• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

Did I say phosphates, I ment phosphates and nitrates. As of yet the pearls are managing on there own in my tank, but I do maintain another local reef tank and in this one the PO4 reactor has been employed.

I'm on version three of my plastic structure at this point and this time I think I've cracked it and with the least rock yet :ohyea: as in no rock at all except what some of my corals are stuck to. PICS PICS PICS coming soon.

#22 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hooked up my pearls and reactor the other night so I'm interested in seeing how things go. I've half made my plastic structure but now waiting on parts from B&Q but apparently it will take another 2 weeks to get the parts :threatenlumber:

#23 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

In terms of the plastic structure it's really worth taking a heat gun to it (or doing what I did and hanging the pipe over the gas hob in the kitchen) to get some natural looking kinks and some nice sculptural bends. I have to say though that credit for this idea has to go to Jas and in my opinion made all the difference for me. I tried a version or two and after putting it all in the tank and then pulling it all out again three times I wish I'd taken a bit more time in the first place. I will post a pic or two today. Oh and a good firm flat base is also needed.

#24 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

Sounds good looking forward to the pics m8.

#25 john h

john h

Tang

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

:drool3: yes hurry hurry and take plenty!!!!!

#26 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Sorry for the pic quality but it gives you a rough idea of the scape in terms of the pipe work and how I've managed to situate the colonies I already had and a few new ones too.

FTS with sump

Posted Image

FTS

Posted Image

Top down

Posted Image

Left side

Posted Image

Corals

Posted Image

Corals

Posted Image

Corals

Posted Image

I'm going to add a few with the halides on later when I get a chance, got the day to potter today so I'm doing a water change, algae clean, cleaning all the pumps and the skimmer. More to follow...

#27 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

Very good,lots more open room for flow and growth.I was unsure on how the pipe would look when heated and shaped when jas talked about it but looking at the above it does work and looks good,good job done and will be good to see how it all looks when grown out in the future,great pictures m8.

#28 dylan

dylan

Angelfish

• Banned
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

sorry i havn't been on the forum for a while just got a new laptop,, love the design mate looking real good, have u got rid of a few corals??

#29 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the kind words Dylan, yes quite a few LPS have gone as I'm concentrating predominantly on SPS and zoanthids

#30 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Well done dojo I think thats the best one I've seen. What lighting r u using to have sps on the bottom.

My design is very different. I'm having plastic platforms behind a facade of LR. Hopefully will look good. Still waiting for parts.

#31 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback blacktip, I'm using a 400w 12k reeflux and 2 strips of TMC blue LED's - the tank is only 22" deep with the water level at 20".

One of my first attempts was the plastic platforms behind the rock, I used a combination of egg crate, cable ties and plastic pipe and sat it all behind a wall of zoanthids, LR and LPS. For me It felt like a lot of space was wasted and it just didn't look right, it seemed to loose it's three dimensionality maybe it was the dimensions of the tank?

Anyway oiking out that LR and biting the bullet with the bare pipe was the best thing I ever did, the amount of space and increased flow alone make it worth it but with the pipe only method really the sky's the limit. You're only limited by your imagination. Only my experience but i thought worth mentioning.

#32 Mark H

Mark H

New Members

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi all,

I have only just joined the forum after chatting with Jason he recommended I head over and see what you guys are up to. I have been thinking about having a go at a rockless system running with pearls for a couple of months now and as I am about to move house this is the ideal opportunity to have a go at changing my system completely. Initially I am going to set up a new system in a 24x24x18 heigh tank that is going to be dedicated to zoos with the inevitable odd coral I just could not say no to hear and there....

All of the info so far is invaluable and has really helped as has seeing that other have had this idea and are running with it already!

Thank you for the inspiration and I will keep you updated once the house move is over and I can start the build.

Watch this space...

kinds regards,
Mark

#33 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hi all,

I have only just joined the forum after chatting with Jason he recommended I head over and see what you guys are up to. I have been thinking about having a go at a rockless system running with pearls for a couple of months now and as I am about to move house this is the ideal opportunity to have a go at changing my system completely. Initially I am going to set up a new system in a 24x24x18 heigh tank that is going to be dedicated to zoos with the inevitable odd coral I just could not say no to hear and there....

All of the info so far is invaluable and has really helped as has seeing that other have had this idea and are running with it already!

Thank you for the inspiration and I will keep you updated once the house move is over and I can start the build.

Watch this space...

kinds regards,
Mark

Welcome to IR,looking forward to seeing your tank build on this thread which will help the thread to grow,it is also going to be good to follow all the tanks as they grow out.

#34 TrevC

TrevC

Angelfish

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Dojo, tank looks great.

How are you getting on with "balancing" your system?

I have taken Lyndsay's advice and reduced the amount of pearls down to around 300ml and cut back on feeding.

Still getting great colours and all corals are polyping well.

I am finding that the Gyractor needs to have a little service now and then as the pearls do "clump" a bit at the very bottom.
But this is easily remidied by a few gentle lifts of the centre feed pipe to loosen them off again.

Will get round to some piccys soon.........

Hi Mark H, welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

TANK 48 x 24 x 24

NO LIVE ROCK WHATSOEVER

VORTECH MP40
2 x Tunze Nano

48 x 18 x 17.5 SUMP
NO LIVE ROCK IN HERE EITHER!
SCHURAN JETSKIM 150
SCHURAN JETSTREAM 1 Ca REACTOR
"GYRACTOR" running "BIO PEARLS"
EHEIM 1262 RETURN PUMP

FISH AND CORALS SUPPLIED BY
JASON's AQUATICS

#35 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Dojo, tank looks great.

I have taken Lyndsay's advice and reduced the amount of pearls down to around 300ml and cut back on feeding.

I am finding that the Gyractor needs to have a little service now and then as the pearls do "clump" a bit at the very bottom.
But this is easily remidied by a few gentle lifts of the centre feed pipe to loosen them off again.

Thanks for the kind words Trev, the system seems to have balanced out quite well at the mo. Like you I have 300ml of pearls but I don't suffer with the Gyractor clogging maybe I'm running mine a little quicker? and yes please pics pics pics ( with FTS)!!

#36 lindsay

lindsay

Sponsor

• Members
  • 10,553 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Dojo, tank looks great.

Sounds good look forward to some pics,when i find time to get back on the American forums ile take a look to see what sort of average amount of media they have settled on,i know it will depend on stocking levels and system size but it may still give some idea on how much media they are putting in.

#37 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Here are what Vertex have to say about their product:

http://www.vertexaqu...Pellets FAQ.pdf

#38 jason@jasonsaquatics

jason@jasonsaquatics

shark with HUGE teeth

• Administrators
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

Tanks looking lovely Rich,cant wait to see these tanks all grown out.

Keep the pics rolling in guys

jas
untitled.jpg

#39 dojo

dojo

Tang

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Here are what Vertex have to say about their product:

http://www.vertexaqu...Pellets FAQ.pdf

Just to say that I thought the information Vertex have included in their packing for this product is very useful and worth a read :threatenlumber:

#40 Blacktip

Blacktip

Trigger Fish

• Members
  • 957 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

I thought it was good too. Not how I did it mind! My nutrients were low so just swapped over. No ill effects from it. My nitrates are up to .5 and to be honest would be happy if they stayed there. My reactor is a bit blocked at the top so need to sort that out.
Still waiting for plastic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users