock that make your decoration look good if that makes sense as some of the old kilos to liters ratios will end up being very expensive and uneccessary. Also dont buy live sand as it is a waste of money. Buy the best kit you can afford. Ask unbiased people like us before buying kit or livestock as it could save you a fortune in money, time and stress.

Cheers

The reason why I was thinking of getting the mce 600 so that I can over skim plus the 500 is 20 less than the 600 so might as well get the 600. But is it a going to cause a problem for the tank if I get the 600? I've found someone that sells live rock 7.50 a kilo and looks quite good :) to cycle my tank do I need live rock and sand and place the live rock on top of the sand? I would like to get sand instead of crushed coral as it looks better and more realistic.
Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users